Australia Forum banner

6501 - 6520 of 6595 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi.
We don't have children yet but can you elaborate your answer bit more please.
When you say relationship Is 3 years at the time of 820 what does that mean?
Does that mean from the first day of metting until 820 grant OR 3 years time count after lodging app 820/801?

We met in 2018 July first time
Moved in together in March 2019(Bills Joint Bank account, lease property started this time)
Got married in 2019 May(Register relationship)
Applied 820/801 Dec 2019.
Got 820 March 2021.

So in this case from first meeting to July 2021 would our relationship consider in 3 years time? Please clarify as i got confused now in this time game.
OK:
You met in July 2018.
You moved in together in March 2019.
You applied for the 820 in December 2019.

Your committed relationship would have started somewhere between July 2018 and March 2019.

You would know the date that you decided to become permanent partners.

Let us assume it was 4 weeks before you moved in together, so February 2019.

To be eligible for the double grant you would have had to have applied for the 820 after February 2022, ie: 3 years after the date you became a 'committed couple'.

Looking at it the other way:
You applied for the 820 in December 2019. To be eligible for the double grant, your committed relationship would have had to have begun before December 2016.

The double grant should not be expected, as you do not fill the normal requirements.

There are always exceptions, but do not expect to be approved.

Regarding the comment about when the 801 application can be done, that will be December 2021, 2 years after the 820 application.
Now I got right directions.
Thanks alot

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
And also I am not asking for when I can apply for 801. In my case when 3 years of relationship would be completing? thats what I asked.

Clearly this 3 year relationship doesn't start from the time lodging 820.
Should start either from July 2018 or March 2019 when moved in together.
I am confuse 😕
I think you are confusing the issue, when you ask "when 3 years of relationship would be completing?"

The 3 years of relationship must end 'be completed' on or before the date of applying for the 820. In your case, the 3 years relationship would have had to have begun before December 2016.

In our case, we moved in together in August 2014, after first meeting in April 2014.

The 820 application date was May 2016, just 2 years and 1 month after first meeting, but only 21 months after moving in together, the provable "committed relationship".

We were not eligible for the double 820/801 grant as that time frame was under 3 years when we applied.
If we had waited until August 2017 to apply for the 820, we would have been eligible, ie: with a 3 year "committed relationship" at time of 820 application.

·
Registered
80 Posts
And also I am not asking for when I can apply for 801. In my case when 3 years of relationship would be completing? thats what I asked.

I am confuse 😕
I think you are confusing the issue, when you ask "when 3 years of relationship would be completing?"

The 3 years of relationship must end 'be completed' on or before the date of applying for the 820. In your case, the 3 years relationship would have had to have begun before December 2016.

In our case, we moved in together in August 2014, after first meeting in April 2014.

The 820 application date was May 2016, just 2 years and 1 month after first meeting, but only 21 months after moving in together, the provable "committed relationship".

We were not eligible for the double 820/801 grant as that time frame was under 3 years when we applied.
If we had waited until August 2017 to apply for the 820, we would have been eligible, ie: with a 3 year "committed relationship" at time of 820 application.
So you mean to say that in my case I would be completing my 3 years of relationship by Dec2022?
So for to be consider under 3 years relationship double grant then one should have to apply 820/801 after comitted relationship of 3 years?

·
Registered
795 Posts

I am confuse 😕

So you mean to say that in my case I would be completing my 3 years of relationship by Dec2022?
So for to be consider under 3 years relationship double grant then one should have to apply 820/801 after comitted relationship of 3 years?
Yes.
Basically you didn't meet the criteria so it doesn't matter now, not sure why you keep asking.
You now will need to wait for 2 years from when you lodged your 820/801 to continue the process.

·
Registered
80 Posts

I am confuse 😕

Yes.
Basically you didn't meet the criteria so it doesn't matter now, not sure why you keep asking.
You now will need to wait for 2 years from when you lodged your 820/801 to continue the process.
Calm down Aussie83!
I just wanted to clear this which 'JandE' have done so thanks JandE.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi all, long time lurker here. Just thought I would post my timeline here because I found a lot of comfort in similar posts knowing we are all mostly in the same boat.

Partner (Aus)
Applicant (Singapore)

Applying in Sydney
No agent used.
Application: 820/801

First met: June 2015
Relationship began: July 2015
Moved in together: January 2017 (Considered this to be our de facto start date)

Applied 820: 03 March 2020 (front loaded and visa medical supplied shortly thereafter)
s56: 17 June 2020 (for overseas police clearance)
s56 supplied: 27 June 2020 (status updated to further assessment)
General app process email notice: 04 March 2021

In hind sight, I should not have done the medical so quickly and waited a little bit but things were dicey around covid so that was the route I took... I am not looking forward to paying for another expensive medical but alas whatever it must take. I was surprised to get an s56 request that early on but note I have not received anything except the auto generated letter and been on "further assessment" status since June 2020.

My heart does skip a beat every time my email notification pings but it is an exercise in itself to not hover around my application so much and just let things move along at it own pace.

Up to this point I have not had a CO sign off on any correspondence. I only know the s56 was sent from Vic at the time. Really hoping I could be one of the lucky ones with the 820/801 intake increase for this financial year.

Heres hoping to good news soon, would love a double grant!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone.

Ive been browsing this wonderful forum since day one of researching all the details and requirements of applying for the partner visa and it has been extremely helpful.

Applied in 13th October 2020
General purpose letter 6th March 2021
Reminder to upload more documents 13th March 2021

We have organised all medical and police check, the medical is booked for the 1st of April. Will this booking time be too late? will it cause any problems at all? In the email there was nothing specified about a timeframe for getting it done so we just chose the soonest possible date.
My partner (the one applying for the visa) is Italian. She previously had an Italian police check done when she applied for a 482 sponsor visa (late 2018). Since then, she has been back to Italy once, in October of 2019, for 3 weeks. On the immi website it states that a clearance certificate must be provided for any country lived in for more than 12 months in the past 10 years. We were wondering if we need to organise another Italian police check for her for the 3 weeks that she was back in Italy.

Any help is greatly appreicated! Thank you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys,

I applied 25 months ago for my 820 visa. I am really hoping that we will get the straight 801 grant as it would relieve us of our anxieties. We started officially dating (not online, physical relationship) in Jan 2017 and applied in Feb 2019. Are we eligible for the 801 as we have waited over 2 years for the 820? Or because our relationship wasn't considered 3 years long after applying are we not eligible?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi guys,

I applied 25 months ago for my 820 visa. I am really hoping that we will get the straight 801 grant as it would relieve us of our anxieties. We started officially dating (not online, physical relationship) in Jan 2017 and applied in Feb 2019. Are we eligible for the 801 as we have waited over 2 years for the 820? Or because our relationship wasn't considered 3 years long after applying are we not eligible?
I am really looking forward to know what people say on this.
Good luck for your visa.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey popcorn

Same situation here! I could get my appointment on 29th April. Did you get a General Purpose Advice Letter before you booked your health assesment?

I'm a bit concerned now I both got that letter and a generated reminder email even though I already booked my appointment.

The only thing that helped was seeing the below on the Bupa appointment page
"Home Affairs is aware of the limited availability in our centres and that appointments may exceed the 28-day time frame given. In line with the advice set out on the Department's website, customers will be given additional time to complete checks and provide the requested information.

Home Affairs will take the service disruptions into account when considering your visa application. You do not need to contact Bupa to seek an earlier appointment or Home Affairs to request more time to complete these checks.

For any questions regarding your visa application, please contact your visa processing officer. Please understand that the Home Affairs is aware of the current situation and if you have any concerns relating to your visa, you can call them directly on 131 881."

Do you suggest I should let my CO know that I booked my appointment?

