Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
482 GRANTED with still Pending 187

Hello Everybody,

My wife's application for a 482 short stream as a restaurant manager was amazingly approved in one weeks time. the nomination/application was submitted Thursday the 7th and Nomination/Application approved Thursday the 14th. All required documentation was attached including police clearances and CO did not request any further information and visa was granted.

I can't really explain as to why it was processed so quickly. the migration agent was quite surprised as well. We are both from the USA and live in Byron Bay. There was sufficient labor marketing testing, a genuine need for the role, and very difficult to find any Australian to fill the position. My partner has her Advanced Diploma in restaurant management and almost 3 years managerial experience. A migration agent handled the nomination submission/ application.

To make matters more interesting, over a year ago we applied for a 187 sponsorship with the same restaurant. We then were on a Bridging Visa A. That nomination/application is still processing just for over 12 months. Now two months ago the restaurant sold to new owners and began operating under a new ABN. Even though it is still the same restaurant in the same physical location, unfortunately there was no option to transfer the original sponsoring ABN to the newly operating ABN with that 187 application.

We were against applying immediately for a new 187 visa application as the possibility of being on a BVC for 2 years and not being able to leave the country. Which is why we were then suggested to apply for a 482 to get a substantive visa quickly and avoid be on a Bridging Visa C for an extended period. Ultimately we will end up submitting a new 187 nomination/application under the new ABN this October once my wife has 3 years full-time experience as a manager and while were on our current 482 visa. With the 2 year processing time I imagine there will be a period once this 482 visa expires in March 2020 that we go back on a BVA.

So that's the backstory, quite a long and winding one, so thanks for taking the time read, I hope it made sense.

My question has to do with what to do with the current 187 still processing with the old ABN. Originally I was intending to withdraw the application and request a refund (which I know will most likely not be honoured). However the 482 application got approved before I ever even submitted the withdrawal.

So in the opinion of the members on this forum, is there any harm in leaving this still processing 187 application active? That old ABN is still active (but not trading) and I imagine will be active until the end of the financial year once they are complete with their books.

I'm not holding out that this 187 nomination will be approved, which is while we still intend to withdraw it. But the reason I ask is because currently we are on an interim medicare card, which I'm assuming was another reason the CO never asked for proof of healthcare coverage, as medicare does fulfil the 8501 condition with the 482 visa. Originally we were not intending to purchase private coverage until the 482 was approved and we withdrew the 187 and lost medicare coverage.

However, since that 187 application is still active, this would save us having to get private health insurance until we withdraw the old 187 application, lodge a new 187 in October, and then apply for a new interim medicare card under the new application.

I'm sure this is a pretty unique situation with no definite answer, but just after some honest thoughts and opinions.

And I hope others out there with pending applications get as quick an approval as my wife and I did with the 482. And I only hope that 187 visa applications start processing quicker for all of us out there in the same boat.

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not consult your RMA?
Thanks Westly,

Our migration agent agreed that withdrawing the original 187 application was best for making a genuine application. this was the thought process before the 482 was approved.

Since there was no conflict with the 482 getting approved with an open 187 application, I just would like to get a 2nd opinion. Specifically on what happens if we just let that pending 187 application ride out. If it gets denied, or we withdraw it in 8 months, is there any harm for the current visa and /or future applications...

We are prepared to withdraw that 187, it just 6,000 down the drain, and before doing it, some 2nd opinions are always appreciated. Would you be happy to share your opinion?
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top