Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

A lot of angsty posts doing the rounds, so just wanted to submit a quick success story for those needing a ray of hope.

We submitted our application online on the 28th of November 2017, a massive undertaking (this will not be news for anyone on here). It was granted today - 19 March 2018 - in a little under 4 months! I won't go into details - anyone with specific questions, feel free to ask - but thought I'd share a few key points.

1) My partner is from the UK, non-risk. We'd been together for 3 years at the date of applying. Living together 1.5 years, unregistered, unmarried. I did the application myself.

2) We front-loaded all our information, and prioritised (or uploaded first) financial / ''primary'' documentation i.e. bank statements, utility bills, tax letters over "secondary" documents i.e. social media / home deliveries / texts / letters. The latter are all useful, but not essential. Make sure they clock the heavy stuff first.

3) Annotate! I annotated everything - photographs, bank statements, receipts. Don't assume things are obvious.

4) We front-loaded medical checks - we knew this was a risk, but I think this likely saved us at least a month or so.

5) Put time and thought into the prep. I spent 2 months preparing our documentation - categorising, cutting, prioritising what most strongly sells the validity of the relationship. Once we had this down-pat, it was easy to scan and upload it into relevant sections. A lot of documents will support each other i.e. bank statements prove financial co-dependency as well as co-habitation. It should all look like it ties-in together.

6) Certified documents are worth the hassle. I requested certified copies of all family/friends passports to attach to their stat decs. It's a big ask, and they squirmed, but understood how important it was.

7) Make it straightforward. An easy grant. Relationships are complex even without adding an element of long distance (I imagine a common factor across this forum) - try to explain it in a logical, linear way using evidence you have, rather than a long and winding narrative. The weight of your application will rest on proof, use it smartly. Emphasise all the shared aspects of your life, and if you don't have many ''big'' documents, try and think of the little bits and pieces that will prove it; grocery receipts, handyman appointments, text messages from 12 months ago discussing what to do for dinner.

8) Label your uploads clearly, and consistently

9) In cases where you're uploading several documents scanned into the one PDF, include a contents page. This was good for my sanity - in moments where I felt overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the task, it was easy to look at these "lists" objectively and make the call as to what they said about our relationship, and how strongly they were saying it.

8) Timeline: our application showed "Received" and then "Assessment in Progress" up until Feb 2018. They then requested police checks (beginning of Feb). We uploaded them last night, and were granted the visa this morning. We were prepared to sit it out for 12-18 months, so a huge and welcome surprise.

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
Congrats!! Out of curiosity was the grant from Australia or an overseas location? We have seen a few quick grants lately coming from overseas - I think maybe Malaysia is one location they are processed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes sorry - low-risk!

It was processed in Kuala Lumpur :)

My cousin and his girlfriend also had theirs approved in the last couple weeks, I think theirs took a little under 6 months and was similarly processed in KL.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Moonie,

[How did you certify all of your documents?

Did you organize all the documents per the 'Migration Booklet' first or start the application and save as you went.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Hi Moonie,

Did you organize all the documents per the 'Migration Booklet' first or start the application and save as you went.
The migration booklet hasn't been updated completely to reflect online applications. The immigration website states not to upload certified copies of documents and to color scan originals.

Form 888s need to have the signatures certified and then if you don't have color scans of the passports, you can upload certified copies of the passports along with the original form 888s.

Have a read: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav...Pages/partner/If-you-are-applying-online.aspx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Moonie,

Hi - we just organised documents based on the various online sections and saved as we went. For the most part, these fell under financial, social, relationship history and co-habitation categories. They allow multiple uploads under each category, so it works well to break it down into sub-groups - for example, "proof of joint social life" (or whatever the wording may be) can incorporate 1) Ubers ordered on a joint account and meals out (so PDF'd bank statements representing this) or 2) joint travel (itineraries, receipts etc. PDF'd) or 3) Facebook photos of friends over a period of time (PDF'd into a separate doc). I created lot of ''piles'' that I could scan across a number of categories. 1 & 2 also prove financial interdependence, for example, whilst 3) could be used to demonstrate the length of the relationship.

