Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

309 visa application from Nairobi Kenya.

42K views 261 replies 31 participants last post by  Mkenya 19 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

just wondering if there is anyone applying from the Nairobi office. 2019 new year had me very excited and then I came back to this site and I now kinda feel like I have to adjust my expectations.

We applied September 5 2018 for a 309 partner visa. I have a 2 year old with my husband who is Australian. She has citizenship n lives with me. My immiaccount currently shows "further assessment" from 2018 16th Nov. I havent heard from anyone and I know I am in a high risk country.
Have provided medical and police records as had been requested.

Questions. Anyone here applying from the same office and got their 309 without too much hassle time wise and anything else? (Take that with a pinch of salt)

Anyone know exactly why the character federal police certificate is needed from Aussie sponsors and what exactly they need from it for a positive visa outcome. (Hope that makes sense)

#2 ·
I also applied through Nairobi for my PMV in June 2018. Medical and police checks submitted in August 2018. But the visa is yet to be granted, my dear. My fiancé lives in Australia. I am in Uganda. I think the best thing to do now is to patiently wait though not the easiest thing to do! I wish you luck

#3 ·
Thanks. You too!! Can I ask what your immi account reads? Mine reads further assessment. I wish I knew exactly what that meant. Last updated november 16th 2018 and since our months are not too far apart we can tell what month they are working on. It's a stretch but 🏾. Can you tell I am eagerly awaiting this visa?!
Thanks

#5 ·
Thanks. You too!! Can I ask what your immi account reads? Mine reads further assessment. I wish I knew exactly what that meant. Last updated november 16th 2018 and since our months are not too far apart we can tell what month they are working on. It's a stretch but 🏾. Can you tell I am eagerly awaiting this visa?!
Thanks
We applied through a Registered Migration Agent based in Australia who uses his immi account and all communications pass through him. So, i have no access to his immi account to know what it reads. But sometime in December, they requested for the form 80. The wait is killing but let's keep our hope. Do you know someone who has applied through Nairobi b4 and how quick they were? I also can't wait to have this visa granted. I have not seen my fiancée for quite a long time... Fingers crossed

#4 ·
I am just about to make my application thru the Nairobi office. My partner and I have 3 kids together who already have their AU passports. I am Kenyan but we are currently living in Uganda..
Does my hubby ( sponsor) need to be cleared first for sponsorship before I submit my application?
Thanks in advance

#6 ·
The best person to answer that would be a migrated agent if they see this. It seems like it's a new law. But I don't know if it's been implemented yet? Maybe check the home affairs website. Personally, I applied in Sept. 5 2018 and I applied first and then he also submitted his sponsorship online. I haven't heard from the offices apart from an auto generated message to get biometrics done and medical. I did that and police clearance for both me and my sponsor husband. Everything seems ready from our perspective.

Hope that helps.

#9 ·
Hi,

I found this on Nigeria.embassy.gov.au
Visa applications from Nigeria

All visa applications to Australia from Nigeria are processed through the Australian High Commission in Pretoria, South Africa. For more detailed information on the visa application process, please visit Pretoria's Visa and Migration website.

Please Google this to confirm since I could be wrong about it. Hope it helps.

#10 ·
Hi everyone, just found this thread, thanks to who ever who started it!

My partner (de facto) is Ethiopian, me Australian. We are both currently living in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

We submitted and paid for his Stage 1 - Partner or Prospective Marriage Visa (300,309/100,820/801) application on 1st July 2018. Last updated by us on 8th July 2018 with all required attachments, a whole lot of evidence and everything else they ask for.

The only communications we have had was in the first week we submitted, to get his health check. After we completed this the app status on our Immi page then changed to "Further Assessment". Mine, as the Sponsor, has not changed the whole time from "Submitted".

We are friendly with the Embassy staff here in Addis, who have told us that we will be processed through Nairobi. I don't have much information on processing times other than 2 (married) couples also Ethiopian-Australian offshore applicants who received theirs both under 6 months in 2017.

I have heard from other couples that it appeared to have helped them to update their application after submission with new evidence or any changes to contact details. It seems to have triggered the case officer with some applications, as they received their visa shortly after making an update. Others were triggered seemingly by applying for a visitor visa while the partner visa was in processing. We will be doing both of these things by the end of the month and will keep everyone posted with how it goes for us...

