Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I came here from the UK with my husband in November 2010 on a 1 year working holiday visa. I am 28 and my husband is 30 (31 in May 2011).

Since coming to Sydney we have been renting a flat for $320 a week and I've been working in administration jobs for 2 months in one place and 3 months in another. My husband started a job in January with a gym. We've been paying tax for almost all the time we've been here and we've really settled into Sydney life, have lots of friends and respect Australian culture and values.

Things are going very well for my husband at the gym where he works - the company are very impressed by him and want to give him more responsibility and fly him to different cities in Australia where the gym operates. They have made it clear that they won't be sponsoring as it's out of their company policy.

My husband really wants to stay in this job and the manager (who can't sway the decision of sponsorship) really wants him to stay on as well.

Is there any way we can pay for another visa that will allow my husband to work past the 6 months? My husband can't apply for the second year now and even if he did, the gym would probably not wait for him for 3 months only to have him no longer than 6 months again.

My husband has a masters degree in sports science. Is it possible for him to apply for permanent residency or is there something he can do now to get round the fact that he can't obtain a 457 visa? Is there no middle ground?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
The various Immi regulations are pretty much fixed because they are set by legislation which also covers any variances;
. re working for one employer for more than six months on a WHV, it would need to be a very exceptional case and I think you will find a reference under the WHV that states an extension of something like a month may be possible where a person is employed on a special project nearing completion and it would probably be up to the employer to show that situation existed.
No visa can be attained that would allow that, other than getting a skilled visa.

With the 457 out as far as the employer goes, he is really only left with looking at finding an employer willing to sponsor him or an independent skilled application and first thing re that is to see whether there is an occupation on the SOL that his qualifications will match him to and so have a look at all eligibility requirements @ Professionals and other Skilled Migrants - Workers - Visas & Immigration

The other problem he would have is that an independent skilled application could take quite a while and it would need to be an offshore visa with no bridging visa applicable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.