Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a dual American-English Citizen who has been in England for 10 years and has not travelled abroad much since then. I met my fiancé who is an Australian citizen when he came over on a work visa two years ago. His visa is about to run out so he is returning to Australia in March to return to his job and house and I would like to join him. We've had no luck with UK visas as I don't earn enough to sponsor him however in Australia he earns enough to sponsor me.

My plan is to apply for visitor visa (600) and go over soon after him on a one way ticket and get married and apply for the 820/801 partner visa. I know I would qualify for it and I'm under the idea I would be granted a bridging visa a class until the provisional partner visa is granted, upon which I could stay in the country for two years until the permanent one is granted and then I will have indefinite leave to remain.

My question is will this plan work? Has anyone done anything similar?
This will be my first time taking a plane on my own and I want to make sure I'm not going to get turned away also for having a one way ticket, would it be better to get a return?

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
If you hold UK/USA passports you might be better off applying for an ETA; fast cheap and easy and not subject to conditons that would stop you applying onshore for a partner visa.

Upon a valid partner visa application being lodged onshore, a bridging visa with immediate Medicare eligibility and full work rights (after your visitor visa expires) would be automatically granted.

There are upcoming changes to the partner visa regulations, about which you should inform yourself.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
And just remember you are coming to Australia to do "visitor related stuff", not to apply for a Partner Visa.

You are then certainly able to have a change of plans and apply for a Partner Visa onshore.

Be careful what you carry in luggage like no resume related items and they can also check phones and laptops. Not that it is the normal but if they suspect they can.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
This will be my first time taking a plane on my own and I want to make sure I'm not going to get turned away also for having a one way ticket, would it be better to get a return?
I have heard of people on one way tickets sometimes having difficulties.

I have being refused boarding myself for not having a return ticket, and had to buy an expensive ticket at the airport, there and then, to catch the flight.

Consequently I always get a return/outward ticket, but the cheapest one I can find, as I rarely used them.
I now refer to them as throw away tickets. I have had a few, they cost money, but save anxiety.

For you, if they feel you may not be intending to leave, they may not allow you in, especially if you mention marriage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.