#11 ·
Hi everyone, just found this thread, thanks to who ever who started it!

My partner (de facto) is Ethiopian, me Australian. We are both currently living in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

We submitted and paid for his Stage 1 - Partner or Prospective Marriage Visa (300,309/100,820/801) application on 1st July 2018. Last updated by us on 8th July 2018 with all required attachments, a whole lot of evidence and everything else they ask for.

The only communications we have had was in the first week we submitted, to get his health check. After we completed this the app status on our Immi page then changed to "Further Assessment". Mine, as the Sponsor, has not changed the whole time from "Submitted".

We are friendly with the Embassy staff here in Addis, who have told us that we will be processed through Nairobi. I don't have much information on processing times other than 2 (married) couples also Ethiopian-Australian offshore applicants who received theirs both under 6 months in 2017.

I have heard from other couples that it appeared to have helped them to update their application after submission with new evidence or any changes to contact details. It seems to have triggered the case officer with some applications, as they received their visa shortly after making an update. Others were triggered seemingly by applying for a visitor visa while the partner visa was in processing. We will be doing both of these things by the end of the month and will keep everyone posted with how it goes for us...
Yaaay!! It's really good to see and hear of and from others processing through Nairobi. I started the thread for that purpose. And so everyone else can kind of gauge the timelines n such. So you're a month ahead and if I hear you got a visa, I'll be excited for us both!!

We submitted ours 5th Sept.2018 my husband is Australian n we have a 2 year old. I live in Ke he lives in AU. It got too expensive for us both to live here. Breaking our hearts our child not with her dad, but we gotta be strong. I also went through the same process you've described. Submitted, prompted for health/biometrics. I did police too and uploaded all, my account changed to further assessment.
My husband's still reads submitted. I emailed immigration last week and got this answer below. I was asking about a paper 40SP

(Thank you for your email. Please note that your sponsor can complete the Form 40SP online from your immi account-therefore you will not be required to upload a paper version.

This application is now in our working queue and well within the service standard time of 12- 17 months. We shall contact you when there are further updates.)

Sigh sigh.

#16 ·
Hi. We are still waiting too! 7 months now...

Yesterday we sent an inquiry to the Nairobi office to ask information or conditions about applying for a Visitor Visa while still waiting for the Partner Visa grant, this morning we received this reply from someone titled "Administration Officer". Note the person doesn't answer our question, yet it is the first communications we have had this whole time, we can only hope it triggers them to assign a CO!

"Dear Sir/Madam,
Your application is yet to be allocate a case officer.
Please be patient and someone will be in communication with you soon."

#17 ·
Thanks Wanjeri for starting this thread, I have been searching to know who else applied from Nairobi. We lodged 309 on 17th Aug 2018. All Evidence documents with Police checks provided and went through medical this year jan. Lodged with a migration agent. We are now in Australia on tourist visa hoping partner will come through soon.
Good luck everyone.

#18 ·
It's so cool to see all these pips on here from Nairobi. It gives a great timeline for everyone. I can't believe the person from July has no case worker 7 months later, what hopes are there for some of us!!

Does the agent have any deets on timelines for Kenya and maybe how long security checks take or what they prioritize?

#19 ·
One good thing from your message is that they replied stating 12-17 months rather than 13-18 which is what it states on our immi application info!

We uploaded some additional evidence docs last week (photos together from the past 6 months plus some recent joint travel records). I also sent the High commission an inquiry through their website today, let's see if either of these actions make any difference...

The only info I have is that the Nairobi high commission process visas for more than 20 countries across the continent. So it is plausible that they may be under-staffed to cover that large number of countries, hence why it may take longer than other visa processing centres? Yet on the positive side, I read on the homeaffairs website today that partner visas are the first priority for processing from all family visa categories worldwide. So let's keep patiently waiting and see...

If we don't get our grant in the next 3 months at the latest, I think we will apply for a Visitor Visa and just stay in Aus on that until the grant comes through.[/QUOTE]

Uuuuuuuh, thats a lot of countries.

We've been thinking of lodging a visitor visa toi but what are the chances of multiple entry? Also, been thinking of waiting to see if we pass the 12 month mark so the visitor visa can be valid for the next full year and hopefully the 309 comes in before the 17 month mark.