Thank you very much
Check in the morning for earlier dates, Bupa adds more time slots for the next 5 days, and also people might cancel last minute. you can modify your booking to an earlier date.

honestly, you dont need to tell the case officer, if you are worried about the timeframe, just upload your Bupa booking email, there's a dedicated attachment category for intention to undergo health check.

Immediately after you do the health check at Bupa, they change the 'health assessment' flag on immi. Your case officer will know the health exam is completed. Bupa said it takes 5 days?

I checked for time slots around 9am on Sunday 14 March and there were time slots all day. I made an appointment in the next 2 hours.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am really looking forward to know what people say on this.
Good luck for your visa.
If you get 820 and you don't get 801, you wait until 2 years have passed since lodgement. This is the 'two year requirement' before applying for the 2nd stage. Once 2 years have passed after lodgement (Let's say you get 820 or 309 in this time, in the 2 years) , you can apply for Permanent partner visa 820 or 100.

The waiting 'two year requirement' for the permanent DOES NOT APPLY IF:

-The applicant meets the child, death or family violence exemptions

-the applicant and sponsoring partner were in a long-term partner relationship at 'time of application'

^^^The 3 years committed relationship is time of application criteria. You need to have at least 3 years long-term relationship at the time that you apply.

someone correct me if im wrong

-
Just a note on this, imagine meeting someone one month and applying for a partner visa the next month and thinking 'our relationship will develop by the time this visa is granted in 28 months time'. You need to have a genuine relationship at the time of application. THat's why theres the 12 month defacto criteria etc. This is what immigration is assessing.You can continue to attach documents after you lodge, but you need to have a relationship in the first place. The '3 year committed relationship' is only an exemption for the permanent visa. These couples still have to wait too. Either way, you will be waiting for the partner visa.

After getting an 820 and having to apply for 801, see a migration agent and see how they could present your evidence in a way that shows immigration that you have a long-term relationship history.

I know someone recently that was waiting for 2.5 years without even recieving an 820 yet, their migration agent wrote a submission saying they have been together long term. 2 weeks later they has a double grant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lady Fortuna visited me yesterday.

My timeline:
Aug 2020 - Applied for 820/801
Feb 2021 - RFI s56, done and further assessment
Mar 2021 - 820 approved

some note that might be helpful to others:
.Our relationship not even a year old (but we has been living together 7 months or so prior application) so we supplied with NSW de facto certificate.
.LOG YOUR SPONSOR APPLICATION ON IMMIACCOUNT AFTER YOU PAID YOUR APPLICATION AND LINK IT WITH YOUR TRANSACTION ID. I learnt it the hard way
.Gave telco call log way before we move in together
.Upload ID, original and translated and applicant 'family card'
.Stating we have same 'expensive' hobby and 'invest' on it together and photo evidences
.Barely upload any 'update documents' after we uploaded required docs
.NO CHATTING SCREENSHOT (eww who does this :p)
.Front load both PC but not Medical
.No 888
.RFI to approval took around 3 weeks to 1 month
.Checking this forum every 12 hours to keep me sane after got my RFI
.Applicant from a SEA nation and sponsor Aussie born
.We are LGBT couple (might be helpful for some)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, long time lurker here.

My subclass 820 got granted today! Here’s my timeline as i know some people find comfort in seeing other peoples journey’s:

Partner (Aus)
Applicant (English/British)

Applying in Sydney, No agent used.

First met: June 2015
Began dating: Sept 2016
Exclusive Relationship began: November 2016
Engaged: March 2018
Married: April 2019

Please note, my wife and I did not live together until we got married due to religious beliefs. But we would consider Nov 2016 to be the start of our committed relationship.

Applied 820/801: June 29 2019
General ‘Application in progress’ email: June 30 2020 & Dec 29 2020.
RFI s56: January 29 2021 (for British ACRO police clearance, AFP check & Medical Exam).

At this point I had uploaded minimal evidence so I took a week off of work to upload around 70 documents (although there were multiple uploads with combined documents so it was realistically around double that).

