Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I just received a letter from immigration requesting for more information to further process my 801 visa, but I find this request really weird because my case officer asks me to provide:

"Statutory Declarations/Affidavits from both your parents and your sponsor's parents attesting to the genuineness and continuing nature of your relationship. Please ensure that they are duly signed, dated, witnessed by an Authorised person/Public Notary and translated as necessary by an approved translator. Copies of their Passports to be provided to verify their signatures."

the point is we have been in a defacto relationship for 10 years already and we have already provided more than enough information for our 820 visa, I just dont understand why they precisely wanted "our parents" but not our siblings to attest our relationship even though our parents knew we are together but since we don't live with them for the whole time, therefore they don't even know much about us/our lives plus all of them are in Hong Kong and China therefore it is really hard for us to get them write that and especially get it signed by an Authorised person/Public Notary (since the case officer didn't even tell us where we can find these authorised person overseas. Also due to the outbreak of corona virus back in China, the consulate doesn't even open so they can't even get it signed by a public notary).

Can someone please kindly help us? Because we are very confused and helpless right now. Do you think I can call immigration and ask? Or is there a way I can contact my case officer because he only left his name and officer number only.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Talking to anyone at immigration is unlikely to help you.

Try to keep everything in writing.

Consult a registered migration agent for advice about how to proceed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
They ask for weird stuff all the time. When we applied for my wife's PMV they asked for proofs that we live together, even though living together is not a requirement and actually the whole point of a PMV is to allow us to live together...

But their request seem clear. Just get your parents to sign a paper saying that yes you really are in a relationship. The case officer is not asking for your parents to tell the whole story of your relationship, but just to testify that yes you really are in a relationship.

We actually spontaneously did such a thing when we applied for the PMV, even without them asking for it. My wife's mother signed such a short letter in front of a lawyer with a certified copy of passport (and they are from China). The goal in our case was to have more documents supporting that our relationship had lasted for more than two years in order to get me a waiver of sponsorship limitation.

You may be overthinking this. If your parents are nice and helpful they will certainly find someone with a sort of official position to put a stamp on a paper in which they say that you are really not faking this relationship as far as they know. It seems this is all the case officer is asking for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.