Problem is no work in that period. 😕

The 12/17 month email was a reply before the gov changed to 13/18. Why does the country have to have a long wait period for this visa, it's very frustrating.

#20 ·
#21 ·
This is a good find!! Based on my experience this information is accurate!

Because we have news - my partner received his grant last Friday! That's 8 months processing time for us. As you know, it was all starting to drag on... but now we have relief.

Our application was front loaded back in July last year, we had no commutations from the dept during processing, at all.

Advice - be patient and it will just surprise you one day!

#26 ·
Thank you for your email. Please note that that you can apply for another Visitor visa application as you wait processing for the Partner visa application. At this time , we cannot guarantee that the application shall be successful until an assessment is completed by a case officer and all requirements are met .

Please advise what new evidence you have provided so that we can check if the documents have been uploaded in the immi account.

On immi, the please confirm if you have attached...wasn't clicking.

#27 ·
For us we applied tourist visa 600(Sept 2018) right after we applied 309(Aug 2018), it took so long to process but it was approved. And it worked alright as we travelled Oz in december while our visa was still at an early stage. They require strong financial Evidence to support as a genuine tourist and strong ties to return home (job,title deed,own property, family, school), statement /invitation letter, Proof of previous travel, bank statements, money remittance (western union, bank transfers)payslips, employment contract,acknowledment letter of partner visa.

#28 ·
So not the standard 28 days? That's a lot of evidence. Are you still in Australia, if so, did you take a leave off work? We are thinking if we hit the one year mark, it might be a good idea to take this visit visa. But I dunno what I can put as strong ties to come back when hubby and baby are with me 😋.

I wonder if you'll be getting your visa soon? Jana123 got their visa grant and they were a July app and your August. I'm a Sept app. Cross fingers, toes and tongue. Lol

#29 ·
Hi, yes we still in Australia, I was not employed, mine was own business and study. I wish we could tell when will get the 309,it can be pretty frustrating staying in this limbo. Hope/think you will get your visa soon,when you have a child seperated with dad heard the department is more considerate (but ofcourse there so many other things affecting the process).

#32 ·
Hi guys, hope you guys are having a nice long Easter weekend. Anyone with news from Immi, been hoping to get some but nothing yet,On tourist visa while waiting to hear partner visa finalized, although am with my husband and kids here, which is great but am not allowed to work, and also our visit visa is finishing in May, I keep thinking when will this uncertainity end so that we all can move on with our lives. Sigh Sigh Sigh

#35 ·
I've been waiting to hear if you've gotten yours so I know I'm next, lakini wapi. With kids, you should probably get the 100 even.
Is your visit Visa a 3 month multiple entry or single. Coz if its multiple, technically its valid for a year and you can fly to Bali or NZ and just come back after a few days IF its multiple entry.
Also, have you emailed immigration Kenya?
Let's see what happens after Easter. Here's to getting visas soon!!!!

#38 ·
Hey, I thought it was an "I got my Visa email!!"
I hope they grant you the 100 let alone 309. We hit the end of the 8th month mark on the 5th of may, so you can imagine I'm just checking my email. Hoping for great news!! Praying all the time. Did the email literally say extend if good news doesn't come through? Are they tempting you with a bone?

#41 ·
Hi, any news yet, just an update from my end,received an email from Immi 2 weeks ago to provide Police clearance from kenya as the one had previously provided has expired. Am still in Australia, had to submit Police check application with kenyan high commission. Wonder how long that will take... Hope that will be it for visa to come through.

#44 ·
Hey Guys,

I went through this hasle. I am a Kenyan and applied my 309 visa in Nairobi in 2014. Got my visa in 9 months. There was no AFP clearance requirement from sponsors by then. It was only Police clearance required from the applicant. Sumbitted my application with the police clearance from Kenya. Was no communication for 8 months. Then Medical was requested after 8 months. Visa was granted 24 days after health was summitted.

Things are not as easy as they were back then.

AFP requirement for sponsors is a new thing and I hope it started in 2017 or 2016.

Wish you the best all of you guys.

#47 ·
I am over the moon, here! After 11 months and 12 days, i received my visa last friday evening! I am so so much excited! At last the wait is over Ahuuuu ahuuuu! The application was frontloaded! No interview at all! We applied through a Migration Agent in Australia. I can't wait to see my bae after 4 good years!! Yupiiiii

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.