Australia Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 6627 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can ask for an extension and provide them with the receipt.

Did her mother just say that you lived together or lived together as a de facto couple? I have heard of that being an issue if you don't use the right terms.

Do you have any mail addressed to you at her mum's place?
Yea, I provided a couple of things which had been addressed to me there.

She said we were a de facto couple, and that we lived together with her. But I wouldn't be surprised if the phrasing was an issue to be honest.

Oh well. We'll register, send everything else (evidence wise) we have and cross our fingers.

Cheers for your help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
820 should I wait to do the health examination or I do it now?

I lodge my application 820-801

should I wait until the CO ask me for a health examination and provides me a HAP ID?? or should I
do it now to try to accelerate the process?

My only fear is that If start the process and get a HAP ID and then my CO contacts me with a new HAP ID it will get confusing..

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Akragth, they probably wouldn't be contacting you and asking you for evidence of the 12 months if they were satisfied you'd actually been de facto for a suitable period. You especially don't want the beginning of the time you lived together to be in question as that's what decides when the start of your de facto relationship is. So if the only evidence you have was a statement from a family member (and you didn't supply for example mail to each of you at that address during that two month period), then yeah, I'd be concerned they don't consider that enough. I'm also not sure if you'd be a day short anyway - people have been rejected for being a day short, and if you started living together on January 1 and applied December 31 at 8 pm or whatever (just an example) they still might consider that a day short. Many people try to extend their WHV somehow or get another day together at least to make sure.

And no, your 14 months together doesn't count for the purposes of meeting the 12 month requirement, unfortunately. You either have to have lived together for 12+ months on the date you applied, or you have to have married or registered your relationship or had a baby together (any of those three) to waive the 12 month requirement. Luckily, registering the relationship is somehow a "time of decision" requirement rather than "time of application" requirement - I'm not sure how or why, but it's been stated by Mark Northam on this forum, so I trust that to be correct. I would do as Mish suggested - go register ASAP, get the receipt, then send it along with whatever other evidence you're going to send to Immi and let them know you've registered it. Then send them the certificate as soon as you get it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Akragth, they probably wouldn't be contacting you and asking you for evidence of the 12 months if they were satisfied you'd actually been de facto for a suitable period. You especially don't want the beginning of the time you lived together to be in question as that's what decides when the start of your de facto relationship is. So if the only evidence you have was a statement from a family member (and you didn't supply for example mail to each of you at that address during that two month period), then yeah, I'd be concerned they don't consider that enough. I'm also not sure if you'd be a day short anyway - people have been rejected for being a day short, and if you started living together on January 1 and applied December 31 at 8 pm or whatever (just an example) they still might consider that a day short. Many people try to extend their WHV somehow or get another day together at least to make sure. And no, your 14 months together doesn't count for the purposes of meeting the 12 month requirement, unfortunately. You either have to have lived together for 12+ months on the date you applied, or you have to have married or registered your relationship or had a baby together (any of those three) to waive the 12 month requirement. Luckily, registering the relationship is somehow a "time of decision" requirement rather than "time of application" requirement - I'm not sure how or why, but it's been stated by Mark Northam on this forum, so I trust that to be correct. I would do as Mish suggested - go register ASAP, get the receipt, then send it along with whatever other evidence you're going to send to Immi and let them know you've registered it. Then send them the certificate as soon as you get it.
Yes college girl is right. Co won't ask if co satisfied 12months relationships .
I just want to share my experience with 12 months relationship. It gave me a hard time. Anyways thx u so much to collage girl, Mish n onbeck who help me through the difficult time.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Yes college girl is right. Co won't ask if co satisfied 12months relationships .
I just want to share my experience with 12 months relationship. It gave me a hard time. Anyways thx u so much to collage girl, Mish n onbeck who help me through the difficult time.
Rose mary ... I have been thinking of you. Any news on your application?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I lodged onshore partner visa in December 2013. Because my immigration agency wrongly think it is ok to lodge as intend to get marriage onshore.
I did not know my my application based on de facto ground until co asked me to provide 12months relationship prior the date Of the lodgement. It means two years ago.i called co and she said she will make decision base on documents provide. All form that I completed before was wrong because when I lodged there are some questions asking me " when u decided to live together? When u move in to live together "?form 80 too ' the address u live ".i completed all wrong when I lodge coz I said only 5months living together before the lodgement.I didnot change the address too when I moved to live with my husband. I did change but it is not 12months .now everything is 12months which I don't have. I did live with my husband 12 months prior the date of lodgement just we don't have proof to show.
I wrote a letter to co asking to correct all answer in the forms I completed. Before I said 5months , now 12months n give her the reason why.
I don't not have the same address as my husband for 12months also telling her the reason why living together why not change the address. I also ask a person whom I rent her house write statuary declaration that I stop renting her room for me since November 2012.N I give her my bank statement showing that I buy groceries n food near my husband 's house .
Guess what .i was grated 820 which I thought I lose .i already prepare money for reviews. I don't know what going on next because I've not request for interview yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Akragth, they probably wouldn't be contacting you and asking you for evidence of the 12 months if they were satisfied you'd actually been de facto for a suitable period. You especially don't want the beginning of the time you lived together to be in question as that's what decides when the start of your de facto relationship is. So if the only evidence you have was a statement from a family member (and you didn't supply for example mail to each of you at that address during that two month period), then yeah, I'd be concerned they don't consider that enough.
Aye, that's the thing, though, we supplied a statement from her mother saying we had lived with her family from the day I arrived to the day we moved in to our leased apartment--along with two examples of mail addressed to each of us, and one addressed to both of us, at her parent's address. It's a bit confusing how much more evidence could be shown on that front. But we do have more mail, and could get her father/brother to also state that we lived with them for that duration, so hopefully that'll do it.

