Australia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I would like to hear of anyone who has been successful at renewing their subclass 461 NZ family relationship visa, despite no longer being in a relationship with the NZ family member.

I have been living and working in Australia for seven years. Five of those years have been on a 461 visa with my Kiwi DeFacto partner (who I was with for a total of 7 years). My current 461 visa expires in December 2017.

I have just submitted my application to renew for another five years which included a submission of:

• 147 form (The 461 application form, stating I am not longer in DeFacto)
  • 80 form (character)
  • A letter confirming our separation, signed by both parties (in addition I informed Immigration of our breakup last November 2016)
  • Supporting ID, police checks and ex-partner's Passport

Now I anxiously wait. If anyone has any similar experiences I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance
Ange

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need this help too! 461 seperation case

Hi,

Have you had any luck on hearing anything yet?

I am needed to do the same I am just waiting for my clearances to come back from UK.

Do I really need to submit my Ex Partners details again? I don't have any contact with him anymore he is now the member of another family. I am single.

Any help with this would be so much appreciated.

Bec

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
As a 461 visa holder you can continue obtaining new 461 visas despite the relationship breakdown until you enter into a new relationship.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Response

As a 461 visa holder you can continue obtaining new 461 visas despite the relationship breakdown until you enter into a new relationship.
Hello
Thank you so much for your reply!

Do immigration require anything from my ex partner in the new 461 visa application I will be doing shortly?

I don't have contact with him any longer. I don't wish to either.

Can you in your experience give me a check list of what I will need ?

Thanks again ,
Bec

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hello
Thank you so much for your reply.

Thanks again ,
Bec
No I can't, because I have never lodged a sc. 461 visa, so I don't have any up-to-date checklists. Reason being is that I have never ever encountered a Kiwi willing to pay for the service and that is fair enough, but the consequence is that I don't bother with these type of applications.

I believe it is relatively straightforward. Maybe someone here can share their personal experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello
Thank you so much for your reply!

Do immigration require anything from my ex partner in the new 461 visa application I will be doing shortly?

I don't have contact with him any longer. I don't wish to either.

Thanks again ,
Bec
Hey Bec

My 461 renewal has been received back in October/November but not yet processed so I don't have much of an update.

The form is a bit confusing as even though there is the option to say that you are separated, it still seems to ask for relationship evidence. I am still in touch with my ex so when I submitted my application he gave me his new passport and address information and also signed a letter that I wrote to say we had separated. I am not sure if that was necesssary though but I figured anything that would support my application is a good idea.

I did also find someone who has gone through the same situation of renewing the visa without their partner with success. I imagine it just depends on individual circumstances.

I can update this forum with more info that might help when my application is processed.

Thanks
Ange

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Angela, any luck with your visa renewal? 🙂 Hope its all sorted out? Do you think applying 2 months prior expiration is good? Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need help with 461 visa renewed if relationship breakdown as I'm soo stressed about it and I can't get any straight answer. Can you please tell me if anyone
were successful in renewing 461 visa after relationship breakdown. Your answer will be much appericiated.
Thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
This has been mentioned before, yes you can apply for the renewal of a 461 visa, even if your relationship has broken down.
Correct, as long as you are not in a new relationship.

Reactions: aussiesteve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Correct, as long as you are not in a new relationship.
Hi Paul, I plan to renew mine. Do you know if there's new restrictions on this visa with the new laws last year?
I'm afraid not being able to travel at all, when I read that :

"This visa allows you to:

work and study in Australia
travel to, enter and remain in Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted."

Does this mean you can enter but not leave, if you want to come back?
Where is "travel from"? :)

Cheers
(source: homeaffairs gov.au)

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Hi Paul, I plan to renew mine. Do you know if there's new restrictions on this visa with the new laws last year?
I'm afraid not being able to travel at all, when I read that :

"This visa allows you to:

work and study in Australia
travel to, enter and remain in Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted."

Does this mean you can enter but not leave, if you want to come back?
Where is "travel from"? :)

Cheers
(source: homeaffairs gov.au)
It's a five year temporary visa. You can come and go as you please during the five year validity period of your visa. You cannot enter, or remain in, Australia once this five year period ends.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Bec and Ange, it's a similar story for me.
My original visa arrived within a couple of weeks in 2011 but the renewal has been lodged for over a year now.
Application was sent to the Sydney office last June.
My relationship has broken down, with no contact and I had no current address or paperwork for my kiwi ex girlfriend.
I don't know if she is still in Australia. I advised of this on the form and had previously informed immigration of the relationship breakdown and my subsequent change of address.

It's a difficult visa to get much information on and I haven't met anyone else on it so it's good to see others in the same situation. I'll update when I get any information
Thanks Vin

·
Registered
3 Posts
My original visa arrived within a couple of weeks in 2011 but the renewal has been lodged for over a year now.
My relationship has broken down, with no contact and I had no current address or paperwork for my kiwi ex girlfriend.
I don't know if she is still in Australia. I advised of this on the form and had previously informed immigration of the relationship breakdown and my subsequent change of address.

It's a difficult visa to get much information on and I haven't met anyone else on it so it's good to see others in the same situation. I'll update when I get any information
Thanks Vin
Hey mate. Any update on your situation? I'm in the same boat.
Ex-wife was kiwi. We divorced a couple of years ago. I applied 17 months ago for a renewal. We don't have any contact at all. She lives in New Zealand now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm now on my second bridging visa B so I can leave the country to visit family.
Fourteen months since applying,
not good news to hear how long it's been for you but then again good to know I'm not alone wondering what's going on!
It's very unsettling waiting. Hoping to hear good news from someone on the forum soon

Thanks Vin
Ex-wife was kiwi. We divorced a couple of years ago. I applied 17 months ago for a renewal. We don't have any contact at all. She lives in New Zealand now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Wondering if you have heard back from immigration office? Just checked the 461 visa eligibility and couldn't find anything like renewal for current visa holders!! I believe there has to be a change... Desperately seeking for some clues..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi,
Wondering if you have heard back from immigration office? Just checked the 461 visa eligibility and couldn't find anything like renewal for current visa holders!! I believe there has to be a change... Desperately seeking for some clues..
I just checked and it still says "Extend your stay: You can apply for another New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461)."

From what I understand it's not really a renewal but just doing the whole application again. Got four years left on my first one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have any updates on their stories. If I select that I have separated, do I still have to fill in my ex partner's contact details?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. Just wondering if you have any more news on this. I'm in the same situation. Did you leave the section blank where it asks for the details of the New Zealand citizen on the 147 form?

I'm now on my second bridging visa B so I can leave the country to visit family.
Fourteen months since applying,
not good news to hear how long it's been for you but then again good to know I'm not alone wondering what's going on!
It's very unsettling waiting. Hoping to hear good news from someone on the forum soon

Thanks Vin
Hi,
I just checked and it still says "Extend your stay: You can apply for another New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461)."

From what I understand it's not really a renewal but just doing the whole application again. Got four years left on my first one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts