Australia Forum banner
221 - 240 of 6755 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
820 Visa Approved!!

OK so I last posted in January (page 11 of this thread). An update.

TL;DR:
Applied onshore Brisbane from tourist visa to 820 (registered relationship) December 31 2012.
- Front loaded medicals and Form 80 (except UK and USA checks)
Requested FBI Check end of January 2014.
Requested another UK security check April 2014.
Granted 820 Visa 22/04/2014.
Low risk country (USA), no medical or criminal or previous visa issues. Married June 2013.

After providing the requested FBI Check (which took 9 months and four applications to actually get) we waited patiently for another few weeks.

We then got a call from another case officer (I'll call them M1 and M2 cause I can't remember their initials). He asked me some weird questions, almost an interview but he then was just chatty. Then he said that our UK security check was not on file. We submitted this in June last year, same time as our marriage certificate. Unsurprisingly, both of them went walkabout and someone hadn't checked the checkbox on the computer to say that they were "sighted".

So we ran around like chooks with our heads cut off trying to find both to provide new copies. We couldn't find the UK security check. Ended up paying yet another $250 to have everything priority processed and express couriered halfway around the globe. Submitted UK check Thursday the week before last.

Grant email came this morning, after having to follow up with yet another phone call last Thursday.

I cannot even explain the relief as my husband has had a tough time dealing with the entire process. I hope now that we can move on and enjoy life as a couple without the threat of deportation hanging over our heads.

I cannot stress this enough:
THE TIME FRAMES POSTED ONLINE ARE UTTER NONSENSE.
When we applied (December 2012) we were told not to even bother calling before 13 months. This proved to be true when I rang 10 months later and was told in no uncertain terms not to call again until January as they have nothing to tell me. For every single person getting approved in days, weeks, months, there are another 100 or 1000 waiting 13+ months for someone at immigration to even recognise they are a HUMAN BEING.

Happy to answer any questions anyone has about our experience.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
BIG CONGRATS on your approval, MrsGem! :D

Reactions: MrsGemH

·
Registered
182 Posts
Congratulations, Gem! You totally deserve it after all of that. I know I've said this a million times before, but I just don't understand how they decide who's going to get approved in six months and who's going to have to wait a year or more. You'd think it would be first in, first served. Oh well--at least that whole thing is over, and you'll be up for the 801 sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you Inkhearted!!! It is completely relieving. My dear hubby has had the first good sleep in a long time thank god! 801 is right around the corner (December) but at least we have some breathing room :) :) :)

I hope my other post was taken in the right vein. I really do wish for everyone to be processed quickly and for the process to be easier for everyone else than it was for us. I however am extremely practical and want to ensure people aren't expecting processing in days because it just so rarely happens.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
I thought your post was great, Mrs. Gem. Very true and very practical advice.

Reactions: Dinkum

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thank you Inkhearted!!! It is completely relieving. My dear hubby has had the first good sleep in a long time thank god! 801 is right around the corner (December) but at least we have some breathing room :) :) :)

I hope my other post was taken in the right vein. I really do wish for everyone to be processed quickly and for the process to be easier for everyone else than it was for us. I however am extremely practical and want to ensure people aren't expecting processing in days because it just so rarely happens.
Hi MrsGem, Congratualations. Nice to hear your approval after long months waiting. I have read your post and I couldn't believed it took that long for u to get your 820 considering your from low risk country. I had lodged my 820 the same month and year as yours on the same Office. So I don't understand why But doesn't really matter , the good part is you've got your approval that's what matter. So I wish u all the best. :)

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Hi MrsGem, Congratualations. Nice to hear your approval after long months waiting. I have read your post and I couldn't believed it took that long for u to get your 820 considering your from low risk country. I had lodged my 820 the same month and year as yours on the same Office. So I don't understand why But doesn't really matter , the good part is you've got your approval that's what matter. So I wish u all the best. :)
PMV-to-820 applications usually get grants really quickly because they've already determined you're a legitimate couple. They're just ticking off boxes that you're now married and living as a married couple. MrsGem didn't start on a PMV like you did.

Reactions: Star Hunter

·
Registered
575 Posts
That's great news MrsGem!!!

I think it's also very important to make the distinction between PMV(300) ---> partner (820) and straight up 820 applications, because I think most of the very fast grants for the 820 (not all but the vast majority) are those that have come from the PMV.

We are at 4.5 months waiting and nothing so far, but we aren't expecting anything for a year or so. We chose not to front load medicals for the reason that we expected a long wait.

Reactions: CollegeGirl

·
Registered
177 Posts
PMV-to-820 applications usually get grants really quickly because they've already determined you're a legitimate couple. They're just ticking off boxes that you're now married and living as a married couple. MrsGem didn't start on a PMV like you did.
Hi College girl,
What you said is exactly what I suspected too the reason of her long wait. But then again a friend of mine applied from PMV to 820 onshore had to wait 8 months to get her 820 granted when her case isn't complicated. Though me getting 820 quickly is favorable in my part. I also somehow questioned myself how immigration works, and their criteria selection of who gets visa quickly and who will need to wait for a year.

