Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just had my 457 visa approved this week. Whilst I am really happy about this I would like to get the ball rolling on permanent residency ASAP. I want to buy a house and saving a 10% deposit is a lot easier than 20% (which is generally required for 457 holders) in addition would like to take advantage of the first home owner grant which permanent residents are eligible for. Also P.R would generally make me feel a lot more secure!

I enjoy my job and it is pretty secure. Have been working for my employer 4 months and as stated 457 granted this week. My location qualifies as regional for visa purposes.

Looking on the home affairs website it appears I would be eligible to apply for a 186 or 187 under the direct entry stream if my employer agreed to nominate me? Even though my 457 has just been granted?

Im struggling to see the benefit of choosing the 187 over a 186 as the waiting times are longer despite being a regional visa?

Would I be better off applying for 189 skilled migration. My occupation is nowhere near the ceiling cap for the year, if I were to score 8.0 in the IELTS I would get 65 points which should get me an invite considering the low level of applicants in my field?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

Just had my 457 visa approved this week. Whilst I am really happy about this I would like to get the ball rolling on permanent residency ASAP. I want to buy a house and saving a 10% deposit is a lot easier than 20% (which is generally required for 457 holders) in addition would like to take advantage of the first home owner grant which permanent residents are eligible for. Also P.R would generally make me feel a lot more secure!

I enjoy my job and it is pretty secure. Have been working for my employer 4 months and as stated 457 granted this week. My location qualifies as regional for visa purposes.

Looking on the home affairs website it appears I would be eligible to apply for a 186 or 187 under the direct entry stream if my employer agreed to nominate me? Even though my 457 has just been granted?

Im struggling to see the benefit of choosing the 187 over a 186 as the waiting times are longer despite being a regional visa?

Would I be better off applying for 189 skilled migration. My occupation is nowhere near the ceiling cap for the year, if I were to score 8.0 in the IELTS I would get 65 points which should get me an invite considering the low level of applicants in my field?
Hi Aarong,

I apologize from the beginning for not having a response for your question but I'm commenting the post so I get notifications about it as I'm very interested in what others got to say. We applied for our 457 visa not long ago but we have the same aspirations than you and that is having pr as soon as we can and buy a house with savings and the help for the deposit scheme for pr/Australians citizens. I would also like to ask you, when did you applied for your 457 visa? Thank you and congrats on the visa getting granted

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
If you qualify for a sc. 189 visa, then there is not much point in going for employer sponsored.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

Hi,

Congrats on your 457 grant. That's a big step.

I was told by my migration lawyer at the time that it is better to wait for 2 years and apply for the 1) Temporary Residence Transition stream than to apply for Direct Entry (as chances of getting it are better, but I am not sure if that is true.

If you have enough points for 189, you're better off doing that as you won't be attached to a company.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.