Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in Australia on a 600-class tourist visa that's valid for 9 months. It states that I'm not eligible to work while in Australia.

Does this apply to online work, as well? I have a US based business and can conduct all my work online, be paid in USD into my US bank account.

Since I'm not employed by an Australian business or earning AUD, is this type of work allowed?

I can't find any information about this elsewhere online.

But, it seems like I'd be bringing foreign money into the country and injecting it into the economy and not taking a job away from an Australian.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
This convo has been had a few times - no real answer.

Don't mention it was about the best answer - it is also a business activity,not working in Australia.

The previous threads were interesting, might be worth looking up and reading.

From a personal point of view - the last sentence of your post is what counts to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!! That's kind of what I thought.

I'll have a search for other threads. :)

This convo has been had a few times - no real answer.

Don't mention it was about the best answer - it is also a business activity,not working in Australia.

The previous threads were interesting, might be worth looking up and reading.

From a personal point of view - the last sentence of your post is what counts to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I actually called the embassy in Ottawa to ask about doing this on an eta as I am trying to get a longer visit in with my husband while waiting for my 309 Visa. I was advised as long as I have no Australian customers then it’s okay. For reference I’m a Canadian citizen, it’s a Canadian company, with Canadian dollars being paid to a Canadian account. Of course that’s for an extended holiday of like a month or two,not nine months but I can’t really see a difference.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I actually called the embassy in Ottawa to ask about doing this on an eta as I am trying to get a longer visit in with my husband while waiting for my 309 Visa. I was advised as long as I have no Australian customers then it's okay. For reference I'm a Canadian citizen, it's a Canadian company, with Canadian dollars being paid to a Canadian account. Of course that's for an extended holiday of like a month or two,not nine months but I can't really see a difference.
All good - but they are not qualified to give that advice, nor are they accountable for that being wrong advice even if writing.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Following this logic, I can work for an English owned major miner, get paid in GBP to an English account, exporting to China and immigration would have no problem with me working on the minesite on a tourist visa :)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmmm well that sucks. So who can give a definitive answer? I don’t want to quit my job but I will as I’m not willing to do anything that may jeopardize my application.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Following this logic, I can work for an English owned major miner, get paid in GBP to an English account, exporting to China and immigration would have no problem with me working on the minesite on a tourist visa :)?
If the mine is in Australia then no, as you would be taking a job from an Australian.

If a person in UK owns 16 flats and rents them out as their income (job). When they come to Australia for a 4 month holiday this person checks his bank account daily, and send off via email receipts for rent received . They also deal with repair requests as required by contacting the contractor.

This would not really be taking work away from Australian and is probably acceptable.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
It does not, but you can do business related activities on a Visitor Visa.

Many business owners particularly small business owners are on 24/7 call and I myself have answered work calls in Vanuatu, South Africa, Botswana, Vietnam, Germany, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Singapore and EAU from memory and also paid payroll, while I have been on visitor visas in these countries for over a week (weekly pay roll).

So many of the visitors to Australia will be doing the same.

Where the line of what work is to business activity is grey - but it can not take work from an Australian.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It does not, but you can do business related activities on a Visitor Visa.

Many business owners particularly small business owners are on 24/7 call and I myself have answered work calls in Vanuatu, South Africa, Botswana, Vietnam, Germany, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Singapore and EAU from memory and also paid payroll, while I have been on visitor visas in these countries for over a week (weekly pay roll).

So many of the visitors to Australia will be doing the same.

Where the line of what work is to business activity is grey - but it can not take work from an Australian.
Op states he wishes to work whilst here, not make or take a few calls to keep the business ticking over.

Am really intrigued with this.

Personally I wouldn't want Immi to decide I was the wrong shade of grey.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I call what I did work too, the op has not said what they do - only it does not or can not put an Australian out of work.

Maybe they trade currency's for UK company?

I only know there is no clear DIBP thing on the matter. But it would be better if there was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.