Australia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I applied for my spouse visa through an agent in November 17, in February I was given 28 days to provide my medical and our police checks. I had hoped this looked like they were looking to grant but heard nothing since...3 months.
Agent has warned us not to contact the department directly and they said there is no point them doing it as it's not with a case officer just have to wait for somone to pick it up again.
Does this sound normal?
We've been married 20 years and was led to believe it would probably be very straightforward.
The complete silence and not being allowed to contact them for an update is what is concerning me.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Yes, that is normal. Nearly everyone in the waiting game grows impatient and wants to contact a CO directly. If that were allowed, partner visas would NEVER get processed. You can call immigration if you want but you'll just talk to some call center person who is not a CO, is definitely not YOUR CO, and will give you some generic answer after waiting for hours on the phone that they have your application and it will be processed when it will be processed.

Not to mention you don't know who your CO is as multiple COs can pick up a file. So just because one CO emailed you a request for something doesn't mean they'll look at your app again. For both of my partner visas, I had two different COs each time. Some people have not even had a name but been given a Team number.

When they request info, once provided, I have seen them supply grants within hours, days, weeks, months, or even up to or over a year. There's no way to tell if that request means your visa will be granted anytime soon, although it does make you feel like movement is happening. There could be some other reason for the hold up, like if they use a 3rd party for background checks (that's what the form 80) is for, and maybe they're waiting for that to come back from them. Can't move forward until it does so maybe it's not even immigration's fault but the 3rd party. Who knows? Or maybe they sent that request, then you got put into the queue and they're working through all the cases that had requests before you and just haven't gotten back to you yet. All speculation, but there's probably a good reason. I seriously doubt they're just letting you sit there and wait just because.

And unfortunately, being married for 20 years doesn't mean anything when it comes to wait times. If they prioritized apps based on length of relationship or children involved, some couples would never get looked at. You've just got to try and be patient and wait for the golden email.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.