Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My partner an I have been gathering stuff for my application for the 820 partner visa and I have a few questions I am hoping to clarify. I am currently on a working holiday visa but it expires in 2-1/2 months.

1. Do we both need police checks from Australia? Or just me (the applicant)?

2. We lived in Canada for the last 5 years before moving here, do we both need criminal record checks from Canada? Or just me (the applicant)?

3. Is it required to have the police checks and health certificate to file the initial online application in order to get the Bridging visa A?

4. How soon after you apply online do you you recieve the bridging visa A?

If anyone can help us with the answer to these questions that would be amazing!

Thank you!

· Registered
102 Posts
Hi there

I can't answer all your questions but can help with a few. See below

Hi,
My partner an I have been gathering stuff for my application for the 820 partner visa and I have a few questions I am hoping to clarify. I am currently on a working holiday visa but it expires in 2-1/2 months.

1. Do we both need police checks from Australia? Or just me (the applicant)?
Since Nov 2016, the sponsor needs to get an Australian police check. I can't remember how much they are (less than $50 from memory) but is sent relatively quickly (maximum wait 2 weeks from memory)

2. We lived in Canada for the last 5 years before moving here, do we both need criminal record checks from Canada? Or just me (the applicant)?
I think only you (the applicant) will need to provide criminal record checks from countries you have lived in for more than 12 months (note: this is not 12 months consecutively, this is 12 months in total e.g. 6 months in country x, go home, another 7 months in country x then you would need to get a police check from country x.

3. Is it required to have the police checks and health certificate to file the initial online application in order to get the Bridging visa A?
I am not sure about getting the Bridging visa A but for the partner visa you do not need to have the police check and health certificate before applying. You can upload documents up until the visa is granted but best to have the most important documents uploaded first. The system will ask you for police check and health check later anyway. Some people choose to do this earlier.

4. How soon after you apply online do you you recieve the bridging visa A?
not sure about this one

If anyone can help us with the answer to these questions that would be amazing!

Thank you!

· Registered
3,917 Posts
1. It is my understanding that sponsors are only required to upload an AFP if there is a child included in the application. Since Nov 2016, a CO MAY ask for one but it isn't a requirement unless they do.

2. I believe just the applicant.

3. No. In fact, it would be wise to wait several months before submitting police checks and medicals since they are only valid for 12 months and processing times can be longer than that for the visa. If you submit them with the application, and they expire, you could be asked to redo them. Some people wait for a CO to request them.

4. It should be granted immediately after applying. My bridging visa was instant after submission but some people have to wait a day or two for it.

· Registered
64 Posts
1. It is my understanding that sponsors are only required to upload an AFP if there is a child included in the application. Since Nov 2016, a CO MAY ask for one but it isn't a requirement unless they do.
2things as per checklist:
"If you or a child you are including in the application is younger than 18 years of age:
-an AFP National Police Check for your sponsor, if the sponsor has spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age
-police certificates from each country in which the sponsor has spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since turning 16 years of age."

We might include Character statutory declaration (for hubby) bcoz he worked offshore for 15yrs. Police checks for each country will cost him.
https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/character-statutory-declaration.pdf

"If your application is made on or after 18 November 2016, your sponsor will need to:
provide police checks when requested" (if no child under 18 I reckon otherwise AFP is required. I wish we have lodged ours before this date.)

We haven't requested an AFP for my hubby (Oz citizen) and will wait for their request. My hubby don't know about it and he will be upset coz of additional cost.:rolleyes: I will do my medical and AFP after 6 months from the date of lodgement.

Partner visa checklist
https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/801-/Partner-visa-(subclasses-820-and-801)-document-checklist

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you for your responses, the information is very helpful.

I have one more question.

When we pay the fee lodge the application online with the 47SP and 40SP forms, do we have to upload all of our supporting evidence at that time or can we add more as the application is in processing? I know it would be best to upload as much as we can at the begginning, but if we want to add more after is that possible?

· Registered
3,917 Posts

When we pay the fee lodge the application online with the 47SP and 40SP forms, do we have to upload all of our supporting evidence at that time or can we add more as the application is in processing? I know it would be best to upload as much as we can at the begginning, but if we want to add more after is that possible?
Yes, you should get everything you can in within the first few weeks, but you can continue uploading. For my first visa, I uploaded an update 3 months after applying since my partner had been back to the states to visit me again.

· Registered
61 Posts

You can keep uploading supporting documents until your application is finalised. My 820 took 1.5yrs to be approved so I periodically will upload uptodate evidence :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.