Australia Forum banner
6721 - 6740 of 6748 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some amazing news at 7.30am this morning. I received my grant for the 820 after what feels like forever (20 months).

After receiving the s56 and supplying what they asked for 3 months ago, it has been an especially frustrating wait. I figured it wouldn't hurt to send some sort of document to maybe ping a notification for the CO I was never explicitly assigned, and it looks like it worked?! I supplied a relationship update yesterday afternoon, and BAM...visa!

My timeline is as follows:
Nationality: Indian
Partner: Australian Citizen

Met my partner: May 2017
Moved in together: April 2019 (De facto starts here)
Application submitted: September 2019 - Front loaded, including police clearances for Aus and abroad (and uploaded when validity expires)
12 month notification - September 2020
Relationship update uploaded - September 2020
s56 RFI/Initial Assessment - For Medicals - February 2021
Status Final Assessment - February 2021
Final nerve-racking wait - February 2021 to May 2021
Supplied one last relationship update doc - 07/05/21
820 Grant - 08/05/21 (Woo!)

Thanks to this forum, you've all been great for many reasons. Will definitely hang around and give pointers wherever I can.
All the best everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sponsor application status of Submitted is very normal. Ours had that for months after the visa was granted.

It might be worth uploading the 801 sponsor declaration too. It might trigger something .
So i contacted the department last week , the answer i got from them "There is nothing additional required , 90% of the applications are processed in time frame with in up-to 26 months, so unfortunately you are in the remaining 10%. So please wait for some correspondence." It is so disappointing to get almost no answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone, long time lurker here. I think I have made a major mistake with my 820 application. I would really like some feedback here.
Lodged for 820 in January 2020 and got advice from friends and a migration agent to not front load the application.

Apparently this could be seen as we are “too keen” and may get rejected. So I uploaded most of my docs 6 months later and uploaded updates last months. Also I forgot to upload form 1221 and 40sp, which i did today, some 19 months later….

So now ppl r telling me I should have done all this when I first applied. so as of today everything is complete. Does this mean I have to wait 21-27 months from now to get a grant?And am I at risk being rejected?? :(

please advice. Many thanks.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Hey everyone, long time lurker here. I think I have made a major mistake with my 820 application. I would really like some feedback here.
Lodged for 820 in January 2020 and got advice from friends and a migration agent to not front load the application.

Apparently this could be seen as we are “too keen” and may get rejected.
<...>
Does this mean I have to wait 21-27 months from now to get a grant?And am I at risk being rejected??
I think you did get the wrong advice.

Immigration always used to say that those who provide a complete application get priority.

Many people who have front loaded have received grants within 1 to 6 months recently.

That 21-27, which means that 75% took under 21 months and 10% took over 27 months, includes those who did not front load.

A rejection for not lodging everything on time is not likely. They normally send a request to you for the rest, eventually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you did get the wrong advice.

Immigration always used to say that those who provide a complete application get priority.

Many people who have front loaded have received grants within 1 to 6 months recently.

That 21-27, which means that 75% took under 21 months and 10% took over 27 months, includes those who did not front load.

A rejection for not lodging everything on time is not likely. They normally send a request to you for the rest, eventually.
Thanks for your quick response JandE. This really sucks :( So now do you think I should ring them or something to say everything is done and to please review the same?
And one more thing. Does this affect the 801 visa? That’s the main one in my eye, and I’ve seen some ppl say they have rec’d “double grants”. What are your thoughts on this.
Again, thank you <3

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Thanks for your quick response JandE. This really sucks :( So now do you think I should ring them or something to say everything is done and to please review the same?
And one more thing. Does this affect the 801 visa? That’s the main one in my eye, and I’ve seen some ppl say they have rec’d “double grants”. What are your thoughts on this.
Again, thank you <3
Having a delay exceeding 24 months does have a benefit in one way. You would stand a good chance of getting the 801 without that additional wait. But that only applies for you if finalised after Jan 2022.

If you have now uploaded everything required, then you can only wait and see what happens.

