Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I haven't found much from people having been in relationships under 12 months.

From what I have read, if you register your relationship it cancels out the 12 month requirement.

I wondered if anyone has applied for the visa with a relationship that's around 6 months at time of application and been successful?

We have lived together for around 4 of the months however I am not on the lease. If/when we apply we will have been together for 6 months and lived together for 5.

Any advice is welcome. :)

Thanks

Bit of background context:
I am 25, female, British. My partner is 22, female, Australian.
I am currently on a 417 visa that expires in December this year.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hi :)

You are correct about relationship registration but keep in mind all it waivers is the 12 months requirement, you must still be able to provide sufficient evidence that you are in a de facto relationship (rather than just dating/girlfriends).

Have you read the partner migration booklet? If not then it's worth doing as it's filled with info. You can find it here: https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/1127.pdf

How long have you known one another?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have known each other since 29th may this year. We met online and met up on the 30th and have been together since. It?s been exclusive since the beginning.

I have it printed and highlighted :D haha.

I just wanted some other people?s advice and clarification because I?m struggling with interpreting what the booklet is trying to say. I guess they make it as black and white as possible but it?s just when you?ve got a registered relationship it seems a bit hazy.

I?m happy to be told that we have no chance because at least then we can figure out another plan. I?d like to think we do have a chance because I know there are people out there faking it and being granted and I?ve always been an honest, hardworking person and feel maybe deserving of this opportunity. But hey, I appreciate there are restrictions for a reason!

·
Registered
918 Posts
We have known each other since 29th may this year. We met online and met up on the 30th and have been together since. It?s been exclusive since the beginning.

I have it printed and highlighted :D haha.

I just wanted some other people?s advice and clarification because I?m struggling with interpreting what the booklet is trying to say. I guess they make it as black and white as possible but it?s just when you?ve got a registered relationship it seems a bit hazy.

I?m happy to be told that we have no chance because at least then we can figure out another plan. I?d like to think we do have a chance because I know there are people out there faking it and being granted and I?ve always been an honest, hardworking person and feel maybe deserving of this opportunity. But hey, I appreciate there are restrictions for a reason!
Haha it's not light reading, is it? :D

I'm not saying there's no chance, you would just need to present a thorough application.

They put the 12 month waiver there for a reason so it's not ONLY for de facto relationships 12 months + but it all depends on how much evidence you have that it's a de facto relationship and not just dating.

You don't both need to be on the lease; my partner owns the house so we don't have a lease or anything like that.

It doesn't all have to be 50/50, there are many relationships whereby 1 partner is the breadwinner and pays for the vast majority of expenses and that's OK too.

What kind of evidence do you have? Have you travelled together? Joint bank account? Bought any major items together?

Have you both met each others families? Stat decs from family and friends do hold some weight and can help in painting a picture of the whole relationship.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of evidence do you have? Have you travelled together? Joint bank account? Bought any major items together?

Have you both met each others families? Stat decs from family and friends do hold some weight and can help in painting a picture of the whole relationship.
Not light reading at all haha!

The other difficult thing is we are very much outdoorsy people and enjoy spending time together going for walks, to the beach, driving around and sleeping in her campervan etc. We also don?t take tonnes of selfies as we prefer being present in the moment. Obviously now that we are considering this route we will make a conscious effort to document everything more but it means we don?t have tonnes of evidence. We have texts from everyday since we met and photos/videos from a couple of trips away (but no receipts for stays cos we slept in the van).

I have met her family however she hasn?t and probably won?t meet mine as my parents are in the UK and don?t have passports. Also I don?t have the greatest relationship with my parents so I don?t know if it?ll happen anyway :/ at least not anytime soon. Her and my brother have met though as he came to Australia with me.

We can get a joint account and start using it now for things. We haven?t bought anything major together either as we?re quite minimalistic and don?t spend much money on things naturally. It definitely seems our way of life isn?t exactly helpful for evidence purposes lol

·
Registered
918 Posts
Not light reading at all haha!

The other difficult thing is we are very much outdoorsy people and enjoy spending time together going for walks, to the beach, driving around and sleeping in her campervan etc. We also don?t take tonnes of selfies as we prefer being present in the moment. Obviously now that we are considering this route we will make a conscious effort to document everything more but it means we don?t have tonnes of evidence. We have texts from everyday since we met and photos/videos from a couple of trips away (but no receipts for stays cos we slept in the van).

I have met her family however she hasn?t and probably won?t meet mine as my parents are in the UK and don?t have passports. Also I don?t have the greatest relationship with my parents so I don?t know if it?ll happen anyway :/ at least not anytime soon. Her and my brother have met though as he came to Australia with me.

We can get a joint account and start using it now for things. We haven?t bought anything major together either as we?re quite minimalistic and don?t spend much money on things naturally. It definitely seems our way of life isn?t exactly helpful for evidence purposes lol
I was trying to find a post by a user of this forum from earlier this year.

She was in a very similar situation to yours; her and her partner hadn't been together for too long, they both enjoyed a simpler life and didn't have too many photos together (I believe she was Italian and he was Aussie). They got theirs granted.

It really all depends on the quality of evidence you present.

For example, my partner and I don't use a joint account for various reasons such as offsetting property etc but the way we both see it is that whatever money we have, it's ours jointly and we spend from whichever account fits the purchase. My account gives better rates when used overseas so we often use mine when we're abroad whilst his credit card gives extra insurance on purchases.

There is no right or wrong about how to do it as long as you can demonstrate that you're a de facto couple and not roommates for example.

If you're really unsure, it might be worth getting a consultation with a registered migration agent, it'll set you back about $200 but it could potentially save you time and $7000+.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. That?s all really really helpful and reassuring.

If they reject the application do they simply reject it or do they always question things first and give you a chance to explain things or provide more evidence? Cos this would be my biggest worry I think.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thanks. That?s all really really helpful and reassuring.

If they reject the application do they simply reject it or do they always question things first and give you a chance to explain things or provide more evidence? Cos this would be my biggest worry I think.
They don't have to ask for more information but more often than not, if they need anything, they do ask for it.

Evidence taken into account is at time of application so it all has to be from before the date which you lodge, anything which you supply after won't mater too much (but keep it as it will count for the second stage of the application, 24 months after you first submit).

Go through the 4 broad categories and be creative about it. If there's something which you can't satisfy, can you explain why and back it up (e.g. shared expenses, don't use a joint account but here are statements from both of us and receipts to show that we both do the groceries for the household etc).

I took photos of our house to show how we live, our bedroom, how the wardrobe is shared, each of our side tables, even our bathrooms (they can see his and hers toiletries etc), our office room with both of our stuff in it etc.

The case officer needs to be satisfied that it's a genuine de facto relationship. As you said, anyone can fake a relationship and paperwork can be done just for a visa also, there is no hand book that says you must open a joint account otherwise you're not de facto. Use whatever you have to prove that your relationship is genuine.

Gather all the evidence you have and book a consultation with an RMA when you're ready, you can do the whole process yourself if you wish but they can point you in the right direction if you're light on some evidence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.