Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am currently in the process of applying for an 820 visa with my partner and just wondered if anyone could give any advice with regards to defacto duration and registering a civil partnership etc.

We have been together a year now but only registered our civil partnership (in QLD) a few months ago...

When applying online it asks us to enter the date our defacto relationship began, to which I have entered the date we moved in together... around 6 months ago. Because we haven't been in a defacto relationship for 12 months it asks us to "Give details of the compelling and compassionate circumstances to be considered with this application."

We have entered the rest of the info with statements etc but not sure what to put here... anyone able to offer any advice on this please?

Thanks in advance, any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Are you sure of your defacto date - The start of your defacto relationship is not the date you moved in together.

Your defacto relationship started when you made a mutual commitment to a shared life with each other to the exclusion of all others.

Note the period spent dating doesn't count.

Edit
- also you don't need 12 months if the relationship is registered.
- compelling and compassionate would be something like severe sudden medical illness that requires you to suddenly become a full time carer. The don't publicise what will be counted as compassionate and compelling, you will be very hard pressed to get it under those grounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, OK, so our defacto relationship would count from when we became a couple...?

Understand we don't need 12 months if the relationship is registered, but the question still remains in the application as stated before... "Give details of the compelling and compassionate circumstances to be considered with this application."... but it would then seem not applicable...yet we can't move forward without answering... if that makes sense...?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If you have been together for a year as a couple to the exclusion of all others excluding time spent dating I suggest you change the date to reflect that.

If the question is forcing you to answer it then I would put None as it doesn't appear that there are any. If it's asking you that question because you've not been in a relationship for 12 months and have selected such in a form somewhere I would address that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Mania,

My partner and i have been de facto for 3 years but we still did register our relationship will it be a problem? :O

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks, sky!. Can i ask what is the best option if we can't produce photos of us with my family together for our evidence? Apparently, we don't have it and im taking maybe the CO will be asking for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
From a podcast that Mark Northham has in the ' Migration show' he describes the 10 most common mistakes for a partner visa and he said that

De facto relationship start once you starting living together

Commit to each other: it is before you starting living together

I leave the link here

The Migration Show -

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Thanks, sky!. Can i ask what is the best option if we can't produce photos of us with my family together for our evidence? Apparently, we don't have it and im taking maybe the CO will be asking for it.
Every case is different. My partner and I don't have any photos with my family because I don't speak to my family and so they are not a part of my life. But we had plenty of photos with his family as we often holiday together, see each other every weekend, and they are the reason we chose to live in Australia instead of the US.

So if you have a reason for not having photos with family, then it shouldn't be an issue. But if you don't have any photos at all of you with other people, then that would raise some red flags. My partner and I hardly take photos when out with friends but someone usually snaps a photo at some point of us all together. The point is, can you prove your relationship is known to others and socially?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.