Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody. I am new to the forum.

I have applied as a Canadian for a 417 second working holiday visa on Sept.31.2017. On the application I had noted that I had a tax debt with the Australian Tax Office from my first working holiday. My debt with the ATO had been written off as "non-pursuit, uneconomical to pursue". So my current credit with the ATO was 0$. It wasn't until October 31 that the immigration officer replied that they required further documents such as a waiver or proof that the debt was being payed off. However I am unsure that my debt being written off qualifies. So I have phoned the ATO and arranged for them to bring back my debt because they have previously given me credit for the amount that I owed. However they said it will take weeks for the debt to come back to my balance and it is not until then that I can arrange a payment plan and have official proof. I have notified the DIBP that I have done everything I can at the moment to resolve the debt but still haven't heard anything from them since October 31st and I am suppose to be working in Australia right now. Some questions I have are ; Does my tax debt still count as an outstanding debt even know it was written off as "non-pursuit". If so, do I have to wait for the ATO to bring my debt back and have official proof that a payment arrangement is being made before I can get a visa or are my intentions good enough? Sorry if this is not clear, as it is still not fully clear to myself what I am dealing with.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.