Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have two basic questions regarding the 820/801 visa where i've read a lot of confusing information.

First question is: My wife applied for an 820/801 visa and is yet to receive either. I have read that you become eligible to apply for the 801 visa once you get the 820 visa, but this is the confusing part because we applied for both at the same time, so the time periods don't make sense to me. From what i gather, you apply for the 820 and in approx 12-15 months you get that, and then you apply for the 801 and then wait another 12-18 months. My confusion is that we've already applied for both at the same time so what is her eligibility date and what kind of time frame are we looking at?

To clarify the sequence of dates:
Was on a student visa
Applied for 820/801 February 2017 Onshore (exactly 12 months ago)
Granted bridging visa A
February 2018: Still waiting to hear back regarding 820/801

This brings me to the next question. The stress of waiting really stems form the fact that my wife can only be considered an international student which means we pay her uni fees upfront and 4x the amount a domestic student would until the 801 permanent visa is given to her. Now do we need to tell immigration that she has started studying at uni? Is this considered a change in circumstances?

The only contact we've had so far is that i was asked to provide a police check 12 months ago as her sponsor when we first applied and then we applied for a bridging visa B a few months later to allow us to travel overseas but aside form that we haven't heard anything back.

I actually work next door to the department of immigration and it's incredibly frustrating.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
You don't apply for the sc. 801 separately. Two years after you made the combined sc. 820/801 application, you must provide additional documentation to show that you are still in a relationship.

I don't quite understand the other question. Is your partner still on a student visa or is the bridging visa A in effect? Unless she is still on a student visa and she has changed courses or something, there is no change of circumstances I can see.

Reactions: HRose313

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't apply for the sc. 801 separately. Two years after you made the combined sc. 820/801 application, you must provide additional documentation to show that you are still in a relationship.

I don't quite understand the other question. Is your partner still on a student visa or is the bridging visa A in effect? Unless she is still on a student visa and she has changed courses or something, there is no change of circumstances I can see.
So really you're looking at a minimum of 3 years right? If it's apply, wait 2 years, provide evidence, then wait another 12 months at least.

No she's no longer on the student visa. The bridging visa is in effect, however, i wasn't sure if the fact she was studying mattered to immigration or whether they needed to know what she's up to

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Like CCMS said, it is a combined application so both the 820 and 801 are technically applied for at the same time. They approve the 820 first and two years after the combined 820/801 application, the applicant is eligible to be considered for the 801. So the average wait time for the 820 listed is how long it may take to get the 820 grant. The average wait time for the 801 listed is how long it may take to get the 801 grant after the eligibility date (which again is two years after the 820/801 app).

So if you applied in Feb 2017, you would be eligible to be assessed for the 801 after February 2019.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
My confusion is that we've already applied for both at the same time so what is her eligibility date and what kind of time frame are we looking at?

To clarify the sequence of dates:
Was on a student visa
Applied for 820/801 February 2017 Onshore (exactly 12 months ago)
Granted bridging visa A
February 2018: Still waiting to hear back regarding 820/801
Estimated date to get the PR grant might be early 2020, based on these dates:

Feb 2017: 820/801 application date
Feb to Oct 2018: Possible 820 grant based on current 820 processing time at: www.homeaffairs.gov.au
Feb 2019: Additional info for 801 needs to be uploaded
Feb 2020: Possible PR grant based on 12 months processing (although this could be 18+ months for 25% of applicants, making it nearer the end of 2020 for some.)

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
No she's no longer on the student visa. The bridging visa is in effect, however, i wasn't sure if the fact she was studying mattered to immigration or whether they needed to know what she's up to
I can't see any reason to notify the Department about it. There are questions about work and study in the stage 2 application form.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Estimated date to get the PR grant might be early 2020, based on these dates:

Feb 2017: 820/801 application date
Feb to Oct 2018: Possible 820 grant based on current 820 processing time:
Feb 2019: Additional info for 801 needs to be uploaded
Feb 2020: Possible PR grant based on 12 months processing (although this could be 18+ months for 25% of applicants, making it nearer the end of 2020 for some.)
Thanks everyone. This timeline is so disheartening. 2 years is 70k in international student fees as opposed to 18k as a permanent resident.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Thanks everyone. This timeline is so disheartening. 2 years is 70k in international student fees as opposed to 18k as a permanent resident.
And I believe there was a proposal in the pipeline to extend international student fees to anyone who is not an Australian citizen...

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
And I believe there was a proposal in the pipeline to extend international student fees to anyone who is not an Australian citizen...
That could be a pain. My wife will have been living in Australia with me for 8 years before she can even get Citizenship, under the proposed July 2018 rules.

Good job she has no plans for study. Although we did discuss a possible TAFE course at some stage...

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.