Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Yes you are able to if you got your TFN.

You probably are not required to this year as you are new here.

But listing your partner on it is good evidence and why I think you want to.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Why is him/she not required to do Tax return this year? As far as Him/she is working and paying taxes. He/she is eligible for tax return.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
There are several persons that are not required to do tax returns, one group is a max amount earned in the financial year.

The OP may not have reached that limit, you are still required to let the ATO know that you are not required to lodge a return.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
You do not need to lodge an Australian tax return if:

•you are a foreign resident and your only Australian-sourced income was interest, dividends or royalties from which non-resident withholding tax has been correctly withheld

•you are a working holiday maker (417 or 462 visa holder) and your taxable income for the year is less than $37,001.

Aside from these exceptions, you must lodge a tax return if any of the following apply:

•Tax was deducted from any payments (such as wages) made to you during the financial year.

•You are an Australian resident and your taxable income was more than the tax-free threshold. (Currently $18,200)

•You are a foreign resident and you earned more than $1 in Australia during the financial year.

•You are leaving Australia permanently or for more than one financial year.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I'm not new here ive actually been here for 12 years and I have had a TFN since 2016 however have never lodged my tax return I wonder if they would back track it for me?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not new here ive actually been here for 12 years and I have had a TFN since 2016 however have never lodged my tax return I wonder if they would back track it for me?
Do you have a myGov account? You can link your myGov account to the ATO and submit your tax returns going back multiple tax years quite easily online, if you have all your Payment Summaries issued to you by your Australian employers. You might be in for quite a nice tax return if you have a few years owing (providing you don't owe them anything!)

https://my.gov.au/EnrolService/enro...mgv2-enrolment-mg-flow&_flowExecutionKey=e1s1

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Wow, that can be a big problem or no problem.

The ATO can be hard, I just had to deal with them on a 1/4 million dollar error they made. Took time and money.

Do you both have a good accountant?

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
The need to file a tax return would normally depend on:

- residency status (for tax purposes, not immigration purposes)
- whether you earned taxable income from any source (income, interest, rent, capital gains, etc.)
- whether your income was over a certain threshold

I doubt there's any need to have a TFN. So you could live here without working and without a TFN but if you have rental income overseas that could require you to lodge a tax return in Australia.

Note - this is from my general understanding of the rules, I'm not a tax whiz.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.