Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just finished my university studies in Sydney and am looking to extend my stay through a temporary residence visa. My choices now are the

476 - Skilled—Recognised Graduate visa
485 - Temporary Graduate visa

Both of which serve the same purpose, letting me live and work in Australia. The biggest differences are:

- Stay period (476 gives 18 months while 485 gives 24 months)
- Cost (476 cost only $360 while 485 costs $1500)
- Requirements (476 has more lenient english requirements and does not require a health insurance plan)
- Onshore/Offshore (476 can be applied anywhere online while 485 can only be applied onshore)
- Skilled (I am eligible for 476 as I hold an eligible degree from an Australian institution while 485 applies to all degrees from an Australian Institution)

Basically 485 is a generic visa whereby 476 is abit more specific. It's tempting to apply for the 476 due to the lower costs and requirements. Does anyone have any past stories I can refer to for which is better?

Thanks!
Ben

·
Registered
1 Posts
Skilled Graduate visa

My question is if a graduate from overseas holds a 476 visa.
Then later after compleation of 2 years studies (Master) can they get 485 visa?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
No, they can't. My understanding is that the SC 476 (Recognised Graduate Visa) is available for Engineering Graduates from recognised education provided or from a bachelor degree recognised under the Washington Accord from an overseas university. It is not available to Australian engineering graduates. If you graduated in Australia with either a Bachelor or Masters degree in Engineer, after you meet the Australian Study Requirements (Regulation 1.15 (F)), then you apply for the 485 visa.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.