Australia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Aussie posting here with a British husband and British 10 month old son (haven't applied for his Aussie citizenship yet). Just got to the part of the 309 partner visa application where it asks about members of the family unit.

I had planned to do a separate citizenship application for my son who is 10 months old, which is only a few hundred dollars.

I'm worried that if I list my son on the partner visa application, that I'll end up having to pay a bigger fee (looks like it's ~$9K instead of ~$8K).

I don't know how to describe my son on the partner visa application in this case? Do I just leave him off? Does he come under the 'non migrating members of the family unit? Copied the definitions from the immi.gov website below.

I'm only a few pages into the application and already finding it to be a pain...!!!

Thank you :)

Migrating members of the family unit
List only members of your family unit who are applying to migrate with you.* Do not list your Australian citizen family members or Australian permanent resident family members.

Non-migrating members of the family unit
List all members of your family unit who are not applying to migrate with you. This includes your Australian citizen family members.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi Guys,

Aussie posting here with a British husband and British 10 month old son (haven't applied for his Aussie citizenship yet). Just got to the part of the 309 partner visa application where it asks about members of the family unit.

I had planned to do a separate citizenship application for my son who is 10 months old, which is only a few hundred dollars.

I'm worried that if I list my son on the partner visa application, that I'll end up having to pay a bigger fee (looks like it's ~$9K instead of ~$8K).

I don't know how to describe my son on the partner visa application in this case? Do I just leave him off? Does he come under the 'non migrating members of the family unit? Copied the definitions from the immi.gov website below.

I'm only a few pages into the application and already finding it to be a pain...!!!

Thank you :)

List only members of your family unit who are applying to migrate with you.* Do not list your Australian citizen family members or Australian permanent resident family members.

List all members of your family unit who are not applying to migrate with you. This includes your Australian citizen family members.
Just based upon what you have posted here and in your other thread, it may be wise to acquire your sons citizenship first before applying for a partner visa.

As I said in your other thread, it also may be of benefit to consult with a migration agent to help you through this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Samsamsam,

I have applied partner visa and I didn't included my daughter in my partner visa application because she is an Australian citizen and that time she hasn't have it. I applied her citizenship by descent only few months after lodged 820/801.

I filled out my parents as Non-migrating family member units. I am not sure about others. Everyone has different experiences. Good luck 😊

Hi Guys,

Thank you

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello,

We have been in the same situation and in the end we decided to not put our kids as non-migrating, but included them as part of family unit.

We have written ''Non migrating'' document with the explanation why we do not include them, that we are going to wait for their citizenship, passports and when all being granted, then we will all travel together to Australia

As the 309 visa takes long time to process, meantime we will apply for citizenship's and passports and at the end of the journey they will be going home, not migrating - no visa needed. But there is also an option to apply for kids visa when you lodge the application, you can add it later on or even after the visa being granted. I know, you do not want a visa for your son, but the option is there.

We also written that we are applying for the citizenship and we will update the department on any news, upload documents when we receive them.

Yesterday we just finally applied for kids citizenship, so I just uploaded the Citizenship Application receipt to my 309 visa application.

By the time someone will open my visa application I believe we will receive their citizenship and also maybe their Australian passports, so it will clear any confusion.

I hope this will help.

Vicky

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

We have been in the same situation and in the end we decided to not put our kids as non-migrating, but included them as part of family unit.

We have written ''Non migrating'' document with the explanation why we do not include them, that we are going to wait for their citizenship, passports and when all being granted, then we will all travel together to Australia

As the 309 visa takes long time to process, meantime we will apply for citizenship's and passports and at the end of the journey they will be going home, not migrating - no visa needed. But there is also an option to apply for kids visa when you lodge the application, you can add it later on or even after the visa being granted. I know, you do not want a visa for your son, but the option is there.

We also written that we are applying for the citizenship and we will update the department on any news, upload documents when we receive them.

Yesterday we just finally applied for kids citizenship, so I just uploaded the Citizenship Application receipt to my 309 visa application.

By the time someone will open my visa application I believe we will receive their citizenship and also maybe their Australian passports, so it will clear any confusion.

I hope this will help.

Vicky
HI Vicky, we are in the same situation, I was wondering if you have heard anything back about citizenship? We been waiting 3 months and still nothing 😷

·
Registered
47 Posts
HI Vicky, we are in the same situation, I was wondering if you have heard anything back about citizenship? We been waiting 3 months and still nothing 😷
Hello,

I would not worry too much about it. When we applied for the citizenships they had timeline 3-4 months and today it is 6-8 months. So we are still waiting for it as well but in meantime we already heard from my 309 visa dep. to send them my health check and CR. It looks like I may get visa faster then kids citizenship

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi 🙃 was just wondering, hoped someone at least have heard something back.
In the other hand, my own offshore application was granted this morning, so hopefully all other visas for everyone will be finalised soon too 😊
Hello,

I would not worry too much about it. When we applied for the citizenships they had timeline 3-4 months and today it is 6-8 months. So we are still waiting for it as well but in meantime we already heard from my 309 visa dep. to send them my health check and CR. It looks like I may get visa faster then kids citizenship

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.