Australia Forum banner

4641 - 4660 of 6587 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
No...no contact since I applied, but I have seen that some of those who applied after me have been requested for further info already!
Wow that is quick! I had my first contact after 15 months, and that was after I contacted them about a couple of things... Hopefully they find a way to speed up the process soon, but it seems to be blowing out more and more...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow that is quick! I had my first contact after 15 months, and that was after I contacted them about a couple of things... Hopefully they find a way to speed up the process soon, but it seems to be blowing out more and more...
Hi, do you remember through which email you contacted them? I am also expecting 801 as a result of our long relationship and child.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not to worry. Just over a year is still an OK waiting time. We have been waiting 22 months so far and no word whatsoever from immigration, despite multiple attempts for an update and priority processing. We are just going to wait until we have passed the 2 year mark and then push more directly too 801 rather then 820. We applied on-line in Perth by ourselves.
Hey there!

we have been waiting for 16 months. I know it is not exactly the same, but can we push more directly to visa 801, if we would not hear anything within 8 months?

Thank you :)

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Hey there!

we have been waiting for 16 months. I know it is not exactly the same, but can we push more directly to visa 801, if we would not hear anything within 8 months?

If you do not have a long term relationship they will only grant 801 if the processing time has taken 24 months or longer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Applied December 2016 and did not expect to hear anything for another year, however my partner (sponsor) had a request to submit his police check on July 21st. I'm guessing someone looked at his application to approve him as a sponsor. Since it has been 7 months since application I have booked in my medicals now and am also looking into getting my overseas police check. Don't think anyone will be looking at my application for another while, but better be prepared I guess. What I found was interesting is that my bridging visa had been send from the ACT department, whereas the request for the police check came from SA. We applied online from VIC.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Applied December 2016 and did not expect to hear anything for another year, however my partner (sponsor) had a request to submit his police check on July 21st. I'm guessing someone looked at his application to approve him as a sponsor. Since it has been 7 months since application I have booked in my medicals now and am also looking into getting my overseas police check. Don't think anyone will be looking at my application for another while, but better be prepared I guess. What I found was interesting is that my bridging visa had been send from the ACT department, whereas the request for the police check came from SA. We applied online from VIC.
I also applied in December 2016, via paper application in VIC. However my partner received the police check in January 2017. I'm hoping this is a positive thing and we are approved faster?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also applied in December 2016, via paper application in VIC. However my partner received the police check in January 2017. I'm hoping this is a positive thing and we are approved faster?
Possibly, however I dare to doubt it seeing as the police check is part of the change in requirements for the sponsor that came into effect in November 2016 and has only been reinforced in the recent changes at the beginning of July. We planned to hold off the police check for 6-8 months due to the out of proportion waiting times coupled with the 12 month longevity of the police check. Nonetheless, I'm glad that someone looked at least at the sponsor's application so we must be on someone's radar.
I have read somewhere that along with the extended waiting times from the start of July DIBP aims to assess front-loaded, low risk applications first, but I think that can be taken with a big grain of salt, seeing as there are plenty people on this forum that fulfil this criteria and have been waiting exceptionally long. Going for my Medicals tomorrow and getting ready to send off my application for the German police check. Also getting ready for another year of waiting :rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Because I applied via paper application, I was not sent the HAP ID to go ahead and get the medicals. Therefore I have already submitted my Police checks for both AUS and UK, because they requested my partner's AUS police checks I am hoping that they will take less than 12 months on the basis that they requested his and his check will expire January 2018.

They replied via email telling me the following after I sent them through and requested the HAP ID:

Dear Ms ****

Thank you for your email.

We confirm that we have attached your Police certificates to your application.

Due to the current processing times, the Temporary Partner Processing section does not recommend that you undergo your health examinations for permanent residency at this stage, as they may expire before a decision on your partner visa application can be made. If your results expire then you will be required to undertake them again.

Please wait until you are advised by the Temporary Partner Processing section to proceed with your health examinations. You will be provided by a HAP ID by your case officer.

However, you can continue to provide other documentation to support you application in the meantime. Information on documentation required for Partner visa applications can be found on our website.

Yours Sincerely

Temporary Partner Processing - Melbourne
GM Family
Skilled & Family Delivery | Visa & Citizenship Management
Department of Immigration and Border Protection
GPO Box 241
MELBOURNE VIC 3001

Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Because I applied via paper application, I was not sent the HAP ID to go ahead and get the medicals. Therefore I have already submitted my Police checks for both AUS and UK, because they requested my partner's AUS police checks I am hoping that they will take less than 12 months on the basis that they requested his and his check will expire January 2018.

They replied via email telling me the following after I sent them through and requested the HAP ID:

Dear Ms ****

Thank you for your email.

We confirm that we have attached your Police certificates to your application.

Due to the current processing times, the Temporary Partner Processing section does not recommend that you undergo your health examinations for permanent residency at this stage, as they may expire before a decision on your partner visa application can be made. If your results expire then you will be required to undertake them again.

Please wait until you are advised by the Temporary Partner Processing section to proceed with your health examinations. You will be provided by a HAP ID by your case officer.

However, you can continue to provide other documentation to support you application in the meantime. Information on documentation required for Partner visa applications can be found on our website.

