Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, here goes my story
Applied for 820 26th Feb 2017, got an email 12th of Dec asking my partners police check. We uploaded that and was hoping things are moving- thought it was a CO but it wasn't. So far I haven't heard anything back. Thing is, I'm still on 457 and stuck with my employer and I need not to be- thinking of cancelling it due to my partner having to move states for work and we cannot afford 2 rents, and to be apart that much just wouldn't work for us. I understand that cancelling 457, will cancel my bridging visa that came with 820- which is fine. I should be able to apply for basic bridging visa that allows me to stay in country until 820 decision comes, right? Will it affect my 820 any way? Is that fair enough reason for immigration to cancel my 457 and let me wait for 820? I know by cancelling it I'd have to wait another 4? years until I'm able to apply citizenship- to be honest it's not my biggest worry as long as 820 & PR goes through. I guess what I'm hoping is some advice who's been through the same road, any advice would be much appreciated
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,612 Posts
I would never opt for a BVE unless there was absolutely no other way. Not being able to travel is never a problem, until it becomes one...

What if the visa is refused and you have to wait another 2 years for an AAT hearing, on a BVE all that time...?

The rules are what they are, fairness doesn't come into it.

My advice would be stick it out on your sc. 457 visa as the lesser of 2 evils.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
My next sentence is not the greatest advice however - I was in the country for 9 months whilst my 820 was processing, I was on a 457 however was not working. I didn't cancel the visa and immigration opted not to cancel it whilst my 820 was processing. Just food for thought.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,612 Posts
My next sentence is not the greatest advice however - I was in the country for 9 months whilst my 820 was processing, I was on a 457 however was not working. I didn't cancel the visa and immigration opted not to cancel it whilst my 820 was processing. Just food for thought.
It's a very valid point. The only problem is the uncertainty of it, as it depends on the goodwill of the Department and the prevailing policy of the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My next sentence is not the greatest advice however - I was in the country for 9 months whilst my 820 was processing, I was on a 457 however was not working. I didn't cancel the visa and immigration opted not to cancel it whilst my 820 was processing. Just food for thought.
Hi! Thanks for your reply. How did you do that? Who did you contact, who said that's okay don't cancel just wait it out.. I mean if you don't work your're in breach of your visa? Bit more info would be great! :)
CCMS - that would be a great idea, but we cannot afford 2 rents and live separatley for maybe a whole year- god knows when it's going to be granted, theres few other things I'd rather not discuss here though
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top