Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently was offered a job in Brisbane and the company has sent in the paperwork so that i can be sponsored on a 457 temp business long stay visa.

My wife has decided she'd like to go to University for a 2 year course and my 6 year old son will go to a private school. I know both these things are cheaper if you have PR but does anyone know if my wife and son have the same entitlements or will be classed as international students and have to pay top dollar?

Regards,
Billy

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
On a 457 TR visa, your wife and son if included are also going to be classed as TR and yes, it's international student fees that you'll have to pay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a 457 TR visa, your wife and son if included are also going to be classed as TR and yes, it's international student fees that you'll have to pay.
Thanks Wanderer, i thought that may be the case. Its quite a difference for my wifes University fee's. They will jump from $2,500 to $10,500 per year.

There goes my swimming pool ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Billy

After reading your post, I checked what our situation is. We have just been granted a Visa 457 for Adelaide. I phoned a couple of schools one of which checked with the International Education Section in DECS, they have advised me that under Visa 457, the school fees would be local; meaning that the cost per child would be what is the prescribed fee for other families. Don't know if different states have different rules but probably worth checking with the school directly. Perhaps you can get your pool after all! All the best !

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hi Billy

After reading your post, I checked what our situation is. We have just been granted a Visa 457 for Adelaide. I phoned a couple of schools one of which checked with the International Education Section in DECS, they have advised me that under Visa 457, the school fees would be local; meaning that the cost per child would be what is the prescribed fee for other families. Don't know if different states have different rules but probably worth checking with the school directly. Perhaps you can get your pool after all! All the best !
You will find some variations from state to state and perhaps even school to school depending on how well regulations are followed but the above is an interesting interpretation of
International Education

In Billy's case, with a son going to a private school and his wife wanting to do tertiary study, that is all quite different from public primary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will find some variations from state to state and perhaps even school to school depending on how well regulations are followed but the above is an interesting interpretation of
International Education

In Billy's case, with a son going to a private school and his wife wanting to do tertiary study, that is all quite different from public primary.
Thanks both, I will call the school i think we have now decided on and ask them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.