Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hope this is in the right place this time - thanks tijanaoc:D.
My Thai wife and I (Australian Citizen) have been married for 17 yrs, and been together for over 24 years. We don't have a lot of proof other than marriage certificate, Thai house papers, a 17 year old dual national daughter, and I could dig up some bank transfers, and hundreds of flight details. We own a few houses in Thailand and I am paying off a house in Australia. Not joint names as its not legal to do so. Have a joint ANZ account 20+ yrs old.
I was a ship builder so worked all over the world using Thailand as my base and was going to retire in Thailand. In 2013 I had to return to Australia to care for sick Mother. Still doing that.
I am now on the Disability Support Pension and DVA Intermediate pension; and my wife and daughter will be joining me this year for a holiday.
They gave my wife a Visitors Visa (FA)(subclass 600) Stay for/until 3 months, 8101 and 8201 restrictions.
Daughter has Thai & Australian Passports.
We were a bit peeved at the 3 month limit, as we asked for 12 months.
I queried that and they suggested we look at alternatives like the Partner Visa.
I have prepared the forms and have questions about where best to submit.
309 in Thailand is problematic as I spend 9 months a year in Australia caring for my Mother - and I would need to do the research/supply of docs if required.
820 in Australia during this holiday seems more attractive but have no definitive answer if this is possible based on my Wife's visa restrictions.

Plenty of posts relating to this but none answer my exact question.
We are keen to do either before the next big price hike due in July, which is just before my wife will have to exit Australia (19th).
Can someone please supply some guidance??

As my health is deteriorating my wife needs to be in Australia when I die, to lodge her application for DVA Widows pension, so we thought it best to get this Partner Visa before they stop tourists and immigrants completely,

Regards and thanks in advance
Robin

·
Registered
814 Posts
As long as she doesn't have a No Further Stay condition on her visitor visa you can do an onshore 820 application.

Sorry to hear your health is deteriorating. I have heard of DHA expediting a partner visa application where there are compassionate and compelling circumstances affecting the Aus citizen partner. Might be worth looking into that.

As far as your evidence, there'd be no escaping that. You will need evidence of your relationship to support your wife's partner visa application. The evidence will need to cover social and financial aspects of your relationship as well as nature of your commitment and nature of your household. Given that you have been married a long time this shouldn't be too difficult. However if you're at all unsure (and given your health issues, you'll want to make sure you do this right) I would highly recommend a consult with a reputable RMA (several on this forum) who can look at your circumstances what evidence you have and point you in the right direction.

The visa process is stressful enough at the best of times. There are lots of people that do the application themselves (including me and my husband) - but it does take a lot of work to gather evidence and present it in the best way. If there are extenuating circumstances such as it sounds like in your case, I would 100% consult with a RMA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for quick response

I spoke to a guy purporting to be an RMA in Albury, NSW.before I came to Thailand in February
His response was:
a. we'd never get the tourist visa in the first place
b. sign up now before the price increases to $10000.
His fee was AUD$5000.
Natuarally I baulked at that.

I came over to Thailand to sort out the Visitor Visa, because in the past my wife had been flatly refused (2005) and required me to intervene with consular officials. Amazingly after requesting 12 mths they gave us what I outlined above.

Here we have been quoted AUD$2000 by Thai company.

Like some other threads have said we do most of the work, they collate and deliver. Its easier to do this in Australia

I'm happy to fight our way through this.

I have filled in the form on immiaccount and manually on pdf. Ready to go. I have the extra forms for myself and daughter filled in. The witness Stat Decs will be from Australians. I have good pdf or jpg copies of:
* Birth Certificates, Daughters Citizenship By Birth
* ID Cards
* Passports - which when corroborated show how we traveled together in 1995,
* House registration Papers - we are all on it
* Marriage Certificates
* My Decri Nicis
* Translations where required.

How do we prove I supported my family for over 20 years, its just something we don't keep records of??? other than a marriage certificate and daughters birth certificate showing her parents name????

Blatantly obvious to everyone that knows us.

But I take your point, I will give them 20 years worth of my flights in/out of Thailand and the history behind them (mainly employment) which will take probably 10 pages of information they simply wont be able to absorb.
I mean they failed to see we asked for a simple 12 month Visitor Visa so we could visit my grand kids, and family along the east coast. It would take at least 6-8 mths to do that trip. Yet they claim they take all info into consideration.

Enough of my complaining. You have been a great help. There is no caveat that I can see on the advice that says "no further stay" only "Stay for/until 3 months" and its valid until 2012. My interpretation is that she is allowed entry on a 3 monthly basis until 2021.
She had a similar visa in 2005 which she used twice.

So we will plan and prepare to submit when we land in Australia next month.

I would dearly like advice as you recommend, but that's beyond our means at present rates described above.

·
Registered
814 Posts
An initial Skype consult with one of the agents listed in that thread will only cost you about $200. I've not used them myself but other people on this forum have and they come highly recommended. None of them will rip you off and it may well be the best $200 you've ever spent.

Good luck in any case. As you said with a long standing relationship like that it should be easier to get a visa sorted. Alas they ask same evidence of everyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found some photos dating back to 1994, so will make up an album.

You mention agents listed in a thread which one are we referring to?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.