Australia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I realise that this might be one of the smallest groups in the forum, and therefore, it would be nice to share our experiences given the lack of information on the workings of Australian embassies in this region.

So here goes nothing:

Married in Australia
Visa 309 applied in May 2018

PCC awaited from Japanese police

Anyone in the same boat?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi!

I'm based in Tokyo, living with my American husband (we got married here). We applied on March 13th, 2018. Applicant health check/police check were requested by the Seoul embassy at the end of April, and we provided them on March 18th. No contact since.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply.
Did you get your medicals done in Tokyo? We are down in Aichi so will have to travel to a big city to get mine done.
I am not sure if no contact is good or bad. They are probably satisfied, and you will probably go straight to grant. Here is hoping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We did get them done in Tokyo.

From what I've read in other threads, it seems like we might have to wait until the start of the new financial year for grants. Hopefully we both get good news at the start of July! Have you had any contact from Seoul yet?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't heard anything from the embassy except for the PCC request letter which we asked for anyway.

I am sorry, but what do you mean by the financial year? Does it start in July for immigration purposes? I assumed that it was April 1st. I hope they don't keep us hanging that long...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Married in Japan.

Applied for Partner visa January 30 2018.

Was asked to provide both Japanese and Australian police checks March 29th, 2018.

Have heard diddly squat since then.... wife arrives in Australia in 11 days!!!

S

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey! Thank you for responding.

I wonder how many Partner applications go through Seoul at all to justify this kind of wait. I haven't heard a peep from them since we uploaded the PCC last week. I suppose it is too early to start fretting hearing your story.

Did you mention in your application that your wife would visit Australia soon?

In any case, keep us posted and best of luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone!! I got my Visa while my partner and I were in Japan, so I thought I'd share my timeline! The waiting does suck, but I think Seoul is one of the faster processing times!!

Applied: September 9, 2017
Request for more information: December 13, 2017
Health Check Done: December 21, 2017 (I think :D Done in Osaka)
Police Clearance Provided: January 11th, January 12th, and January 26th (asked for an extension for third police cert, was approved)
Visa Granted: March 9, 2018

So all in all, it took exactly 6 months to the day !
I didn't hear anything other than when they asked for the health check/police certs, and when I advised them I was travelling to Aus for Christmas, and asked for an extension for the third police cert.
I got emails from different people, so not just one CO was appointed, I don't think.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello everyone!! I got my Visa while my partner and I were in Japan, so I thought I'd share my timeline! The waiting does suck, but I think Seoul is one of the faster processing times!!

Applied: September 9, 2017
Request for more information: December 13, 2017
Health Check Done: December 21, 2017 (I think :D Done in Osaka)
Police Clearance Provided: January 11th, January 12th, and January 26th (asked for an extension for third police cert, was approved)
Visa Granted: March 9, 2018

So all in all, it took exactly 6 months to the day !
I didn't hear anything other than when they asked for the health check/police certs, and when I advised them I was travelling to Aus for Christmas, and asked for an extension for the third police cert.
I got emails from different people, so not just one CO was appointed, I don't think.
Thank you for the detailed response.

I have not heard anything from them after the PCC was submitted. Did you get any acknowledgement when you requested an extension?

It seems that my agent is convinced that we will be assigned one CO down the line. I love hearing from people who have managed to sail to the other side though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the detailed response.

I have not heard anything from them after the PCC was submitted. Did you get any acknowledgement when you requested an extension?

It seems that my agent is convinced that we will be assigned one CO down the line. I love hearing from people who have managed to sail to the other side though.
PCC is police clearance?
Yeah, I sent an email saying my Canadian wouldn't be in before the deadline, and 3 days later they just sent me an email back that said thanks for letting us know, we've given you a 28 day extension, hope this is of assistance to you
I also did the whole application myself though so maybe it was quicker than going through an agent ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We were not told of any extensions, but the agent said that usually they just gave the extension and didn't bother responding.

I wonder why the process be longer if going though an agent. I thought that given a MARN agent was involved, the case officers could expect fewer problems in the application, since most agents would not even submit an application unless it was ready to go.

I suppose the embassy won't bother looking at our application before the 28 days are up. It is such a pain to wait though.

The Japanese police was really slow and bureaucratic making us lose two paid days off. I will need to take another holiday to get my medical done, and it would be nice to know when.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We were not told of any extensions, but the agent said that usually they just gave the extension and didn't bother responding.

I wonder why the process be longer if going though an agent. I thought that given a MARN agent was involved, the case officers could expect fewer problems in the application, since most agents would not even submit an application unless it was ready to go.

I suppose the embassy won't bother looking at our application before the 28 days are up. It is such a pain to wait though.

The Japanese police was really slow and bureaucratic making us lose two paid days off. I will need to take another holiday to get my medical done, and it would be nice to know when.
The only thing I can think of is the time the agent takes to process, check, and then upload the evidence rather than you uploading directly ?
And maybe they gather all of the evidence before they apply for you? I applied and then uploaded my evidence over a few weeks
I'm not sure though!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

Asked for additional evidence as proof of relationship before we moved in together, which was at least half a year before we applied for the visa.

Neither I nor my spouse is into social media and we don't like our photos being clicked too often. Therefore, we have scant evidence in the way of photos of both of us in the same frame from a year ago. We hadn't planned on moving to Australia then and thus, didn't feel the need to keep proof of something that was so private to us. Luckily, I found a few Skype messages going back two years, but it is painful to share personal messages that were meant for our eyes only.

I have compiled a few screenshots and submitted them. Let's see what happens next.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Update:

Asked for additional evidence as proof of relationship before we moved in together, which was at least half a year before we applied for the visa.

Neither I nor my spouse is into social media and we don't like our photos being clicked too often. Therefore, we have scant evidence in the way of photos of both of us in the same frame from a year ago. We hadn't planned on moving to Australia then and thus, didn't feel the need to keep proof of something that was so private to us. Luckily, I found a few Skype messages going back two years, but it is painful to share personal messages that were meant for our eyes only.

I have compiled a few screenshots and submitted them. Let's see what happens next.
Well, at least there is some progression!!! My wife and I are the same, we don't do social media or selfie pics together.... We also had issues with proving sharing finances as Japan doesn't allow joint named bank accounts and its a cash society. Everything was in wifes name, as she had already had her appartment for many years before we met... We also weren't planning on coming back to Aus... so our "submitted trail" is a bit weak...

My wife arrived in Sydney on Sunday (arrived on a Tourist visa) , and we got a joint bank account yesterday, Im trying to get all the bills names changed to include her name on them......to prove to immi that we are financially intertwined.

Im guessing we'll have to apply for a bridging visa or something.... they don't make this shite easy do they.

Best of luck to everyone here..

S

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, so you haven't applied for a Partner visa yet? I wonder what the rules for onshore visas are.

The financial evidence is a big problem. Neither of us is Japanese and buying joint assets is a waste of money when we dont intend to settle down here anyway.

It is like being on trial. It is so sad, it is almost funny.

Hope your situation works out soon.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts