Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

my partner (German) and I (German/ Australian PR) are applying for 820 visa.We just don't understand what the immigration mean with de facto. We have known each other since 2012 but got together beginning September 2016 when I was in Germany. I had to go back to Australia so were in a long distance relationship from mid-September2016. We were in contact every day we caught up in Bali and then he came to Australia in November 2016. Unfortunately, he had to go back to Germany for work. He was 31 and could not apply for a working holiday visa anymore. We wanted to spend our lives together but could not do it straight away as he could apply for a tourist visa only and I could not go back to Germany straight away as I was on the rental lease with my friend and had to pay off my personal loan.
I went back to Germany in January 2017 for a few weeks, and he came back to AUS in February. We opened a joint account beginning March 2017. When I finally sorted out my living situation with my friend and paid off my loan I went back to Germany to live with him from the beginning of July 2017. We both wanted to live in Australia. So we came back to AUS in November 2017. He is still on a tourist visa which will expire in February 2018. We have been together for over 1 year. But when did the relationship become a de facto from immigration perspective? Is it when we decided we want to be together in September 2016 and that we will make it work when being in a long distance relationship? Or when he first came to see me in Australia in November 2016 or when we opened a joint account in March 2017 or when I moved back to Germany in July 2017? Please, I need your help.
Thank you Kathringo

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
When did you first make a commitment to a life with each other at the exclusion of all others?

Can you back this date up with full evidence?

If you have a date and can answer yes, then that's the date.

Living temporarily apart is not an issue and can be expected in the world of international immigration.

I would suggest your date is probably Sep 2016.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You want to have a documented bit of evidence that is in excess of 12 months old as your de facto date. Check emails to each other and family/friends even work or insurance docs.

Once you find that and it must be over 12 months old, you can mutually select a date near that such as an event you went to together. This could be a concert or a birthday party but I would keep it within a couple of months of the documented evidence.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.