I'm also not sure if you'd be a day short anyway - people have been rejected for being a day short, and if you started living together on January 1 and applied December 31 at 8 pm or whatever (just an example) they still might consider that a day short. Many people try to extend their WHV somehow or get another day together at least to make sure.
Maybe, but we were assured that by applying on the day, in person, we'd be considered as it being exactly 12 months. That came from one of the immi call center folks, so I don't know if that's just that what she said isn't what the CO thinks, or what. If that's the problem then, well, there's nothing we can do about that. It's semantics. I'd appeal the hell out of it.

The problem I've had is that they request more information, but merely restate the criteria they give you to begin with, rather than say where you're lacking in their eyes. If they said ''you've not proven x between the dates of y and z'' then this would have been oh so much easier.

Luckily, registering the relationship is somehow a "time of decision" requirement rather than "time of application" requirement - I'm not sure how or why, but it's been stated by Mark Northam on this forum, so I trust that to be correct. I would do as Mish suggested - go register ASAP, get the receipt, then send it along with whatever other evidence you're going to send to Immi and let them know you've registered it. Then send them the certificate as soon as you get it.
Yea, we're going to go that way. I don't know whether it'll work, the woman I spoke to in the immigration call center said it wouldn't, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I lodge my application 820-801

should I wait until the CO ask me for a health examination and provides me a HAP ID?? or should I
do it now to try to accelerate the process?

My only fear is that If start the process and get a HAP ID and then my CO contacts me with a new HAP ID it will get confusing..
Hi Tom,

Nobody looks at your documents until a case officer (CO) is assigned. To get a CO can take almost no time if you had PMV visa when lodging the 820/801 or around 10-15 months if you applied from a different type of visa.

If you do want to do the checks, I think once you apply there is a link in the online account, on the page where documents you submitted are listed and you can start creating your account for the medical check. That is what I remember I did as soon as I applied, but that did not speed up the process for me.

Welcome to the 'waiting room'.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Maybe, but we were assured that by applying on the day, in person, we'd be considered as it being exactly 12 months. That came from one of the immi call center folks, so I don't know if that's just that what she said isn't what the CO thinks, or what. If that's the problem then, well, there's nothing we can do about that. It's semantics. I'd appeal the hell out of it.
Immigration call staff just offer general advice that is it. The case officer's on the other hand look at the evidence and follow the law as well.

Though I must say I did have in the back of my head yesterday if immigration would see 1 Jan to 31 Dec as being one day short or not.

Yea, we're going to go that way. I don't know whether it'll work, the woman I spoke to in the immigration call center said it wouldn't, but it's worth a shot.
Immigration call centre staff aren't know for giving the best advice. They are trained to follow scripts only and provide general advice. It would be like ringing the ATO and asking a call centre staff if you can claim xyz on your tax return.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Immigration call staff just offer general advice that is it. The case officer's on the other hand look at the evidence and follow the law as well.

Though I must say I did have in the back of my head yesterday if immigration would see 1 Jan to 31 Dec as being one day short or not.
True enough. But ours was 26th Nov 2012 to 26th Nov 2013. That's 12 months to my mind.

Immigration call centre staff aren't know for giving the best advice. They are trained to follow scripts only and provide general advice. It would be like ringing the ATO and asking a call centre staff if you can claim xyz on your tax return.
Touche. And that's why we're trying it anyway :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi - I'm new to this forum and joining the 'waiting room'.

