Australia Forum banner

6561 - 6576 of 6576 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi there - I just had another couple of questions if you don't mind me asking!
We are preparing to apply. His current student visa expires in July, should we be rushing to apply as soon as possible or do you think it's OK to submit the application in July?
Also, once he has the BVA, does he have access to Medicare?
Thank you
James
Just a tip with getting Medicare; do it in person. I originally sent off my application online and I never heard anything back. I gave up after one month.

I eventually went to my nearest Centrelink, they did it in less than ten minutes and I got my card in under two weeks.

Just do it in person, it will save your partner so much time :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
820 granted today after 4 months wait

21 December 2020: lodged visa and sponsorship ourselves

March 2021: BVA activated, received general purpose letter, completed health check, uploaded both AFP certificates

1 April 2021: s56 request for overseas police check (uploaded 7 days later)
12 April 2021: 820 grant

Our relationship 2 years, 8 months.
My partner was on a student visa
No agent

Processing offices: QLD, VIC, Australian Embassy Bangkok, then granted in QLD.

I really appreciate the information that's shared in this community, thanks everyone!
Wow, congratulations! That is really fast. I am front loading my application too. Uploaded my Aus police check. Just waiting on my partner's Aus check and my UK check to arrive in the post!

Will do my medical check in the next couple of months, just saving up for it right now. Hopefully front loading means a faster grant like you guys 😊

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, congratulations! That is really fast. I am front loading my application too. Uploaded my Aus police check. Just waiting on my partner's Aus check and my UK check to arrive in the post!

Will do my medical check in the next couple of months, just saving up for it right now. Hopefully front loading means a faster grant like you guys 😊
Thank you!

We did the medical early and if we didnt get an RFI or a response, I planned to pester them in 10 months, before the medical expires or keep uploading evidence.

I still continued to upload updates about every week or fortnight. On the day we got the grant, I had uploaded some more in the morning and the grant came at night.

I've read somewhere that uploading too much causes delays because they have to go through it all, but to me it looks better than not having enough. I didnt want to give them a reason to refuse it or be delayed for 2 years. I had alot of time to organise myself. We planned to front load everything once we were ready and we used everything we had.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts

It looks like quite a few 820s are being granted in 3 to 6 months recently. They have to grant a certain number of family visas by June, and 820s do seem the easiest to grant, with no inward travel/quarantine issues.

Reactions: Brit_in_aus

·
Registered
28 Posts
It looks like quite a few 820s are being granted in 3 to 6 months recently. They have to grant a certain number of family visas by June, and 820s do seem the easiest to grant, with no inward travel/quarantine issues.
That is reassuring! All that concerns me is maybe having to do the medical twice. It is so expensive.

Let's say I do the medical this month, and I get granted my 820 in, for example July 2021. I am eligible for 801 1st March 2021, so would I have to do it again as my first medical is over 18 months old by then?

If push came to shove I could fork out for a second medical, but obviously everyone would prefer not to 😁

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
That is reassuring! All that concerns me is maybe having to do the medical twice. It is so expensive.

Let's say I do the medical this month, and I get granted my 820 in, for example July 2021. I am eligible for 801 1st March 2021, so would I have to do it again as my first medical is over 18 months old by then?

If push came to shove I could fork out for a second medical, but obviously everyone would prefer not to 😁
I get the feeling, from what you said, that you feel you need a medical for the 801 too.

You only need a medical for the first visa, so if the 820 is granted before April 2022, 1 year after the medical, there is no problem.

If the 820 isn't granted within 12 months of the Medical, you may need another, although some seem to go 18 months before needing a 2nd medical.

Reactions: Brit_in_aus

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello community! My partner just received his RFI and we’ve uploaded the info already so we’re hopeful the wait will soon be over.

He is currently on a student visa. I understand he will be granted full working rights once the 820 comes through, and we have a baby due in a couple of months so him working will be pretty important for us...

Are the full working rights immediate?
Does quitting the current course to work full time affect the 820 conditions at all?
Do colleges for international students usually pursue you for course fees if you change visas and leave early?

