Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I currently have a 457 visa which expires in Nov 2018.
I have lodged an application for 820/801 partner visa in Feb 2016, awaiting a decision (bridging Visa A was automatically issued but not in effect).

My current 457 sponsor will be making me redundant at the end of Sept 2016. I understand I have 90 days in which to secure a new 457 sponsor.

I would like to return to the UK for a few weeks after I am made redundant (probably in November) and I was going to request (in writing) for my current 457 sponsor to pay my travel costs (as allowed under the 457 visa rights).

My questions are:
1) If I travel outside of Australia after I am made redundant will I be able to return or do I run the risk of having my 457 visa cancelled whilst I am away and therefore unable to enter back in to Australia?
2) Assuming I am still in Australia and I have not been able to secure a new sponsor for my 457 visa during the 90 day period will my 457 visa and my Bridging Visa A be cancelled?

Thanks for any help you are all able to provide.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You 457 will be cancelled 90 days after your employer notifies DIBP unless you are able to get a new nomination for a 457. So you can travel to UK and come back within that 90 days on the 457.

If your 457 is cancelled then you BVA will be cancelled as well. You will be able to go to DIBP copliance immediately after your visa is cancelled and apply for a Bridging Visa E. This will stay in effect until your partner visa is finalised. You can apply for work rights on you BVE.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This happened to me, I was on a 457 and had applied for my 820 partner visa when I decided to leave my job and travel with my partner. I wanted to avoid the Bridging visa E so contacted DIBP and the response was that they will not cancel the 457 if they see that you have an application for the 820 processing.

This is also what actually happened, I was on my 457 for maybe 8 months without working for my employer, until the 820 was granted. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You 457 will be cancelled 90 days after your employer notifies DIBP unless you are able to get a new nomination for a 457. So you can travel to UK and come back within that 90 days on the 457.

If your 457 is cancelled then you BVA will be cancelled as well. You will be able to go to DIBP copliance immediately after your visa is cancelled and apply for a Bridging Visa E. This will stay in effect until your partner visa is finalised. You can apply for work rights on you BVE.
This is not true, at least was not for me, they DIBP will not cancel the 457 if they see there is an 820 processing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Donkey,

My situation is quite the same, I applied 820 last year and will be graduated in this December. My student visa will be expired next year in October. If I finishef my study ealier. Will I get my student visa and my bridging visa A cancel or DIBP will do the same like your situation?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This happened to me, I was on a 457 and had applied for my 820 partner visa when I decided to leave my job and travel with my partner. I wanted to avoid the Bridging visa E so contacted DIBP and the response was that they will not cancel the 457 if they see that you have an application for the 820 processing.

This is also what actually happened, I was on my 457 for maybe 8 months without working for my employer, until the 820 was granted. Hope this helps.
Donkey, thank you for your response. I also want to avoid Bridging Visa E if at all possible. Given I already have an application submitted for my 820 I hope DIBP will also not cancel my 457 after 90 days.

Once I am made redundant I will contact DIBP to check. How did you contact DIBP? I hear that the information they provide can sometimes be inaccurate and misleading.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hey Donkey,

Your situation is similar to mine. Just wondering how did you go with the traveling? Were you able to go out and back into Au without issues? I want to go overseas but not sure if it's going to affect my visa application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.