All evidence and RFI s56 supplied: March 16 2021 (status updated to further assessment)

Subclass 820 granted: March 17 2021.

I was so stoked to get the email! I’m curious though, do I qualify to be granted a subclass 801 anytime soon? I’ve seen people granted the 820 then the 801 a few days later. If not, what are the next steps?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,124 Posts

Exclusive Relationship began: November 2016
Applied 820/801: June 29 2019
I'm curious though, do I qualify to be granted a subclass 801 anytime soon? I've seen people granted the 820 then the 801 a few days later. If not, what are the next steps?

Thanks in advance!
3 years Exclusive Relationship is normally required for a double grant 820 and 801.

Yours was a few months under 3 years.

Otherwise you can apply for stage 2 (801 submission) from 29 May 2021.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys.
Applied for my 820 July 2020.
Got assigned a case officer January 2021.
Was much sooner than I expected. They then requested health exams which I completed. At the end of feb they requested fingerprint police check from Canada. They gave me 28 days however I was only able to get an appointment at the end of March for my fingerprints to be taken. There has been no appointments available and it’s been really hard to get one.
When uploading evidence that you have booked an appointment but require an extension is this normally responded to? I have done this, but heard nothing back. I don’t want my visa being rejected because of this!

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Hi guys.
Applied for my 820 July 2020.
Got assigned a case officer January 2021.
Was much sooner than I expected. They then requested health exams which I completed. At the end of feb they requested fingerprint police check from Canada. They gave me 28 days however I was only able to get an appointment at the end of March for my fingerprints to be taken. There has been no appointments available and it's been really hard to get one.
When uploading evidence that you have booked an appointment but require an extension is this normally responded to? I have done this, but heard nothing back. I don't want my visa being rejected because of this!
This is the current wording from an Australian embassy regarding this sort of thing:

The Department recognises that it can take longer than the provided 28 days to obtain documentation from external agencies in relation to character requirements. You must provide evidence (such as an application receipt for a police certificate) that you are obtaining the requested documentation before an extension of time will be considered. When you have provided this evidence, you can consider an extension of the time has been approved, unless you are advised otherwise.

Just make sure you respond within that 28 days, explaining the delay, providing evidence, and asking for more time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Submitted my application on March 1st. Just got an email with this letter heading:

Your application for a Partner (Temporary) (class UK) Partner (subclass 820) visa application
is currently being assessed by the Department.

I also have a file number.

What does this mean? Make sure all my evidence is all uploaded ASAP?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I am just wondering if a "Reminder to provide documents for visa application" is the same as a s56/RFI?

I recieved this reminder on the 13th of March, 8 days after i recieved the General Purpose letter (6th of March)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone,

I just got my 820 granted, very excited :).

I applied on 14 October 2020. I front loaded (did police checks asap)and then did my medical on 18th Feb. So it took around 5months to get the 820.

We started dating on: 17th Nov 2017
moved in together: 10th July 2018,
Got married: 18th Jan 2020

Y’all have been really helpful, thank you so much for all the info, hopefully everyone else gets their 820 pretty soon too

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have been reading this forum for while waiting..here’s my timeline so far..

20 Jan 2020 - application submitted
20 Jan 2021 - automated message “application in progress”
11 Feb 2021 - Team 4 - request for more information (partner’s police check + my police check from US)
24 March 2021 (today) submitted my partner’s police check and my police check after finally receiving it) 7 months after my first request - I guess 3rd time lucky...my first one was rejected by the fbi bc my ‘fingerprint characteristics were not low to be used’ which took 3 months and so I went back to the police station to do another one and as luck would have it, the 2nd request was lost in the mail somewhere between the US and Aus)

My partner and I have been in a relationship since 2016, lodged in 2020. Hopefully I’ll be able to get 801 right away.

I haven’t been assigned a CO but my application moved to “further assessment” once I clicked ‘I confirm I have provided information as requested”

Fingers crossed that it gets processed soon!!

6501 - 6520 of 6595 Posts