Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

my partner who is australian and I want to apply for the de facto subclass 820 in February 2018.
We started dating in february 2017 and have been in a relationship since march 2018. We met in a ski town in Canada and due to a housing crisis we were not able to find a place to live together. He wasn't allowed to "share" a room with me from his landlords side and I was already sharing a room with another girl. We honestly did not have any options to move in together until we left the town and went to Germany to stay with my family for 2.5 months. After that we went to Australia and have been living together as well. So in total that now 6 months of living together.
I have now read different things. One group is saying it's a requirement that de facto means you have lived together for at least 12 months and another group says no there are exemptions. Is my visa more likely to get refused if we apply now or does it not matter as much because we have collected quiet a fair bit of evidence.
We've got 4 different joint bank accounts in 3 different countrys, 4 return flights booked for both of us, several bus and train tickets, gouverment letters stating we have lived together, insurance, household bills in both of our names and we're in each other superfund. And we have our relationship registered.

We wanted to lodge our application our self but get it looked over by an immigration lawyer/agent to make sure it's all good. But i'm starting to get really stressed out about everything. Can anyone recommend a lawyer or agent they had good experiences with?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Unless you are married or the relationship is registered, you must have been in a de- facto relationship for at least 12 months on the day you lodge the application. De-facto is not the same as co-habitation.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
CCMS is a respected RMA and what he says is 100% correct.

If a de facto is 1 day short of 12 months (unless relationship is registered) it will not qualify and be refused.

There is no 12 month living together rule - only the duration of the relationship length.

So it seems you need to register your relationship, and that is if you can - depends on what state you live. The other option is to wait till March, what visa do you currently have and when does it expire?

·
Registered
26 Posts
blinkymila stated that they have registered their relationship, which would waive the 12 month requirement and from what she has written it sounds like they have been collecting evidence wherever possible.
Having a RMA look over the application is the best way to determine whether or not your evidence will be sufficient for a successful 820 application. There are several experienced RMA's on this forum that would probably be happy to have a look at your application. Which state do you currently live in?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, we have our relationship registered since october last year :) and we are living in NSW!
Thank you for your reply tho.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blinkymila stated that they have registered their relationship, which would waive the 12 month requirement and from what she has written it sounds like they have been collecting evidence wherever possible.
Having a RMA look over the application is the best way to determine whether or not your evidence will be sufficient for a successful 820 application. There are several experienced RMA's on this forum that would probably be happy to have a look at your application. Which state do you currently live in?
Thank you for your reply! Yes we have it registered and we're living in Wollongong NSW :)
I will defiantly have a look for one of the RMA on this forum :)

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Sorry I did miss the registration bit, but yes it still depends on the state. I have a feeling one state will take a registration but it is not accepted by Immi. I think 3 states currently are accepted.

Never need to use that so only going off gossip there.

Not all RMA's offer the review service, but some certainly do.

The OP certainly seems in a better position evidence wise than many sub 1 year de facto's and that points to they have done some research.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I did miss the registration bit, but yes it still depends on the state. I have a feeling one state will take a registration but it is not accepted by Immi. I think 3 states currently are accepted.

The OP certainly seems in a better position evidence wise than many sub 1 year de facto's and that points to they have done some research.
Hey, I completely don;t get that last sentence at all. Whats the OP?

·
Registered
345 Posts

Hey, I completely don;t get that last sentence at all. Whats the OP?
OP - original poster.

Aka you :D

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The OP is farther along than my partner and I were when we started the process! Lots of great evidence so far.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I normally don't (with some exceptions), but I think both Lisa Wulfsohn and Mark Northam do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.