Yours Sincerely

Temporary Partner Processing - Melbourne
GM Family
Skilled & Family Delivery | Visa & Citizenship Management
Department of Immigration and Border Protection
GPO Box 241
MELBOURNE VIC 3001

Email: [email protected]
Obviously paper and online applications are different, but based on what you have written my understanding is that your partner (sponsor) had been requested to submit his AUS police check, but there was no request for you to submit your police checks? I believe (and I am by no means a professional!) the request was based on DIBP wanting to approve your partner as a sponsor. If the paper application is anything like the online, the sponsor application is somewhat separate from the applicant's and therefore often approved before yours, as the eligibility criteria for the sponsor is easier to assess.

What caught my eye is that the email advised you to hold off with the medicals until advised due to the long waiting times, however the longevity of the police checks and the medicals are the same. Therefore, I probably would have waited with the police checks until the medical was requested. Then again, I also am going for my police check and medical based on the request for my partner's police check. I was not asked to submit my medical or police check, but the online application gives me the option to simply print my HAP ID and referral letter.

I have seen the advice around the forum to wait about 6 months after the application until submitting PC and medicals, however even then there have been people with expired PC and medicals that have still been granted their TR.

PS: it's nice to know of someone who applied around the same time, I'm hoping we'll both get through quickly! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
We can only hope and guess. It's really good to have these forums to compare and also gives a bit of peace of mind sometimes. I actually put the application together myself using other people's blogs and forums! It's proved to be very useful.

I noticed your application date, hence why I messaged you! This site isn't too easy to sift through and find the relevant things sometimes, do you know how I can find others who applied the same time as us, and more specifically for me finding others who applied via paper for their processing times?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I feel if the medical was done and a partner visa app made onshore, the CO would be more inclined to allow the medical to still count even if it has recently expired. As opposed to an offshore application where the medical expiration can actually affect the "must enter by" date.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We can only hope and guess. It's really good to have these forums to compare and also gives a bit of peace of mind sometimes. I actually put the application together myself using other people's blogs and forums! It's proved to be very useful.

I noticed your application date, hence why I messaged you! This site isn't too easy to sift through and find the relevant things sometimes, do you know how I can find others who applied the same time as us, and more specifically for me finding others who applied via paper for their processing times?
I agree, it's interesting to read about other people's journeys who are in the same boat, especially because most of my friends cannot relate to this situation. I DIY'ed the application as well and had been sifting through this forum and blog posts prior to submission. Unfortunately I wouldn't know how to find others that applied at the end of last year, let alone by paper.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Are all partner visa 820 applications assessed in the one processing center? Or does it change depending on where you are located in Australia?

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Are all partner visa 820 applications assessed in the one processing center? Or does it change depending on where you are located in Australia?
There is more than 1 centre. First point they will go to your local office, sometimes if they are really busy they will go to another office (usually WA or QLD).

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is more than 1 centre. First point they will go to your local office, sometimes if they are really busy they will go to another office (usually WA or QLD).
Mish, your whole application process went very smoothly. Do you think you had a really strong application or just lucky?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi - I read that soon Aussie partners may need to apply for sponsorship first before a partner visa can even be applied for (just like how companies currently need to be an officially approved sponsor before an employee can apply for work visa).

When will that partner sponsorship mandate start happening? This year?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi - I read that soon Aussie partners may need to apply for sponsorship first before a partner visa can even be applied for (just like how companies currently need to be an officially approved sponsor before an employee can apply for work visa).

When will that partner sponsorship mandate start happening? This year?
It's kind of already started as since November 2016, your partner has to be eligible in terms of needing to provide a Police Certificate. With any previous convictions, they are not permitted to be a sponsor. That's the first recent change we've seen. Then yes, I've read the same that they will also have an additiona step in the entire process which is having the Sponsor approved first. I also read that they will introduce a second payment for PR and it will not be included in the initial application cost which is currently $7000 AUD

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's kind of already started as since November 2016, your partner has to be eligible in terms of needing to provide a Police Certificate. With any previous convictions, they are not permitted to be a sponsor. That's the first recent change we've seen. Then yes, I've read the same that they will also have an additiona step in the entire process which is having the Sponsor approved first. I also read that they will introduce a second payment for PR and it will not be included in the initial application cost which is currently $7000 AUD
Okay, thanks. I knew about those, so that's okay. The second payment for PR - hopefully it's after we apply in October. The police certificate will be easy with a clear background check, but I just wanted to make sure that the Aussie didn't need to apply a month or 2 before the foreign partner could launch their partner visa application for the bridging visa. As long as it can be done at the same time with the 1 submission rather than waiting around for the Aussie to be sponsor approved, we're okay :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay, thanks. I knew about those, so that's okay. The second payment for PR - hopefully it's after we apply in October. The police certificate will be easy with a clear background check, but I just wanted to make sure that the Aussie didn't need to apply a month or 2 before the foreign partner could launch their partner visa application for the bridging visa. As long as it can be done at the same time with the 1 submission rather than waiting around for the Aussie to be sponsor approved, we're okay :)
You'll know about any changes are when you go to complete the application, it will be different to before. You will also be able to read it on the DIBP website, they update instantly.

If you're processing the application yourself, highly recommend reading other people's blogs online. Simply googling "820 Partner VISA blog" brings up lots of good, high detailed and informative ones! IE - Applying For An Australian Partner Visa - Girl Tweets World and We Survived Part One Of The 820/801 Australian Partner Visa | Maps And Mandalas and How to apply for defacto partner Visa 820 to Australia

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey there!

If you dont hear anything by the time you get to 24months (2years) since the date of application then you can requested to be processed as a 801 permanent rather then a 820 temporary.

It is unlikely but you may end up in that position just like we have

4641 - 4660 of 6587 Posts