Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an experienced American Geologist who has been working in Australia for about a year and a half on a 457 sponsored visa.

I want to take 3-6 months off to travel and leave my current job (leave my current sponsor). After that time I'd like to come back to the country and work a bit longer, perhaps under another 457 sponsor.

I've heard that a 457 visa transfer is relatively easy, however mine will have expired 28 days after I leave my current position (unless there is a way to stick around a bit longer?). So could it be as easy to re-obtain a new 457?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I'm an experienced American Geologist who has been working in Australia for about a year and a half on a 457 sponsored visa.

I want to take 3-6 months off to travel and leave my current job (leave my current sponsor). After that time I'd like to come back to the country and work a bit longer, perhaps under another 457 sponsor.

I've heard that a 457 visa transfer is relatively easy, however mine will have expired 28 days after I leave my current position (unless there is a way to stick around a bit longer?). So could it be as easy to re-obtain a new 457?
A 457 transfer is only ever going to be as easy as finding another employer to sponsor you.
As you know, your 457 is dependent on you maintaining employment with a sponsor and to go travelling, you could apply for an onshore visitor visa but then you could have a problem applying for another 457 later because many visitor visas have No Further Stay conditions on them.
If you got a visitor visa and then towards the end of your travelling you found another employer prepared to sponsor, you could consider exiting the country to apply again for the 457 and you may even be able to get back in on your tourist visa or an ETA while awaiting the 457 to be processed.
Have you considered the possibility of delaying the travelling a bit and if you're eligible for an employer sponsored permanent residency visa,seeing if your company is interested in sponsoring you for that.
They may be happy for you to take some time off, or with an ENS you're not legally tied under Immi regulations to remain with the employer anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.