Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my 457 visa application I was asked to submit evidence of English proficiency.
I hold a doctorate from an English speaking university (English speaking country). However, it doesn't fall into the 457 exception: "Alternatively, you can provide evidence that you have completed at least 'five years' of full-time study". Is there any way of working around it? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Unless you meet one of the exemptions below, you'll have to do an English test.

Exemptions from English language proficiency

If your prospective employer is a standard business sponsor, you must meet the English language requirement for visa grant unless you fall into one of the following categories of exempted persons:

• you are a passport holder from Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America
  • you have completed at least five years of full-time study in a secondary or higher education institution where instruction was conducted in English

• the person is an employee of an overseas business who is coming to Australia to work for that company or their associated entity and they have a nominated base rate of pay of at least AUD$96,400

your occupation requires you to hold a licence, registration or membership and:

• to be granted the licence, registration or membership you must demonstrate a level of English language proficiency that is equivalent to or better than the level described on the previous page (test/scores), and
  • you have been granted the licence, registration or membership.

If you are seeking an exemption from the English language requirement on the basis of completion of five years of study at a secondary and/or higher institution where the instruction was in English, you should also provide the following information with your visa application:

• the name and location of the institution/s
  • the level of qualification/s
  • your official transcript from the secondary and/or tertiary institution
  • the number of contact hours of instruction per week delivered in English
  • the number of years of study.

Reactions: Studyinternational

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @CCMS for the answer.
The exemptions are weird in SO many ways since it does not consider several other cases e.g.:
- if you are a native English speaker from a country different to Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, etc.
- that you could hold a MSc or even a PhD in English, Phonetics, etc; that takes less than 5 years to complete.
- you might be even a Lecturer in an English speaking University.

Finally the option of having 'pay of at least AUD$96,400' is not longer accepted.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Thanks @CCMS for the answer.
The exemptions are weird in SO many ways since it does not consider several other cases e.g.:
- if you are a native English speaker from a country different to Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, etc.
- that you could hold a MSc or even a PhD in English, Phonetics, etc; that takes less than 5 years to complete.
- you might be even a Lecturer in an English speaking University.

Finally the option of having 'pay of at least AUD$96,400' is not longer accepted.
Thanks for pointing that out. I should have known better than copying information from the DIBP website! To avoid any confusion:

The English Language Salary Exemption Threshold (ELSET) which exempted applicants (whose salary was over AUD$96,400) from the English language requirement has been removed for applications lodged on or after 1 July 2017.

As a result, English language test results must be provided for applications lodged on or after 1 July 2017 unless:

-the person is an employee of an overseas business who is coming to Australia to work for that company or their associated entity and they have a nominated base rate of pay of at least AUD$96,400
-any of the other current English language exemptions apply (for example, certain passport country holders who do not require English language testing)

You can find the proper wording here: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017L00835

I agree with your sentiments about the exemptions, but I can't see a way around it unfortunately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.