Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm wondering whether it's ok from immigration Dept view that visitor visa was used for seeing what it's like living in Australia? As well as tourist stuff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well more like partner is not sure what Australia is like to live in (different culture etc) and wanted to see what it's like. Not intending to apply for 820 at that point.
But if you did like it and decide to stay?

·
Registered
180 Posts
As far as I can see the only restrictions on the Tourist or Visitor visa is you comply with the laws of country, can support yourself, don't seek employment and leave before the visa expires. Otherwise your purpose is irrelevant whether it be because it's on your bucket list or learning about Australia because you are thinking of migrating you are still just a tourist.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
As far as I can see the only restrictions on the Tourist or Visitor visa is you comply with the laws of country, can support yourself, don't seek employment and leave before the visa expires. Otherwise your purpose is irrelevant whether it be because it's on your bucket list or learning about Australia because you are thinking of migrating you are still just a tourist.
Not true. A genuine tourist doesn't use a tourist visa to stay permanently in Australia by applying for a permanent visa onshore from a tourist visa. All OP has to do is read through this forum to see how many people had tourist visas denied simply because they stated such an intention.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Well more like partner is not sure what Australia is like to live in (different culture etc) and wanted to see what it's like. Not intending to apply for 820 at that point.
But if you did like it and decide to stay?
Strictly speaking that is correct and fine.

I would be inclined not to mention anything about an 820, nor looking to see if they like the country. The less info you give them the better - your partner is coming over to visit Australia and to see you is all they need to know.

Obviously if they ask further questions you need to answer them truthfully, I would also advise you to declare them as a defacto partner or spouse whichever is relevant on the visitor visa otherwise you are making potential 820 evidence problems further down the line.

Also I wouldn't travel with a suitcase full of documents or have this website open on this question on your phone...

If your partner was to subsequently decide theybliked it here and applied for an 820 on a tourist visa without a no further stay then that is totally fine.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Whilst in the country on the visa this is mostly correct, whilst applying for and prior to entry this is incorrect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.