...just looking for some advice please from those who have gone through this to help us make the best decisions. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello community! My partner just received his RFI and we’ve uploaded the info already so we’re hopeful the wait will soon be over.

He is currently on a student visa. I understand he will be granted full working rights once the 820 comes through, and we have a baby due in a couple of months so him working will be pretty important for us...

Does quitting the current course to work full time affect the 820 conditions at all?
Do colleges for international students usually pursue you for course fees if you change visas and leave early?

...just looking for some advice please from those who have gone through this to help us make the best decisions. Thanks!

When does his student visa expire?

·
Registered
33 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your baby!

Once your partner is on a bridging visa he will have full work rights.

He has to follow the student visa conditions, until the day it expires.

the colleges will pursue him for school fees, if he doesnt have a COE, they can tell immigration unfortunately.

Maybe try to defer a semester? My partner defered for 1 semester and the last semester that he was on his student visa, he asked for a reduced study load. they still got $200 extra out of him for this request (since he wasnt studying 3 subjects, and only studied 1)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks @popcorn :)

I understand the transition from student to bridging visa. My question though is about transitioning from student straight to 820 Partner Visa, because it’s looking like that will come in long before the bridging visa kicks in.

With all the fast partner visa approvals coming through I feel like this sitch may become more common! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I get the feeling, from what you said, that you feel you need a medical for the 801 too.

You only need a medical for the first visa, so if the 820 is granted before April 2022, 1 year after the medical, there is no problem.

If the 820 isn't granted within 12 months of the Medical, you may need another, although some seem to go 18 months before needing a 2nd medical.
Thank you 😊

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi! Just wondering if I should send an email to follow up on my 820? I applied in Feb 2019, so it's now been 26 months. I received a s56 for an updated overseas police check in March 2021, which I uploaded a month ago now but haven't heard anything since, my application status is still "Further Assessment".

Just frustrating since it's been so long and so many others have received much quicker grants (I'm even now past the 2 year period for 801). I feel like our application was pretty straight forward as well - we're engaged, he's an Australian citizen, I'm American and we've been together for 4 years, lived together for 3.5 years. We provided quite a bit of evidence, and our witness statements were from both of his parents who are also Australian citizens.

Any advice? If I should send a follow up email, should I just reply to the s56 email request I received in March? Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi! Just wondering if I should send an email to follow up on my 820? I applied in Feb 2019, so it's now been 26 months. I received a s56 for an updated overseas police check in March 2021, which I uploaded a month ago now but haven't heard anything since, my application status is still "Further Assessment".

Just frustrating since it's been so long and so many others have received much quicker grants (I'm even now past the 2 year period for 801). I feel like our application was pretty straight forward as well - we're engaged, he's an Australian citizen, I'm American and we've been together for 4 years, lived together for 3.5 years. We provided quite a bit of evidence, and our witness statements were from both of his parents who are also Australian citizens.

Any advice? If I should send a follow up email, should I just reply to the s56 email request I received in March? Thank you!
I have also been asked to submit the documents after 2 years of waiting. But the Bupa medical test appointments are available in Mid June only,which is 2 and half months. I wont be able to meet the 28 days timeline. Do I tell them this and apply for an extension ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have also been asked to submit the documents after 2 years of waiting. But the Bupa medical test appointments are available in Mid June only,which is 2 and half months. I wont be able to meet the 28 days timeline. Do I tell them this and apply for an extension ?
Just upload your Bupa booking reciept, even if the date is outside the 28 days.

2.5 months is a long time away, you should check every morning for new appointments/timeslots for last minute cancelations.

I booked my partner's one morning on a sunday at 9am and we went in 2hrs later at 11am.

·
Registered
8 Posts

2.5 months is a long time away, you should check every morning for new appointments/timeslots for last minute cancelations.

I booked my partner's one morning on a sunday at 9am and we went in 2hrs later at 11am.
Thanks for that. I can check for last minute cancellations.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I am also having issue with my HAP ID for medical tests. I generated the HAP ID few months back. Now I'm pregnant and the medical tests required have changed. But the system allows me to print referral letter and no option to edit. Any idea on this ?

6561 - 6576 of 6576 Posts