I'm American and I'm a Aussie PR, we are waiting on my English partner's 820.

A little background - My ex husband is Aussie, I applied for my partner visa offshore (NZ) in 2005. That took 7 months, which was part my fault because I was very slow at responding with additional info, medicals etc. Wow - things sure have changed now!

We applied in June 2014. We are defacto - lived together for about 11 months at time of applying but we registered our relationship in QLD. No 5word on the visa yet ... I have a bad feeling ours will be a long one. Especially since I was sponsored myself (although it was well over 5 years ago now and I was married for 8 years so obviously a legit relationship.)

I never got my citizenship... long story, I applied in 2011, moved from Hobart to Kalgoorlie, application got delayed because I had to wait ages for an interview. Then I had to go overseas for an extended period (breakdown of marriage, family illness, then met new partner) so I'm no longer eligible. I will be eligible in 2017 now. Not sure if that would delay my application at all?

We are planning to go overseas for a few months and get married at the end of the year (no date set yet) but want the 820 to be granted first so wish us luck!

Few other quick questions - any word on how long you can be out of the country on your 820? We were planning a 3 month trip. But not if it will cause probs for our 801?

Also, slightly off topic but I hear a lot of people talking about the paperwork for the 801. I thought on the immigration page it states it is now one application and one fee for the both?

Cheers all :)
Jen

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

Once the 820 is approved you can be out of the country when the 801 is approved.

The 820 and 801 is one application but the 801 is not automatic. You still need to provide evidence. There is alot more visa fraud these days so they are asking for more and more evidence these days. So it is best to keep collecting all that evidence.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Hi - I'm new to this forum and joining the 'waiting room'.

I'm American and I'm a Aussie PR, we are waiting on my English partner's 820.

A little background - My ex husband is Aussie, I applied for my partner visa offshore (NZ) in 2005. That took 7 months, which was part my fault because I was very slow at responding with additional info, medicals etc. Wow - things sure have changed now!

We applied in June 2014. We are defacto - lived together for about 11 months at time of applying but we registered our relationship in QLD. No 5word on the visa yet ... I have a bad feeling ours will be a long one. Especially since I was sponsored myself (although it was well over 5 years ago now and I was married for 8 years so obviously a legit relationship.)

I never got my citizenship... long story, I applied in 2011, moved from Hobart to Kalgoorlie, application got delayed because I had to wait ages for an interview. Then I had to go overseas for an extended period (breakdown of marriage, family illness, then met new partner) so I'm no longer eligible. I will be eligible in 2017 now. Not sure if that would delay my application at all?

We are planning to go overseas for a few months and get married at the end of the year (no date set yet) but want the 820 to be granted first so wish us luck!

Few other quick questions - any word on how long you can be out of the country on your 820? We were planning a 3 month trip. But not if it will cause probs for our 801?

Also, slightly off topic but I hear a lot of people talking about the paperwork for the 801. I thought on the immigration page it states it is now one application and one fee for the both?

Cheers all :)
Jen
None of that should delay his visa, but onshore applications are taking 12-15 months at present, so you probably still have a while to wait.

There's no limit to how long you can be out of the country on an 820. If you were going to be gone with no definite plans to return before the grant of your 801 that could be problematic, but just a 3 month holiday won't be an issue.

It is one application and one fee for the 820 & 801... but when the two years have passed and it's time for the 801 he'll have to undergo a "reassessment," which means providing evidence your relationship is still genuine & continuing. Just like for the 820, you'll provide photos of the two of you with friends/family, evidence you share finances, evidence you live together, etc. It used to be much easier, but as Mish said, they've cracked down due to fraud so there's much more evidence required than there used to be. Technically it's a "reassessment" and not a new application, but it does require all the work of a new application, haha. Just not a new application fee (thankfully!).

·
Registered
155 Posts
On the holiday issue…isn't there a requirement for citizenship that you can't be absent from the country for more than 3 months in the last 4 years? Be careful, you don't want the clock to restart again, that would really hurt.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
No, no. :) The requirement is no more than TWELVE months over the last 4 years... and no more than 3 months in the last year of the four. :)

Reactions: jp1985

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, just to update on my situation as I described above/last page--in case anyone gets a similar email to the one I received. Immi were indeed looking for evidence from 2014 not more from prior to my application. The CO suggested things like our newer lease agreement, joint bank statements from 2014, and the such like. All very easily done. He also said that registering, even now, would indeed be accepted as evidence.

That said, whilst I am thankful that it's all they're after, I did think it a bit odd. Is it common practice? I kinda thought the only evidence they cared for was that which was from prior to the application.

1101 - 1120 of 6627 Posts