Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been accepted to study a masters program in Australia. I plan on moving with my partner. The 500 student visa allows de facto partners of graduate students to work full time.

The problem is we began officially living together in mid-June 2017 and my courses begin in July 2018. They say that you must be living together for a full year at the time of filing for a visa. I cannot wait that long since visa processing takes about 2 months.

What are my options? How strict are they? We did un-officially live together for several months before that, it's just that we weren't on the lease together. I do have some roommates that can confirm that. Would they count that as proof?

Or could I initially put him down as a family member not going with me then change it once we hit the 1 year mark?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you declare your relationship in your student application?
I have not yet applied for my visa. I was recently accepted to the program and am wondering if I should apply now and declare him, then add him to the visa later? Or if I should wait to apply for the visa until we have been living together for a full year?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
They say that you must be living together for a full year at the time of filing for a visa.

Does it actually say that?

My bet is that it does not, and it says you must have been in a relationship for at least 12 months and have lived together or not permanently apart or something like that.

Not sure Australia has the same definition as "family member" as you do in USA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They say that you must be living together for a full year at the time of filing for a visa.

Does it actually say that?

My bet is that it does not, and it says you must have been in a relationship for at least 12 months and have lived together or not permanently apart or something like that.

Not sure Australia has the same definition as "family member" as you do in USA.
Here is what is says on their website:
De facto partner
A person is the de facto partner of another person (whether of the same sex or a different sex) if:
they have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others
the relationship between them is genuine and continuing
they live together or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis and they are not related by family.

For an application for a Student visa the de facto relationship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately preceding the date of application.
So I'm not sure if that means living together for 12 months or just being in a relationship. Some websites say that you must live together and some are not specific.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.