Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I had a 457 that ended earlier this year when I left Australia to take a position in Italy, but a new job opened up so I am moving back. My passport is from the USA, my wife is Australian.

I have a couple of things that I would like to have confirmed. Any help here is greatly appreciated!

1. For various personal/family reasons, we really want to leave Italy in February. I understand that there is no way the 457 will be processed by then, so I was planning to enter on an ETA and wait there for the 457 to be granted. From reading a few posts here, it seems that this can be a problem if the ETA is granted after the 457, which would then cancel the 457. So if I apply for the ETA before I apply for the 457, this problem should be avoided: If the 457 isn't granted before I arrive, then I will enter on the ETA, but if the 457 is granted it will immediately supersede the ETA. Does this sound right?

2. I applied for the previous 457 on-shore, coming from a student visa. They didn't require any police checks. Since I have now spent some intervening time in Italy, I might need to get a police check here. Can anyone comment if I am likely to be required to provide one? I'd like to avoid it if I can. The Italian bureaucracy is.... difficult.

3. I am applying for a new 457 not very long after the previous one expired. Will this make the process easier/harder? Faster/slower? I can think of compelling arguments both ways...

4. Is there anything that I am completely missing here? Is it better to travel to AUS and apply on-shore? I am aware that I could also go with a partner PR visa, but the wait time there is all over the place so I'm a little bit hesitant in case it ends up taking a year...

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you consider applying for a partner visa when you arrive in Australia. You would get a Bridging Visa with work rights and not have to worry about the 457.
Hi Jeremy. Thanks for the reply!

My understanding is that I would have to wait the 3 months in Aus for my ETA to expire before I could work. Is that not the case? Can I have my ETA cancelled somehow after I apply?

I think there is a chance that the 457 would be processed faster than that.

I will be applying for the onshore partner visa eventually, so I guess it would save money if I just went straight for that, but right now time is more important than money...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.