If living on your current visa is not a problem, then happily waiting and hoping for a double grant after January might be a good thing.

If you need the 820, you could contact immigration and ask if they are waiting for anything from you.

As you have now done the sponsor application, you might actually find the 820 gets processed quickly. I have noticed a few who missed that, and got a grant pretty quickly after finally doing it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having a delay exceeding 24 months does have a benefit in one way. You would stand a good chance of getting the 801 without that additional wait. But that only applies for you if finalised after Jan 2022.

If you have now uploaded everything required, then you can only wait and see what happens.

If living on your current visa is not a problem, then happily waiting and hoping for a double grant after January might be a good thing.

If you need the 820, you could contact immigration and ask if they are waiting for anything from you.

As you have now done the sponsor application, you might actually find the 820 gets processed quickly. I have noticed a few who missed that, and got a grant pretty quickly after finally doing it.
Omg thank you JandE, you’re an angel for responding. So maybe I should ring immigration this week and see what’s happening. But either way, it sounds like it hasn’t extended the time for getting my 801. Tell me if I’m wrong I’m assuming that.

btw is it true that without a child (we can’t conceive) means we have to wait 3 yrs insteadof 2 for 801?
Current visa (BVA) is fine. I have a full time cleaning job atm which I’m so grateful for.
Many thanks, Rina.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Can anyone confirm if we need to provide any stat declaration other than witness 888?
And If it is required and we haven't provided would they request for it?
Also in the first email the case officer name was different Subclass:820; State:VIC
And in the second email asking for information the case officer was different, is it normal? Subclass:820; State:VIC; Processing Office permanent Partner Processing Centre - Queensland
Regards.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Omg thank you JandE, you’re an angel for responding. So maybe I should ring immigration this week and see what’s happening. But either way, it sounds like it hasn’t extended the time for getting my 801. Tell me if I’m wrong I’m assuming that.

btw is it true that without a child (we can’t conceive) means we have to wait 3 yrs insteadof 2 for 801?
Current visa (BVA) is fine. I have a full time cleaning job atm which I’m so grateful for.
Many thanks, Rina.
The 3 year thing relates to the relationship time before applying.

If you have had a committed relationship for 3 years before applying for the 820, you are eligible for a double grant. This reduces to 2 years if you also have a child at time of that original application.

Other than that, you can apply for the 2nd stage (the 801), 2 years after applying for the 820. Having children is irrelevant to that application.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

I know there has been some talk recently about vaccine incentives, and today I found a vaccine incentive website today for vaccinated Australians. It's got all the current incentives and discounts on the one website.
I've checked it out, and it's cool that everything is all on the one page. It also says it will be updated daily, so I will be checking back often.
Here is the link if anyone is interested: Australian Vaccine Incentives

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 3 year thing relates to the relationship time before applying.

If you have had a committed relationship for 3 years before applying for the 820, you are eligible for a double grant. This reduces to 2 years if you also have a child at time of that original application.

Other than that, you can apply for the 2nd stage (the 801), 2 years after applying for the 820. Having children is irrelevant to that application.
ah okay I see what you mean. Yes we were in a defacto for 3 years and 5 months before applying for 820. So I guess I am eligible :)
So in that case, How does I apply for the 801 (in jan ‘22)? Is that like a fresh new application or is it within the immi portal itself?
And do you think it’s okay for me to call immi tomorrow and tell them everything is done, and to nudge them slightly for a CO to be assigned to me? I’ve heard that calling them means they can sometimes put you at the back of the queue. Is that true?
Thank you.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
I’ve heard that calling them means they can sometimes put you at the back of the queue. Is that true?
Thank you.
There is a lot of incorrect information about. It would be hard for many people to know what is true and what is not.
And do you think it’s okay for me to call immi tomorrow and tell them everything is done, and to nudge them slightly for a CO to be assigned to me?
Calling them seems to be a waste of time. The standard answer, from an untrained call centre operative, is to just wait.

