Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm from the UK, and am getting near the end of my 1st Working Holiday Visa.

After completing my specified rural work I applied for my extension.

To give you an idea of timescales:
End of Oct, applied for 2nd year
End of Nov, I was asked to provide evidence.
End of Dec, I sent all the evidence and submitted

Roll on March... and I'm still waiting.

For a long time the status was "assessment in progress" but then I checked a couple of days ago and it changed to "further assessment"

I called them up and the call center guy said there was no evidence of anyone looking at my case since mid February, and he couldn't tell me what "Further Assessment" means for me.

Can anyone help explain what further assessment means on a 417?
Anyone else had this?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm from the UK, and am getting near the end of my 1st Working Holiday Visa.

After completing my specified rural work I applied for my extension.

To give you an idea of timescales:
End of Oct, applied for 2nd year
End of Nov, I was asked to provide evidence.
End of Dec, I sent all the evidence and submitted

Roll on March... and I'm still waiting.

For a long time the status was "assessment in progress" but then I checked a couple of days ago and it changed to "further assessment"

I called them up and the call center guy said there was no evidence of anyone looking at my case since mid February, and he couldn't tell me what "Further Assessment" means for me.

Can anyone help explain what further assessment means on a 417?
Anyone else had this?

Thanks
Hi Laura, sorry to hear about the long waiting game and poor communication but I'm sure many have been in the same boat. I'm no expert on 417, but "Further Assessment" is simply a refined version of "Assessment in Progress", so in a sense your status hasn't changed unfortunately. The new status differs from the former in that it specifically states that someone has given an initial look at your case, and moved you on to a second stage of processing (whatever that means). So good news, someone HAS looked at your application.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm from the UK, and am getting near the end of my 1st Working Holiday Visa.

After completing my specified rural work I applied for my extension.

To give you an idea of timescales:
End of Oct, applied for 2nd year
End of Nov, I was asked to provide evidence.
End of Dec, I sent all the evidence and submitted

Roll on March... and I'm still waiting.

For a long time the status was "assessment in progress" but then I checked a couple of days ago and it changed to "further assessment"

I called them up and the call center guy said there was no evidence of anyone looking at my case since mid February, and he couldn't tell me what "Further Assessment" means for me.

Can anyone help explain what further assessment means on a 417?
Anyone else had this?

Thanks
Hi Laura!
I'm in the same boat! I have applied and sent more information around the same time as you, and still don't have a reply. Also called them, they couldn't give me any info...

It's been 6 months now and it's really starting to piss me off haha!

Have you had any news so far?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
The processing time is 90% should be completed in 40 days. If you have been waiting for months I would make a formal complaint to DHA and ask for a reason why it is taking so long and explaining everything asked for has been supplied. They are required to sort out your complaint in 15 days, if they don't you can take they comolaint to the ombudsman and ask for their assisstance in resolving your case.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
The processing time is 90% should be completed in 40 days. If you have been waiting for months I would make a formal complaint to DHA and ask for a reason why it is taking so long and explaining everything asked for has been supplied. They are required to sort out your complaint in 15 days, if they don't you can take they comolaint to the ombudsman and ask for their assisstance in resolving your case.
Lena83 , I am afraid that you have misinterpreted the figures stated at : https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/abou...ards/global-visa-citizenship-processing-times.
If you read it carefully it says 90% of visas processed in 40 days, it is not a time limit but rather an indication of how long it takes for the majority of visas to be processed. The OP's case however does seem unusually slow, it is well worth questioning the delay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I know very well about how to interpret the figures. Been in visa processing in australia for 5 years. If I had gone over the 90% of visa processing time I would make a complaint as to what is going on. There is always that chance that you are in the 10% that takes forever. The complaint is a chance to say hey what is going on with my aplication....in their situation I would not sit back and wait without raising the question.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
I know very well about how to interpret the figures. Been in visa processing in australia for 5 years. If I had gone over the 90% of visa processing time I would make a complaint as to what is going on. There is always that chance that you are in the 10% that takes forever. The complaint is a chance to say hey what is going on with my aplication....in their situation I would not sit back and wait without raising the question.
Lena , thanks for your input, all contributions from RMAs are greatly appreciated.
Can you make sure that you put your RMA number and details at the end of every post, as it is a requirement of the forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I'm not an RMA. I meant that I have been applying for various visas in Australia for the past 5 years and know all the basics of visa application..... like interpreting processing times etc. Never claimed to be an RMA.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top