Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure there has been lots of talk here about the recent 457 changes plus occupations slashed from the CSOL. With those recent changes, I’ve personally been affected, and my long term planned path to PR now seems impossible. I’d love to get gather some thoughts from people around here, and maybe gain insights into potential solution.

I’ve completed a PhD end 2016 and immediately proceeded to apply for a 485 Grad Visa, allowing me to work and play here for an additional 4 years. What I had intended to do sometime this year was to apply for the 190 via a Victorian nomination as a “Life Scientist (nec)”. Unfortunately, that occupation has been slashed off the CSOL (or in the rebadged STSOL), thus affecting even the Victorian list of occupations. Even an employer nomination via the 186 would seem to be a no-go, as this occupation is not in STSOL.

Are there alternative or potential path to PR that I could perhaps be missing here? Would love to hear from folks that are experienced in this matter or who have gone through a similar predicament, even in a different skilled occupation.

PS. this post isn’t a rant about the DIBP changes and I totally see this as a luck and timing factor that worked against my situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sure there has been lots of talk here about the recent 457 changes plus occupations slashed from the CSOL. With those recent changes, I've personally been affected, and my long term planned path to PR now seems impossible. I'd love to get gather some thoughts from people around here, and maybe gain insights into potential solution.

I've completed a PhD end 2016 and immediately proceeded to apply for a 485 Grad Visa, allowing me to work and play here for an additional 4 years. What I had intended to do sometime this year was to apply for the 190 via a Victorian nomination as a "Life Scientist (nec)". Unfortunately, that occupation has been slashed off the CSOL (or in the rebadged STSOL), thus affecting even the Victorian list of occupations. Even an employer nomination via the 186 would seem to be a no-go, as this occupation is not in STSOL.

Are there alternative or potential path to PR that I could perhaps be missing here? Would love to hear from folks that are experienced in this matter or who have gone through a similar predicament, even in a different skilled occupation.

PS. this post isn't a rant about the DIBP changes and I totally see this as a luck and timing factor that worked against my situation.
I am having exactly the same situation. I have checked with Vetasses about the life science technician which is and also according to them is a lower rank profession and has been advised that I will not get a positive outcome of the above profession. It's really heart breaking news!!!
It's really hard here to live with family kids without having the status of Permanent residency.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sure there has been lots of talk here about the recent 457 changes plus occupations slashed from the CSOL. With those recent changes, I've personally been affected, and my long term planned path to PR now seems impossible. I'd love to get gather some thoughts from people around here, and maybe gain insights into potential solution.

I've completed a PhD end 2016 and immediately proceeded to apply for a 485 Grad Visa, allowing me to work and play here for an additional 4 years. What I had intended to do sometime this year was to apply for the 190 via a Victorian nomination as a "Life Scientist (nec)". Unfortunately, that occupation has been slashed off the CSOL (or in the rebadged STSOL), thus affecting even the Victorian list of occupations. Even an employer nomination via the 186 would seem to be a no-go, as this occupation is not in STSOL.

PS. this post isn't a rant about the DIBP changes and I totally see this as a luck and timing factor that worked against my situation.
I am having exactly the same situation. I have checked with Vetasses about the life science technician which is and also according to them is a lower rank profession and has been advised that I will not get a positive outcome of the above profession. It's really heart breaking news!!!

It's really hard here to live with family kids without having the status of Permanent residency.
Hi there,

I was wondering how things worked out for you as a life scientist...

I am about to finish my phd in a life science area and I can't even apply for a 485 as I already got one when I finished my masters. Is there any glimmer of hope for me?

Regards,
Alex

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.