Australia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Anyone else applying for a 461?

We sent off our application (they only do these via paper, not online) on 18 March, to the London embassy as we are in the UK.

Processing times are 32 months for 90% of applications right now. :eek: and that was before things started to shut down due to COVID-19. I think we may be in for a looong wait, and I'm curious to hear from anyone else who is also waiting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ,

I am applying next week. Next week I will get my PCC. I am in USA. I do not think that there is a long waiting period. Maybe 3-4 months depending upon how sooner you and how well you provide your requisite documentation. I read it on the internet forum yesterday that the family got a 461 visa in 4 months.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're still waiting for acknowledgement from Immigration. Three months and counting.....

Since posting my initial comment I heard that, prior to COVID, applications from the UK were generally approved in 2-3 months. However everything seems to have come to stand still now so who knows how long it will take.

With the Oz border being shut I guess there is no rush given 461 is classified as a temporary visa. 461-holders won't be allowed entry until borders re-open and who knows when that will be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone else applying for a 461

Hi There I have now been waiting 26 months and still I have heard nothing! I am currently in Oz all of this time on a bridging visa, which does not allow me to work or travel outside australia, I did apply last November for a travel visa as we wanted to go to Bali which was granted ( this was all before covid) and we went in our holiday! Now it's just wait and see, I'm hoping soon!!! It's been so long and the processing times are now not showing due to a low application rate! If there is anyone else close to the months that I have waited and have just been granted or even heard back from immigration if love to hear what had happened or what's happening. To the rest hold on tight it's a long slow ride! 🙂
Processing times are 32 months for 90% of applications right now.
and that was before things started to shut down due to COVID-19. I think we may be in for a looong wait, and I'm curious to hear from anyone else who is also waiting.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Immigration office contact for 461 visa

Hi all,

We lodged in ours last Sep 2019 offshore via the designated VF global centre in HK. Only got a notification from the centre saying it got sent but haven't heard anything from Oz Immigration dept.
Although we know very well everything will be slowed down due to COVID-19 but from the time we submitted to the shutdown, there were still a 5 months period for our submission to be acknowledged. But we receive absolutely nothing so we are worried that if they ever receive ours in the first place. Don't want to wait 2 yrs later to find out it was already lost in the mail.

Ours should be a straightforward case (been married for 18 yrs w/o children). But I also read from another thread in this forum saying the lodging place is a determinant for the processing time. Countries with reciprocal agreement will be faster. So I guess HK will be a slow case.

Does anyone know the email address we can ask the Dept. whether the application has been well received?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys!
My first 461 (which was granted in 2015) will expire in October this year.
I have just posted my application for 461 for the second time (to extend it for another 5 years).
I read that a Bridging Visa A will be granted automatically once I have submitted my application.
Can anyone confirm that there's nothing extra that I need to do to make sure I can legally stay in Australia even if my visa expires in October (and if I have not hear back from Immigration yet)???
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, I submitted the 461 application for my wife onshore and got acknowledgement in Nov 2018, its been 21 months and counting. Since this was a paper based application, you can't track them with ImmiAccount. I got frustrated after 20 months and not even a single email since the acknowledgement, called them up and they werent at all helpful .The lady I spoke with was trying to belittle me saying they cant be bothered about providing updates, we will have to wait etc. Yeh that was what I did for 20 odd months. 3 year wait for a 5 year visa, I dont think exists anywhere else on the planet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there, I submitted the 461 application for my wife onshore and got acknowledgement in Nov 2018, its been 21 months and counting. Since this was a paper based application, you can't track them with ImmiAccount. I got frustrated after 20 months and not even a single email since the acknowledgement, called them up and they werent at all helpful .The lady I spoke with was trying to belittle me saying they cant be bothered about providing updates, we will have to wait etc. Yeh that was what I did for 20 odd months. 3 year wait for a 5 year visa, I dont think exists anywhere else on the planet.
Hi ruralnz,

Let me get the timeline right. So you waited 20 months just to get the acknowledgment for your application from the Dept. and then another 16 months to get the visa granted? A total of 3 years, right?

Three/four-years wait is actually fine for us as we live offshore. It takes time to sell our place and wrap things up here anyway. So it's good to know the approximate timeline.

Now that I know the terrible experience you had for calling them up regarding updates, I won't do it for the first 20 months. But just in case it takes way more than 20 months, could you be so kind to tell me what number u dialed? Thanks heaps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi ruralnz,

Let me get the timeline right. So you waited 20 months just to get the acknowledgment for your application from the Dept. and then another 16 months to get the visa granted? A total of 3 years, right?

Three/four-years wait is actually fine for us as we live offshore. It takes time to sell our place and wrap things up here anyway. So it's good to know the approximate timeline.

