Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone-
My wife and I have lived in the US for the last nine years and will be relocating to Australia in November of this year. My wife is an Australian citizen and I'll be arriving in Australia on an ETA visa and applying for an 820/801 shortly after arrival.

My question is around whether my wife needs to prove she can financially support me via bank statements, work history, etc. Is that a requirement to be able to "sponsor" me?

The reality is that for the last couple years, my wife has been a stay-at-home Mom with our son and I have been the sole earner/financial supporter of our family. This will continue to be the case when we move to Australia, where I already have an employment contract and job lined up. So, I will be supporting my wife/family, as opposed to the other way around.

Any chance this will cause an issue with my application, in that my wife's work history, tax returns, etc won't demonstrate an ability to financially support me? Any insights would be appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Currently not a problem, but that may change next year - so should not be anissue for you.

Just remember to be on vacation when you hit the border and for first 3 months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I assume on the first three months, you mean while I wait for my ETA to expire and my bridging visa to take effect? I only recently learned that's the case so yeah, I'm planning on some down time for that first 90 days.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Yep. You'll get a BVA grant as soon as you apply for the 820 but it won't kick in until the 3 month stay expires and no work rights until you're actually on the BVA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.