Australia Forum banner

4601 - 4620 of 6587 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
820 waiting - 23 months

Hey guys,
I applied for 820 onshore in september 2015 and have not heard anything from the department yet. No case officer or any requests for additional info. On calling the department they were rather annoyed by my call than providing any solutions. So just wondering is anyone here waited that long?

Thanks
Sebs

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey guys,
I applied for 820 onshore in september 2015 and have not heard anything from the department yet. No case officer or any requests for additional info. On calling the department they were rather annoyed by my call than providing any solutions. So just wondering is anyone here waited that long?

Thanks
Sebs
Hi Sebs,

23 months is a long time. You should be able to request an update by now... so it's not fair that the dept was annoyed by your call. You have every right to an update! Did your visa application confirmation have an email address in the footer of the letter? In that case you could email them and request an update.

Maybe if it takes the full 2 years you might get 801 straight away? not sure... Is the evidence in your ImmiAccount up to date?
(I know someone who applied in January 2016, who is still waiting for news... but don't know anyone who applied in 2015 that is still waiting :()

Reactions: sebs

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks
Sebs
HI Sebs,

Nope you are not alone. My husband also applied in September 2015. We received confirmation emails of the application and he was granted a BVC. Since then we have heard NOTHING. We have called so many times we have lost count. Sent 9 emails between us, 2x priority processing requests and 7 update emails as we were over the recommended processing time. NO REPLY at all.. Feel free to message me and we can discuss our situations.

What country are you from?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey SharKs,
Thanks a ton for your reply. I called them again and the correspondent on the other line said "rather than you calling us for this minor issue, I will give you email address to check up on the case". I emailed them but I have not received a reply at all. I have actuaaly hired a lawyer for my application. Even they tried to obatin an update but met with the same repaly "teh processing times on the website are guide only. It may take longer"! I am an engineer basically with two majors in Electronics and Mechanical but working as a waiter as I keep getting declined for jobs due to my visa situation!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Zambian Aussie,
thanks for your response.I am in the same situation as my first question will suggest. I ahve not heard anything. I have sent them email but no response them. I went through lawyer for the application and even they are not able to obatin an update. I am originally from India.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Zambian Aussie,
thanks for your response.I am in the same situation as my first question will suggest. I ahve not heard anything. I have sent them email but no response them. I went through lawyer for the application and even they are not able to obatin an update. I am originally from India.
This is very strange and interesting of immigrations. Was there any circumstances around your application? denied visa, unlawful?? anything at all?

We applied ourselves. We also had friends apply the same month and year. They were in a de facto relationship both from Zambia. One was already an Australian Citizen. They have already been granted a temporary visa last year.

Keep pushing them or put in a complaint

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi ZambianAussie, No I was not unlawful. Infact I was actively engaged with the department to sort out any visa issues. DIBP said they wont give me anymore information as they will only speak to my lawyer cos I have appointed them. So if i have any questions go thorugh your lawyer. I do have two traffic infringements but I have declared them in my application. I wonder if thats what stopping my application or describes someone with bad character.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi ZambianAussie, No I was not unlawful. Infact I was actively engaged with the department to sort out any visa issues. DIBP said they wont give me anymore information as they will only speak to my lawyer cos I have appointed them. So if i have any questions go thorugh your lawyer. I do have two traffic infringements but I have declared them in my application. I wonder if thats what stopping my application or describes someone with bad character.
Well i guess its just a matter of waiting then unfortunately. At least you know your not the only one. In fact there are 3 of us that i know of in this situation. Welcome to the 10% of cases team

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks
Sebs
Hey seb,
I also applied October 2015, no news and no contact since then, am from Ghana so am an high risk applicant, its a long waiting game but am glad am with my family here, have applied BVB three times to go overseas, I cant get a job in my field either cause have been on a BVA and some employers don't even understand the visa.. its hard but I guess patience is the major key here, good thing is we might qualify for 801 straight after 24th month....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey seb,
I also applied October 2015, no news and no contact since then, am from Ghana so am an high risk applicant, its a long waiting game but am glad am with my family here, have applied BVB three times to go overseas, I cant get a job in my field either cause have been on a BVA and some employers don't even understand the visa.. its hard but I guess patience is the major key here, good thing is we might qualify for 801 straight after 24th month....
Hi Diplomat,

Is there anything you have tried to push the case along or have you had any suggestions you might like to share?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Diplomat,

Is there anything you have tried to push the case along or have you had any suggestions you might like to share?
Hello ZambianAussie,

Actually I tried calling in October 2016 but got no feed back, sent emails got no response... a colleague of mine waited 3 years and had no contact then she went to 801 straight , I feel helpless cause they will only contact you when they want to

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone...
Dont know where to post this one.. can someone please help me out ..
I was sponsored by my partner in June 2013.... Got my pr in 2015
But unfortunately things didn't work out and we got separated few month back this year...
Now m looking to marry someone towards the end of this year and I know I cannot sponsor her before June 2018...
But is there a chance of getting her here on tourist visa after marriage...
Any help will be highly appreciated...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Jesus...

Some people are waiting over 23 months?! Holy moly.

I'd be at my wits end if my wife had to be in limbo for that long. OMG.
Have you heard anything from the Immigration? :)

I just passed 16 months! :( and nothing from them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi diplomat, thanks for your reply. I called the department again, was on the call over two hours. On finally reaching to them they said there is no update. The timeline on the website is a guide only. It might take another year depending on the case load we have. Thats all i got from them!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi diplomat, thanks for your reply. I called the department again, was on the call over two hours. On finally reaching to them they said there is no update. The timeline on the website is a guide only. It might take another year depending on the case load we have. Thats all i got from them!
Yeah, that's bullsh*t. I'd get the ombudsman involved once you've made a formal complaint to the DIBP.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sorry, but this is not entirely true. You don't get the bridging visa immediately if you're still on a different visa in Australia, the bridging visa only comes into effect if your visa expires before your partner visa is granted. This also means that if your current visa is cancelled the bridging visa would automatically be cancelled too.

And why pay the ridiculous fees if you're not entirely sure if you want to stay in Australia together? For me at least it took us a couple of years to figure out what we wanted and if we wanted to stay in Australia. It would have also been easier and cheaper to get PR through my work, so this is what we aimed for first. Probably would have been less stressful too...
And some people just have been together for a couple of years before they apply (either in Australia, e.g. if you studied here on a student visa, or they lived together overseas and decide to make the move to Australia).
I see what you mean,good point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all, 820 application lodged in April 2017, I am going crazy dreaming up possible negative outcomes.. wish I'd never opened this thread and seen some people waiting almost two years. I swear I'll lose my marbles.
Also myself and my partner want to try for a family asap (I'm 37 so have to get a move on!) but worried what would happen if I got my 820 refused in the meantime? Anybody got any info on that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Stiller, I applied in 2015 and have not heard a single thing from them. No requests for anything. I still dont have my 820. In your case you have just applied so making any assumptions that your 820 will get refused is not possible. They will definitely let you know or ask you to explain ur case before declining. Anyway I hope and wish you get ur's asap. Good luck buddy!

4601 - 4620 of 6587 Posts