Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**NOTE: I know I need to speak to an RMA and I intend to do so before we make any final decisions. But while we are in the decision making process, I have a hypothetical question about "concurrent" visas/applications.**

Me: Canadian/British citizen living in the USA with Australian husband and 2 children (US/Australian citizens). Applied for 309 in January of this year.

My husband has a job offer in Australia and they would like him to start in 3 months. We would like to accept the offer and relocate, probably before my 309 is granted. I (civil engineer) could transfer internally within my company and they would help me obtain a temporary skilled worker visa (457? I think the number changed). BUT:

- If I obtained the temporary skilled worker visa would that cancel my 309 application? Or would my 309 CO let me know when they were ready to issue, I can leave the country and return on the 309 which would then allow me to continue working?

We are trying to find the balance between having me come to Australia on a visitor visa, and not work for up to 12 months (loss of income) and me coming on a work visa and losing the money we've paid for the 309 application already.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
No it won't cancel your application.

Yes the CO will get in touch when they need you to leave the country. (Make sure you keep them informed of your plans).

Yes leaving and coming back in on a 309 will allow you to continue working.

If your 309 is granted prior to your sponsored work visa ensure you cancel the work visa application. If the work visa is granted after your 309 it will replace the 309, you won't be able to get it back without reapplying.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you SO much for your clear and helpful response! It puts my mind at ease to know this is a viable option if things move forward :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.