Now that I know the terrible experience you had for calling them up regarding updates, I won't do it for the first 20 months. But just in case it takes way more than 20 months, could you be so kind to tell me what number u dialed? Thanks heaps.
Hi stong

No we are still waiting, 21 months and counting. We had a confirmation about the paper application being received within a week or two after we posted it from memory(in Nov 2018). Since then, we moved addresses and there was another form to notify Immigration about change of contact details which was basically to fill the form, scan and email which was also responded as "updated". Since then there was no news. I do understand the timeframes, but I think since these are paper based applications they need to provide some sort of tracking mechanism, either upload this to an Immiaccount or send users a link to track progress etc. This long wait, who know if they even made a decision and was posting updates to wrong address....This just happened to me in Australia where we purchased a property and I never received rates notices from the council. After 1 year they made contact via phone saying they have been sending my Council rates to wrong address. How would I have known? Im now asked to pay late payment charges and interest. How is this fair? Just asking us to wait forever without any tracking mechanism and not to be called is just plain unacceptable. People could have changed Addresses and contact numbers, how do we get to see what details they are planning to send updates to.

Oh and yes I called 13 18 81 which is their tollfree in Oz when dialled locally. Pretty sure I had to navigate some menu options(sorry dont really remember the combination) but the two calls I made, 1 was answered in 24 minutes, next in 34 mins. If you want to call just tell them you are not calling to get updates, just need to check you contact details etc as correct and whether its still being processed or a decision made? Thats all we also wanted to know.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I applied for my 461 visa onshore in October 2019. I have been on bridging visa C since then. I was previously on a bridging visa for a 187 application that was refused! Its so annoying how you can't track your progress or anything! I applied for work rights and got them but its so hard for me to find a job as i think the bridging visa is putting a lot of potential employers off me. Im hoping i will hear something soon! I thought the fact that the applications were low meant we might hear a decision sooner!! can anyone tell me, does the five years start from when the visa is actually granted?

hope people start hearing something soon!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone else applying for a 461

Hi There I have now been waiting 26 months and still I have heard nothing! I am currently in Oz all of this time on a bridging visa, which does not allow me to work or travel outside australia, I did apply last November for a travel visa as we wanted to go to Bali which was granted ( this was all before covid) and we went in our holiday! Now it's just wait and see, I'm hoping soon!!! It's been so long and the processing times are now not showing due to a low application rate! If there is anyone else close to the months that I have waited and have just been granted or even heard back from immigration if love to hear what had happened or what's happening. To the rest hold on tight it's a long slow ride! 🙂
Processing times are 32 months for 90% of applications right now.

Hi there,
Applied in August 2018 (28 months ago) and just heard from them for the first time asking for more information - police checks which have expired since application. From what I've read on here this can be a good sign they are processing the visa, but I have learned to not get my hopes up too much! Fingers crossed...will update when I hear anything more. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys!
My first 461 (which was granted in 2015) will expire in October this year.
I have just posted my application for 461 for the second time (to extend it for another 5 years).
I read that a Bridging Visa A will be granted automatically once I have submitted my application.
Can anyone confirm that there's nothing extra that I need to do to make sure I can legally stay in Australia even if my visa expires in October (and if I have not hear back from Immigration yet)???
Thank you so much!
I did the same thing in August 2018 and was sent a confirmation of a Bridging Visa A after applying. There shouldn't be anything extra to do to apply for this, it should be given automatically.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We had lodged ours in Nov 2018 and had an email from Immigration on the last week before Christmas 2020 (after 25 months) asking us to submit additional documentation like Police Clearance, Medicals etc within 28 days. Hopefully we would be able to hear the outcome soon, once we submit the docos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First contact since applying for 461 3rd May 2018

Two weeks ago I received an email (S56) asking for police checks again since expired
I submitted my nz one last week and the Australian one on fri just passed, just wondering now has anyone else had there visa granted since 2018 or recently granted after an s26 request!

I’ve been onshore the whole time and I’ve left the country once last year to go to Bali, I’m just hoping the grant comes soon as I’m pretty much at my wits end because it’s soooo long.

I’m just hoping to hear of some good news as I know we have all been in the same boat!

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Visa granted 1/2/21
Applied 3/4/2018
Heard nothing even after calling once ( I was told they couldn’t tell me anything this was before Covid)

Received S56 extra info required on 8/1/2020 2 police reports from NZ and Australia as one had expired the Australian one I didn’t apply for due to the time limit on processing I knew it would be 12 months plus

All info was returned by jan 29th 2020 and I was granted it a few days later ( I’m onshore)

Glad it’s finally here, the excitement has definitely been taken out of due to the long wait!

But it’s here finally - so yay!!!

All applications where printed filled in and scanned

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi such exciting news thanks for sharing that it gives me a little hope to know they are actually processing things, we sent our application Nov 2019 since then we recieved acknowledgement letter which followed with request for medical but now that's expired lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Visa granted 1/2/21
Applied 3/4/2018
Heard nothing even after calling once ( I was told they couldn't tell me anything this was before Covid)

Received S56 extra info required on 8/1/2020 2 police reports from NZ and Australia as one had expired the Australian one I didn't apply for due to the time limit on processing I knew it would be 12 months plus

All info was returned by jan 29th 2020 and I was granted it a few days later ( I'm onshore)

Glad it's finally here, the excitement has definitely been taken out of due to the long wait!

But it's here finally - so yay!!!

All applications where printed filled in and scanned
if they asked for a medical test does that mean we have a case officer? when did they ask you to do the medical ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts