Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with my situation.

Im organizing my docs to apply for the 820 Defacto Visa, and one of the requirement is to be in a genuine relationship (Defacto) for 12 mo. By the time I lodge my application it would be 14 mo we've been together in a mutual exclusive relationship , but living together for only 4 mo. I've been reading a lot in this forum about people saying that we must be living together for at least 12mo, but on immi description says:

• "Living together is regarded as a common element in most on-going relationships. It is recognised that, for various reasons, couples may sometimes have to live apart. Provided the separation is temporary and the couple had, at some point since commencement of the relationship lived together, their relationship might still satisfy the requirements of a de facto relationship. For this reason, the one year relationship criterion does not require the couple to have physically lived together for the entire 12 months, but rather to have been in a de facto relationship for that period."

So, I understand that even though we haven't been sharing the same household for the whole 12mo we are still legible to comply with the 12mo Defacto relationship. Can anyone give an opinion in this matter ?

Tks,
    Jacques:)

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
The question is : do you meet the 12 month de-facto relationship requirement or not ? So you should look at what the requirements are for a de-facto relationship and what evidence you have.

Registering the relationship , if is an option for you, might be worth considering as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The question is : do you meet the 12 month de-facto relationship requirement or not ? So you should look at what the requirements are for a de-facto relationship and what evidence you have.

Registering the relationship , if is an option for you, might be worth considering as well.
Tks for you reply... apart from not leaving together for the entire 12 month, we've been having a genuine relationship in all the other aspects of it. But as I've been reading on the forum here, every answer about this matter they say the couple must have been living together for 12mo, so thats why its been confusing for me. Yes, im considering registering our relationship.
Tks again !!:)

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Tks for you reply... apart from not leaving together for the entire 12 month, we've been having a genuine relationship in all the other aspects of it. But as I've been reading on the forum here, every answer about this matter they say the couple must have been living together for 12mo, so thats why its been confusing for me. Yes, im considering registering our relationship.
Tks again !!:)
The requirement is for "de-facto", not "living together". It is not the same thing.

In most cases people do live together when they are in a de-facto relationship, so you need good evidence and a plausible explanation for the times you were temporarily apart.

Reactions: HRose313

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe registering the relationship gets around the 12 month requirement somewhat- we were shy of 12 months living together and there was no issue once we provided the registration certificate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.