Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, just discovered the forum today. I finished my study and graduated on 10th Dec, 2018. Currently on 573 student visa, expiring March 15. I have a holiday planned, back to India for 2 months starting Dec 26th, and now I think it was a bad idea to book tickets, since I havent sorted out my 485 visa application yet. Although I enquired about the process, I just started to apply and I realised that stuff takes time. AFP clearance and Medical and all that.

My question is, will it be okay for me to stick with the current travel plans and come back on Feb 24th and start from AFP and Medical or do you guys think I should return by the end of January and start applying.

Would the airport immigration refuse my entry if I come as late as Feb 24 since I technically "finished studies" on student visa.

The grant notice says last date to arrive 15 March, 2019 soooo :rolleyes:

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
9,759 Posts
Hi Melvin4689 -

Great question - first, note that if you take a close look at the sc485 visa regulations, while you need to include evidence that you have applied for an AFP police certificate within the 12 months prior to lodging the visa application, you do not have to actually have the certificate in hand in order to lodge the visa - only need to have made an application for the correct type of AFP police cert and provide evidence of that application having been made within the 12 months before the application date (note that the 12 month time ends on the day before you lodge - you cannot meet the requirement if you applied for the AFP PCC on the same day you lodged your 485 visa application - the key period of time is the 12 months BEFORE you lodged the visa.

As long as you are returning within the allowed period of your visa, it's very unlikely that DHA will give you any issues at the airport unless there is some sort of reason for concern. Re finished study, note that the 6 month period you ahve to lodge the 485 visa begins on the day you complete your studies, not the day you graduate - many people graduate weeks or months later after the complet their studies.

Hope this helps -

Best,

Mark Northam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Mark for sparing your time. That clarification really helped, I would have never been able to find that out myself. I will apply for the PCC and few days later lodge application.

Oh alright, it was my agent who told me that there could be issues and it got me thinking.

Happy to know how active and helpful this forum is.

Cheers Mark. really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
9,759 Posts
Glad to help, Melvin4689! Do make sure your agent is up to speed on all the "trap doors" in the 485 regulations, especially all the unusual time-of-application documentation requirements - there are things in that visa that you see nowhere else in any other visa - perhaps relics from a time past, but still required. Best of luck with your visa!

Best regards,

Mark Northam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have got another question as well. A few days back I did apply for my health assessment but unfortunately I couldn't get an appointment before my travel plans (26thDec) but I ticked the box which says ' I have not lodged the visa yet'.

Is there anyway I can change that and apply for the visa before I leave so that I can have some peace of mind. Or do you think it's okay for me to come back on Feb 24th and do medical and then apply. Would that be too late since my visa finishes on 15 March.

Thank you for your patience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.