Thank u :)

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
There must have been something unusual in your friend's case that you/she weren't aware of. 8 months for PMV to 820 is pretty much unheard of. It rarely takes more than a few months at most - usually several weeks or less.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's great news MrsGem!!!

I think it's also very important to make the distinction between PMV(300) ---> partner (820) and straight up 820 applications, because I think most of the very fast grants for the 820 (not all but the vast majority) are those that have come from the PMV.

We are at 4.5 months waiting and nothing so far, but we aren't expecting anything for a year or so. We chose not to front load medicals for the reason that we expected a long wait.
Hi Star hunter!
If I may asked you,, does DIAC required medical now for 820 applicant? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good day..
It's been 20 months (20 August 2012) since I applied for partner visa in Sydney and until now I'm still waiting..
21 August 2012 payment processed and given bridging visa A
November 2013 contact immi regarding medical due to hap id number
January 2014 immi informed me that they transfer my application in Melbourne
February 2014 they requested for medical check attached with hap id number (25 feb medical done)
March 2014 allocated a CO and requested for additional documents 28 March of my dependent (2nd week of April submitted all necessary documents)
Lastweek I email immi to ask if the receive the documents but no respond.
So I'm waiting.. waiting.. and patiently waiting.. hay how long do I have need to wait..

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi ghielyn - thanks for sharing your journey with us all. You seem to be making steady progress, even though it is taking a long time. The decision is getting closer. Perhaps, if it takes 2 years, you might get an 801 PR visa immediately. We all have our fingers crossed for you. Keep patient and strong. I'll be watching this thread for your next post. Take care and good luck to you both.

Good day..
It's been 20 months (20 August 2012) since I applied for partner visa in Sydney and until now I'm still waiting..
21 August 2012 payment processed and given bridging visa A
November 2013 contact immi regarding medical due to hap id number
January 2014 immi informed me that they transfer my application in Melbourne
February 2014 they requested for medical check attached with hap id number (25 feb medical done)
March 2014 allocated a CO and requested for additional documents 28 March of my dependent (2nd week of April submitted all necessary documents)
Lastweek I email immi to ask if the receive the documents but no respond.
So I'm waiting.. waiting.. and patiently waiting.. hay how long do I have need to wait..

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
20 months is a very long time for someone not from one of the highest-risk countries, ghielyn, but it does sound like they're actively looking at your application, which is good. In just four months you'll be eligible for permanent residency. If they take that long to approve your 820, you'll go straight to PR. If they approve it before then, you'll be able to apply for your PR as soon as you hit 24 months since your 820 application. Keep hanging in there.. you'll get there!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you so much and hoping for a positive outcome..
I've been here for nearly 5 years, student visa on 2010 in Queensland, then my husband and I start chatting on April 2010, and were in a long distance relationship (his in NSW) but visit us every 3 months in QLD till we decided to live in together and move to NSW on January 2012, got a simple but solemn wedding on July 2012 then applied our visa.. We have a long history, ups and downs and our relationship going stronger each day.. Although its kinda bit frustrating coz its hard to find a job with bridging visa. Were happy and waiting all together..

·
Registered
798 Posts
Keep smiling...

It sound like your love is keeping you strong and happy while you are waiting. College Girl's words are wise and caring as usual. You have full working rights, so hope you can get a good job soon. Take care... and enjoy Oz. I'll keep watching for your next posts...

Thank you so much and hoping for a positive outcome..
I've been here for nearly 5 years, student visa on 2010 in Queensland, then my husband and I start chatting on April 2010, and were in a long distance relationship (his in NSW) but visit us every 3 months in QLD till we decided to live in together and move to NSW on January 2012, got a simple but solemn wedding on July 2012 then applied our visa.. We have a long history, ups and downs and our relationship going stronger each day.. Although its kinda bit frustrating coz its hard to find a job with bridging visa. Were happy and waiting all together..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey everyone,

Firstly congrats College girl, it looks like your visa was finally accepted andyou have got married. Fantastic!

So we submitted my 820 (from PMV) on 28th March in Melbourne. I have received the email stating they have received it and I am now on the bridging visa A. Now playing the waiting game! This time it is so much better though because we are in Australia.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Congrats & good luck

Hi Dangermous
Welcome to the 820 waiting room. Enjoy Oz together while you show how patient you can be...

Hey everyone,

Firstly congrats College girl, it looks like your visa was finally accepted andyou have got married. Fantastic!

So we submitted my 820 (from PMV) on 28th March in Melbourne. I have received the email stating they have received it and I am now on the bridging visa A. Now playing the waiting game! This time it is so much better though because we are in Australia.

221 - 240 of 6755 Posts