Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I got into a Master's program in CS in Melbourne University for Sem 1, 2012. My wife is working with a technology firm here in India(I am from India too) and her firm will send in her papers for a long stay 457 visa next month. They are not clear if they will have a project which will last for 2-3 years but they are definitely sending her to Melbourne sometime in July/August for 5-6 months. If things work out well, they will move her to some other long term project for 2-3 years.

I am thinking of going with her on the 457 visa and work for 6 months which will help me work there full time and cover at least a year's tuition fees and later commence my course in February.

My dilemma is if I need to apply for a student visa or to study using the 457 visa.

I'll need to get a lot of documentation for applying for a student visa whereas I'll get the 457 visa without any hassle. Also what will be my status if my wife visits India for 1-2 months while I am studying. Please give me some clarification about this.

Many thanks for your replies.

Karthik

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
If you have a look at Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) you'll see you can do all what you plan while your wife has a 457 and the only difficulty could be if for some reason your wife's 457 was curtailed while you were studying but in that case you should be able to then apply for a student visa, and list your wife as a secondary applicant.
The 457 does allow your wife to depart and re-enter like in having a holiday as long as she is still employed.

Based on how things progress, you may even want to consider postponing your study for if there is a possibility that she could get PR through employer sponsorship or even independently, you as a secondary applicant will also have PR and that will have a good impact on your study costs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.