Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I'm right in the middle of filling out the 820/801 application for my wife and myself, and I'm not sure about one of their questions regarding family members

On page 12 they ask about immediate family members including those that are deceased.

do they mean only those that are migrating with you, or all brothers, sisters, parents, etc and does this extend to include inlaws, step-parents, etc.

they ask similar questions about myself the sponsor.

we both have large families

thanks
Michael

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I'm right in the middle of filling out the 820/801 application for my wife and myself, and I'm not sure about one of their questions regarding family members

On page 12 they ask about immediate family members including those that are deceased.

do they mean only those that are migrating with you, or all brothers, sisters, parents, etc and does this extend to include inlaws, step-parents, etc.

they ask similar questions about myself the sponsor.

we both have large families

thanks
Michael
immediate family members only.

Australian definition of immediate family members: It does include those members not migrating with you.

I see the confusion, as I have seen an American definition of immediate family members as:
Someone's spouse, parents and grandparents, children and grand children, brothers and sisters, mother in law and father in law, brothers in law and sisters in law, daughters in law and sons in law. Adopted, half, and step members are also included in immediate family.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
immediate family members only.

Australian definition of immediate family members:
  • spouse or de facto partner
  • dependent child or stepchild younger than 18 years of age
  • parent or step-parent if you are younger than 18.
It does include those members not migrating with you.

I see the confusion, as I have seen an American definition of immediate family members as:
Someone's spouse, parents and grandparents, children and grand children, brothers and sisters, mother in law and father in law, brothers in law and sisters in law, daughters in law and sons in law. Adopted, half, and step members are also included in immediate family.
In my wifes case, the above would number into the hundreds :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
My RMA made me put down my parents, and siblings. We have no kids. Not sure why I had to put down my siblings given the definition above but sure she knows what she’s doing. Anyway it was hard because I have a lot of half siblings and father I have no contact with. I don’t know half their birthdays and wasn’t sure how to spell my father’s name. Can’t contact him for safety reasons and don’t even know his phone number or address. It was really annoying. Hopefully it’s okay.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
In my wifes case, the above would number into the hundreds :)
I remember when we did the first application, and I came across that question. I really prefer the Australian definition. Otherwise, I might be living back there with her instead. The application may have otherwise been to complicated.

But just one set of parents, and six siblings, wasn't too bad. Although it felt like a lot at the time.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
My RMA made me put down my parents, and siblings. We have no kids. Not sure why I had to put down my siblings given the definition above but sure she knows what she's doing. Anyway it was hard because I have a lot of half siblings and father I have no contact with. I don't know half their birthdays and wasn't sure how to spell my father's name. Can't contact him for safety reasons and don't even know his phone number or address. It was really annoying. Hopefully it's okay.
Siblings (Brothers and Sisters) were definitely included on the form, even though the definition I saw does not mention them.

I ended up with one of her sisters names spelt incorrectly, but it wasn't a problem. I never changed it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah my father’s name isn’t on my birth certificate (only mother) for various reasons. His particular name can be spelled two ways and I picked the one which looked right to me but later think it’s wrong on my marriage certificate and visa application as well. I didn’t have any written documents with his name to check spelling and it didn’t even occur to me at the time of my marriage there are two ways to spell it. I am a bit worried about it but hopefully will be okay. I explained to my lawyer/RMA my family situation and they just said do your best. It’s not a big deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.