Australia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I lodged my 309 Visa application on 31 March 2021 and have just received a request for many documents to be uploaded with a deadline of 28 days.
I received the request for more information today 5 May 2021.
I'm freaking out a little.
I applied for the 309 Visa while we are engaged and living apart. We are going to get married in Brazil on the 29 August.
I feel like I've made a mistake and that they could come to a decision before we have actually gotten married.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You don't need to be married to apply for a Partner Visa.
And getting married 5 months after lodging your 309 isn't going to change anything apart from having an additional piece of evidence to upload

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Hi guys.

I lodged my 309 Visa application on 31 March 2021 and have just received a request for many documents to be uploaded with a deadline of 28 days.
I received the request for more information today 5 May 2021.
I'm freaking out a little.
I applied for the 309 Visa while we are engaged and living apart. We are going to get married in Brazil on the 29 August.
I feel like I've made a mistake and that they could come to a decision before we have actually gotten married.
The decision is normally based on situation at time of application, and you don't need to be married anyway, for a partner visa.

I feel sure they are trying to finalise as many of the easy ones as they can, before 30 June.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
You haven't provided enough information to properly assess whether there is an issue with your application or not. But they absolutely can make a decision at any time.

I suggest you get some professional help to respond to the s56 RFI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The decision is normally based on situation at time of application, and you don't need to be married anyway, for a partner visa.

I feel sure they are trying to finalise as many of the easy ones as they can, before 30 June.
Hi JandE.
Do you mean they might make an assessment on how committed to the relationship at the time we applied for the Visa?
This would make me a little worried as we have been apart for 17months due to COVID-19.
The only time we spent together was during a volunteer trip in the Amazon for 10 days and a day and a half in her state where I briefly met her parents and did some touristy things with her.
The majority of our relationship has been online.
I was hoping that with the long application times that we would be happily married and moving on with our lives before they made their decision.
We would have been married last year if it wasn't for COVID-19 :(

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Do you mean they might make an assessment on how committed to the relationship at the time we applied for the Visa?
He means they will make the assessment of the relationship at the time of application, as that is a criterion for the grant of the visa. The time of decision criterion is that you remain in the same relationship.

As I said, get some help to make sure you understand what you have applied for and how you may be able to evidence things. It is too complex to do as a forum post. The amount it will cost is insignificant in the context of the visa application charge.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Hi JandE.
This would make me a little worried as we have been apart for 17months due to COVID-19.
The only time we spent together was during a volunteer trip in the Amazon for 10 days and a day and a half in her state where I briefly met her parents and did some touristy things with her.
The majority of our relationship has been online.
I was hoping that with the long application times that we would be happily married and moving on with our lives before they made their decision.
We would have been married last year if it wasn't for COVID-19 :(
We were living together for 10 months when we were applying, and were advised that we had insufficient for a 309 visa. We opted for the 300 instead to be safer, as the relationship is assessed at date of application. (I think there might be a few exceptions to that recently. But I would not rely on it.)

Your situation makes the subclass 300 seem to be more suitable for you, but getting proper advice might be very worthwhile for you at the moment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts