Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

820 defacto relationship

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Eh? 
De facto date. If you put anything before then, they'll ask for de facto evidence since that date. Not having it will look like you're lying on your app. So it's the date you can prove your de facto relationship started.

Feel free to upload evidence of dating before then if you want to prove how the relationship developed.

This was actually a question I had been asking myself as of late!

Thanks for all the answers, everyone, even though I'm not the OP.

And since we're here (I don't want to hijack the thread) but I had a question as well. My partner and I met online in October 2015, started a relationship that month and dated online/skype until she arrived in Canada in March of 2016. I know our de facto date is March 2016, that's easy.

But on the application it asks (and I'm paraphrasing here) "when did you begin an exclusive relationship" - For that I've put the date we decided to date. And then it asks "When did you first meet in person?" - Obviously, I'm going to be honest and tell them our first in person meeting was when she arrived in Canada. But is that something I can put into a statement in the development of the relationship and in the question box for this say "please refer to document_name.pdf"?
A couple of issues with that...

1. This date is intended for the beginning of the de facto relationship. People have put the date they began dating rather than de facto but naturally only provided de facto evidence for the time they were de facto. You can see how it would look like lying to a CO when they ask for de facto evidence from the date you stated in your app (which they have for people) and you cannot provide it. This date is also important for deciding on if a person has been in a long term de facto relationship and if they're eligible to go straight to PR. If you can't provide de facto evidence from the date you put in that question, you shouldn't use that date. But this is just my personal opinion after reading other users experiences on this forum.

2. According to the fact sheet FAQs, "My partner and I met over the internet and we established a close relationship before we had physically met. Can the time since we began our relationship before meeting be considered as part of the relationship requirement period?

No."

Source: https://www.border.gov.au/about/corporate/information/fact-sheets/35relationship

It probably won't matter as you're not putting a date 3 years prior to your app, but I don't think it counts at all anyway because you hadn't met in person yet. Let us know how it goes though for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.