Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My partner and I are getting close to applying for a 820 visa and we were after a bit of clarification on how everything clicks into place..

1) When lodging the 820 form and making the payment - are ALL "required documents" required to be uploaded at the same time OR do we have some leeway before all other forms and evidence are present? And if there is some time available after the initial 820 application to upload related forms and evidence - how much time do we have?

2) Is the BVA granted after the 820 form is lodged and paid for OR after all required documents are present?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You do have a lot of time to upload all documents after lodging the application, I suggest you try get it all uploaded within the first 3 to 6 months, if not then definitely try get it all done before 12 months have passed also you don't need to do police checks straight away until immigration ask for them as they expire after 1 year and there's that chance that a case officer won't look at it in the first year which then means you would need to pay again to get a new police check.
Hi guys,

My partner and I are getting close to applying for a 820 visa and we were after a bit of clarification on how everything clicks into place..

1) When lodging the 820 form and making the payment - are ALL "required documents" required to be uploaded at the same time OR do we have some leeway before all other forms and evidence are present? And if there is some time available after the initial 820 application to upload related forms and evidence - how much time do we have?

2) Is the BVA granted after the 820 form is lodged and paid for OR after all required documents are present?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
You do have a lot of time to upload all documents after lodging the application
We have seen some pretty speedy onshore grants lately. A lot of people are applying with decision ready applications, meaning they're lodging everything straight away, including police checks and medical exams.

The longer you wait to upload your documents you run into the chance that a case officer will be assigned and could refuse your application based on lack of evidence uploaded. The Department no longer has to contact you (save for police and medical checks) about your application and your evidence. When we lodged our application in February we uploaded everything, including the police checks. I waited a week to do the medical.

I suggest you try get it all uploaded within the first 3 to 6 months
Are you basing this on global processing times or your experience with a s/c 820/801 application? As I said before, the Department no longer has to reach out to you, they can refuse your application based on the evidence provided, whether that's a week, month or 8 months in. It's really best to have everything ready and organized (to the best of your ability) prior to lodging your application. Again, that's just my 2 cents, it's what I've read and learned from a lot of knowledgeable folks here.

there's that chance that a case officer won't look at it in the first year which then means you would need to pay again to get a new police check.
There's also a chance they could look at it within a month, six weeks or two months after the date it's lodged. It's really a lottery at times.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
With the exception of police checks and medical, all required documentation and evidence of your relationship should be uploaded as soon as possible. This can be done within a few hours if you gathered everything before applying, which I don't know why anyone would spend a non refundable $7000 fee and apply without being ready to upload everything required.

Definitely do not wait several months or up to a year. Easy way to get a refusal.

Like I said, the only things not required at time of application are police checks or medicals because 1) They are only valid for 12 months, 2) processing times often go over 12 months, and 3) offshore visas come with a must make first entry by date dependent on their validity. So immigration says you can hold off on those and wait until requested to do them.

You won't have the option to upload until after you pay and submit the online form. After this the sponsor can then access the online sponsor form as well. The BVA is granted automatically after application is received (so after paying, has nothing to do with uploading) but does not go into effect until the current visa ends while the person is still onshore. So person is bound by those conditions and needs to maintain that visa until the BVA is in effect. Current visa gets cancelled, so does the BVA. No work conditions that will come with BVA are only valid when BVA is in effect.

Again, I wouldn't wait more than a few days to get all required documentation and uploads in. It wouldn't surprise me if immigration had someone doing initial checks on applications and ones that don't qualify (i.e., no required docs or evidence) just get straight refusals to clear up the queue. Immigration does not have to contact you requesting anything other than police checks, medicals, and form 80.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You do have a lot of time to upload all documents after lodging the application, I suggest you try get it all uploaded within the first 3 to 6 months, if not then definitely try get it all done before 12 months have passed also you don't need to do police checks straight away until immigration ask for them as they expire after 1 year and there's that chance that a case officer won't look at it in the first year which then means you would need to pay again to get a new police check.
Would you mind supplying a link to this?

From memory (no for me to confirm) your application should be submitted with all supporting evidence (all at once).

The wording stems from the days of paper applications and I don't think it has changed to suit the online applications as it is not possible to do so as evidence can only be attached after application is submitted.

I also recall a warning to Registered Migration Agents about submitting incomplete applications (no doubt a tactic).

I am not exactly sure (in the regulations) if the police and medicals are excluded as the requirement to submit "all supporting evidence" with the application - but in practice they are not required and do get requested.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Definitely upload your supporting documents as soon as you lodge. The Department can assess and reject the application based on the documents in front of them (this can happen long before the application is 'due' to be processed). This practice has been occurring particularly in some work visa classes and I wouldn't risk it happening to a partner visa - not with that $7,000 application fee!

You do have the ability to add further documents after the intial documents. However, I would save this for 'bonus' evidence that becomes available after you lodge. For example, evidence of a holiday you go on together only after the application is lodged.

Kind regards

Lisa Ira (LLB.BA.GDLP)
Principal Migration Consultant (MARN 1467616)
Proxy Migration

e: [email protected]
w: www.proxymigration.com.au

Disclaimer: This message is general in nature does not constitute migration or legal advice and should not be relied upon. To provide you with migration advice, we need to consult with you to obtain your full information and circumstances. If you wish to receive migration advice please email us to arrange an appointment.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
You do have a lot of time to upload all documents after lodging the application, I suggest you try get it all uploaded within the first 3 to 6 months, if not then definitely try get it all done before 12 months have passed..
I suggest that all vital evidence is uploaded immediately after you lodge the application. If you don't have the evidence, you should not be lodging the application.A decision can be made at any time without a request for further documentation. Waiting 3 to 6 months is absolutely not a good idea.

Reactions: CollegeGirl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,
Can anyone help advise me with this question: We know that a registred relaitonship can replace the 12-month condition for De Facto Visa. However, if we cannot get the official certificate before our current visa is expired, can we still lodge the de facto visa application with the application receipt and reference number issued by Birthday, Death and Marriage Office, then provide the official certificate later when it is available?

Or must we have the certificate in hand by the time we lodge the visa application ? Would highly appreciate your response. Thank you !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.