When uploading online, it doesn't specify the need to certify at all - however given the investment we'd made (time and financial) I decided to do it anyway. It certainly didn't hurt us.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
It won't hurt you, but definitely unnecessary. The reason applications required certified copies of documents before was because you'd submit by paper and you wouldn't send in original birth certificates or passports. Because of that, you'd have to get certified copies of everything. Now with online applications, it's unnecessary and beating a dead horse really. Same reason why the migration booklet says original police checks must be mailed in. That only applied when applying by post as they wanted the original checks and not copies of them. Obviously applying online, you wouldn't then post in original police checks, you'd just upload color scans of originals. It helps to understand WHY certified documents were ever mentioned in the first place to understand why they aren't required for online apps.

There's really no reason to spend the money to get certified copies to upload to online applications and the website has been updated to reflect this where it explains how to upload documents for online applications.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It won't hurt you, but definitely unnecessary. The reason applications required certified copies of documents before was because you'd submit by paper and you wouldn't send in original birth certificates or passports. Because of that, you'd have to get certified copies of everything. Now with online applications, it's unnecessary and beating a dead horse really. Same reason why the migration booklet says original police checks must be mailed in. That only applied when applying by post as they wanted the original checks and not copies of them. Obviously applying online, you wouldn't then post in original police checks, you'd just upload color scans of originals. It helps to understand WHY certified documents were ever mentioned in the first place to understand why they aren't required for online apps.

There's really no reason to spend the money to get certified copies to upload to online applications and the website has been updated to reflect this where it explains how to upload documents for online applications.
No doubt you're right - just passing on what we did with our application :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Congrats on a quick grant, and thanks for sharing your story--it will no doubt help a lot of new applicants if this trend of quick offshore processing continues! Unfortunately, most (if not all) of the "angsty" posts on here are form people who've been waiting well over a year (some up to two years!) with quite a few having dependent children, health problems, and other factors that make not hearing from the dept and a long wait stressful. Those applications are still being processed in Oz. We can only hope that the fact that newer apps are being processed so quickly results in less work load for onshore CO's!

PS. Only reason the certifying thing was pointed it was just to make things less stressful on you for the 801 :) Cheers and have a great life in Oz!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my little success story on 820.

12th of December 2016 first application was launched.
14th of December 2016 Bridging Visa was granted.
31st of May 2017 my child was born and certified birth cert. was submitted.
18th of January 2018 got requested for further documents (28 days time frame)

And here is the thing. I had to submit the documents through the email mentioning my all the reference number and everything which I did within a week after due to my online account was maxed out of 60 files already.

However, I did not receive any response back from them for a month a so and started getting little anxious what exactly was going on. then one day on 6th of March I opened up my online account just to check if there was anything new. then I found the setting was little changed. Which made me realized perhaps over this period they have updated my online account. so I did submit once again all those documents on my ImmiAccount which is on 6th of March around 1:30pm.

Surprisingly within an hour I was my VISA granted on the same day. which made me wonder if that was something done by human or system. but anyways. I finally got my 820.

6th of March 2018 was granted 820.

now I am waiting for my eligibility day of 801.

Hope this message will help to some who are new applicant for online partner VISA.

Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, congratulations on such a quick turnaround!

I have a question regarding point number 9 in the original post. My partner and I are almost finished with preparing our documents to upload however, based on the main categories (social, financial, household, etc.) we have created a single PDF for each category with all the evidence (including explanation statements and annotation) in those documents.

We've written side notes to the case officer (whomever that may be down the line) within each document to refer to separate uploads for things like stat decs from witnesses or bank statements (all combined in their own pdf) that support that particular category.

So, some of our docs are 90 pages long (compressed to under 5MB thankfully through smallpdf) but we walk them through the relevant evidence in the order of content we highlighted at the start of each document rather than breaking out the evidence for each category into different, multiple uploads. Do you think this is too complicated? We'll probably end up with about 20-30 uploads in total between us. I know there's probably no right answer but as we're getting closer the anxiety is creeping in!

Thanks

Ben

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Moonie,
Thats great news. I am in process of applying onshore partner visa. Just had a quick query on the Statutory declaration. Did you submit it in a certain format? I came across the format given by home affairs website but not sure if we should use it. THanks and appreciate your advise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.