Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

Looking for advice please.

I'm from UK and my Australian girlfriend and I would like to apply for a partner visa (820). I am currently visiting Australia on an evisitor visa, which I obtained in December 2017 and permits multiple 3-month visits until December 2018. We would like to submit the partner visa 820 application whilst I am here now.

I understand that once the 820 application has been submitted the applicant is granted a bridging visa and is permitted to work in Australia. This sounds great, though I note that the bridging visa comes with the caveat "once the applicant's existing visa has expired" (or words to that effect). In my case, would the bridging visa come into effect at the end of the current 3-month visit, or would it be once the evisitor validity has expired in December 2018? I am hoping the former.

Advice gratefully received!

Many thanks

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hi Tom, it’s either/or, whatever comes first. Your tourist visa will cease if you do not depart after the maximum stay period( 3 months in your case) has been reached.

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
Hi folks

Looking for advice please.

I'm from UK and my Australian girlfriend and I would like to apply for a partner visa (820). I am currently visiting Australia on an evisitor visa, which I obtained in December 2017 and permits multiple 3-month visits until December 2018. We would like to submit the partner visa 820 application whilst I am here now.

I understand that once the 820 application has been submitted the applicant is granted a bridging visa and is permitted to work in Australia. This sounds great, though I note that the bridging visa comes with the caveat "once the applicant's existing visa has expired" (or words to that effect). In my case, would the bridging visa come into effect at the end of the current 3-month visit, or would it be once the evisitor validity has expired in December 2018? I am hoping the former.

Advice gratefully received!

Many thanks

Tom
CCMS, has already advised you regarding your visa conditions, I would just like to warn you of the pitfalls of using the term "girlfriend" when referring to a partner, especially in regards to a partner visa.
The Department considers a girlfriend boyfriend relationship totally different to that of a partnership.
Nick (CCMS) is a well respected Registered Migration Agent, it would be well worth the investment having him make an initial assessment of your application before spending $7000 plus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, so that means if I apply for a partner visa now and the paperwork is accepted I should get a bridging visa after the current 3-month tourist period ends. If so, that's good for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.