Many people do send emails asking if anything else is needed. This does sometimes speed up an individuals grant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a lot of incorrect information about. It would be hard for many people to know what is true and what is not.
Calling them seems to be a waste of time. The standard answer, from an untrained call centre operative, is to just wait.

Many people do send emails asking if anything else is needed. This does sometimes speed up an individuals grant.
Okay great. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats Frances !
I have a few questions:
-How long have you been in de facto?
-Did you use evidence such as "joint will" or have you guys added each other as "beneficiary in Super funds" ?
-Did you have joint lease?
I am asking because an agent told me to have these evidence can make a stronger application.
Thank you
Hi Signa,

We have been de-facto since December 2018. And we didnt have a joint will or add one another as beneficiaries. I can see why that would be strong evidence but its not a necessity. We did have a joint lease, own a car together, etc. Good luck with your application!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I'm quite new to the forum but all the posts here have been so helpful.

I've submitted 820 application and made payments yesterday. Earlier this morning, I received an auto-generated email about "IMMI Acknowledgement of Application Received" but didn't receive a bridging visa A along with it. In the past whenever I lodged an application, Bridging Visa A was always granted instantaneously. Just wondering if anyone has encountered similar problems before? How long does it take for them to issue Bridging Visa? My student visa is expiring in 10 days so I'm quite worried at the moment. Thank you so much for your input!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi @Claritas, I also submitted an 820 application this week and my bridging visa came through 48 hours later. I also panicked!

I have a question of my own if anybody can help….a migration agent told me that “complete applications” are being approved as quickly as 3 months from the time of submission at the moment? By complete he means with police and health checks attached etc.

How can this be true when people from 2018 are still waiting?! I have uploaded everything except for the health examination, which I am nervous to undertake so quickly due to the cost and the fact that it expires. Everything has already cost so much I don’t want to have to do it twice! Just wondering if it’s true, are some onshore application really being approved this quickly? Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Hi @Claritas, I also submitted an 820 application this week and my bridging visa came through 48 hours later. I also panicked!

I have a question of my own if anybody can help….a migration agent told me that “complete applications” are being approved as quickly as 3 months from the time of submission at the moment? By complete he means with police and health checks attached etc.

How can this be true when people from 2018 are still waiting?! I have uploaded everything except for the health examination, which I am nervous to undertake so quickly due to the cost and the fact that it expires. Everything has already cost so much I don’t want to have to do it twice! Just wondering if it’s true, are some onshore application really being approved this quickly? Thanks guys
Immigration do indicate that complete applications are processed faster, when they state: Your application can take longer to process if you don't include all required documents or we need more information from you.

The current medicals last for 18 months, for the 820. (Extended probably due to Covid)

The median time for the 820 visa has previously been about 16 or 17 months. (For 2018-19 and 2019-20 grants).

Recently though, they have been doing some very fast grants, with some taking only 1 or 2 months.

From twenty two of the subclass 820 grants that I have seen this month, the processing times work out at 12-20, in the way that immigration show it, but broken down further it was:
50% done in under 4 months.
75% done in under 12 months.
10% took over 20 months.

Reactions: Sallyo

·
Registered
14 Posts
The median time for the 820 visa has previously been about 16 or 17 months. (For 2018-19 and 2019-20 grants).
Ahh cool, we're sitting at 15-16 months at the moment. It's really just the not knowing and the lack of transparency of the process that drives people spare!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all
We got our 820 visa yesterday. Thanks to this group - massive help. Processing centre QLD.
Nationality Pakistan
Timeline:
Marriage Mar 2019
820 application date August 2019
Medical RFI May 2021
820 grant June 2021
We also redid our police checks before RFI.

We front loaded our application and updated every 3 months after that. We had more than 120 attachments. To all those still waiting hang in there. I totally understand how it feels. We stopped checking and just focused on our life.

23 months will be complete end of this month. Need to start looking into 801 now! Does anyone know of a good place to start with for 801?

Thanks
We just got 801. We got a generic email at 23 months to apply for 801 and were doing to do it next week. To our surprise 801 grant!!!! Hang in everybody

6721 - 6740 of 6748 Posts